• Happy
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Tired
      Senior Dog

Was talking to my trainer about the puppies and what class they will take in Jan.

Our center doesn’t usually offer Competition Puppy classes, so they’ve been taking private lessons and mostly working at home with me. The plan was originally to have them go into Attention, but turns out there might not be enough demand for an Attention class yet.

So instead, she said they are going to offer a Competition Puppy class that will work on “focus, fun, and skills” meaning some Attention work, but also the beginnings of all the exercises through the advanced levels as well as setting the foundation for some of the motivational games we play. We’ve done some of this at home, but doing it in a class setting will be a good thing for the pups, plus we can take it further as they progress. The reason we don’t usually offer Competition Puppy classes is both demand and the trainer prefers to do it when she has a puppy she is working with and she hasn’t had a new dog in a while. She still doesn’t have a new dog, LOL, but it occurred to her that I have an extra, so she will be using one of my puppies as a demo dog most of the time (probably switching out which one).

That solves the problem of how do I manage training two puppies at once in one class - have a professional/OTCH/Obedience judge train the other one!
      Annette

Cookie (Jamrah’s Legally Blonde, BN) 6/4/2015
      Sassy (Jamrah’s Blonde Ambition, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC Windsong’s Femme Fatale, UDX2, OM4) 6/7/2009

Remembering:
      Scully (Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, RN) 4/4/1996 - 6/30/2011
      Our foster Jolie (UCh Windsong’s Genuine Risk, CDX, WC) 5/26/1999 - 3/2/2014
      and Mulder (Coventry’s I Want to Believe, UD, VER, WC, RN) 5/26/1999 - 4/20/2015

Hidden Content

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Annette47 For This Useful Post:

barry581 (12-06-2015), Charlotte K. (12-05-2015), kimbersmom (12-05-2015), POPTOP (12-05-2015), Scoutpout (12-04-2015), windycanyon (12-05-2015)

Senior Dog
      Nice!

Senior Dog
      That is awesome!
      Hidden Content

Tammy
      Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

Senior Dog
      an excellent solution!

i've been wondering what to do when my new "whatever" comes along "whenever" hopefully this coming year. Where i go, they don't have a Competition puppy either, and although i'm happy to take him/her thru levels 1 thru 3, the puppy class is 4 weeks of pet puppies mostly learning their names, sit, and recall, and educating owners on all things puppy. There is also social time for the puppies.

A place near here has competition puppy, but i feel almost dis-loyal going there! its a really weird thing that happens when you train with one place for a long time. i've received soooooo much help and support with Scout, that i must admit i'm also a bit nervous about going somewhere new! (not that i don't know the trainer - i've trialed under her, stewarded for her, and had group dinner together several times - she like my regular trainer is Obed and Rally judge with several OtCH's) several of the ladies i've trialed with and who also train at the place i do have taken comp. puppy with the other trainer, as well as seminars etc. and in fact 2 of the ladies are going in January with pups.

I'm glad you've found a good workable solution for your girls!
      Hidden Content
      Scout CD RAE6 WC March 6, 2007; Tullemore Browning Superposed PCD "Trigger" Nov 11, 2016
      Missing:
      Castelleja's Dual Mags "Mags" March 1993 - March 2008
      "Pocco" the chocolate wonder August 1993 - December 2007

Senior Dog
      That'll work
      Hidden Content
      The WindyCanyon Girls, Fall 2016
      IntCh WindyCanyon's Ruby Pink BN CD RA CC (2.5 yrs)
      IntCH WindyCanyon's Envy CDX RE JH CC (8.5 yrs)
      IntCH WindyCanyon Patent Nfringement CDX RA JH CC (11 yrs)
      IntCH WindyCanyon's Northern Spy CDX RA JH OA OAJ CC (12.5 yrs)
      IntCH WindyCanyon's Kanzi BN CDX RE JH (3 yrs)
      IntCH HIT WindyCanyon's Kiku A Fuji Too CDX RE JH CC (8 yrs)
      IntCH WindyCanyon's SweeTango CD RA JH CC (7 yrs)

Senior Dog
      Quote Originally Posted by Scoutpout View Post
      an excellent solution!

i've been wondering what to do when my new "whatever" comes along "whenever" hopefully this coming year. Where i go, they don't have a Competition puppy either, and although i'm happy to take him/her thru levels 1 thru 3, the puppy class is 4 weeks of pet puppies mostly learning their names, sit, and recall, and educating owners on all things puppy. There is also social time for the puppies.

A place near here has competition puppy, but i feel almost dis-loyal going there! its a really weird thing that happens when you train with one place for a long time. i've received soooooo much help and support with Scout, that i must admit i'm also a bit nervous about going somewhere new! (not that i don't know the trainer - i've trialed under her, stewarded for her, and had group dinner together several times - she like my regular trainer is Obed and Rally judge with several OtCH's) several of the ladies i've trialed with and who also train at the place i do have taken comp. puppy with the other trainer, as well as seminars etc. and in fact 2 of the ladies are going in January with pups.

I'm glad you've found a good workable solution for your girls!
      Talk to your regular trainer about it far in advance. If she competes, she should understand your problem and hopefully have some advice other than “just take the classes here”.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Annette47 For This Useful Post:

Scoutpout (12-07-2015)

Sounds like the perfect solution!

Senior Dog
      that's terrific! perfect solution

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
    Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos