• Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Drunk
  • Geeky
  • Grumpy
  • Happy
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Tired
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Results 1 to 10 of 16

    Thread: New Dog Stuff!

    1. #1
      Senior Dog
      Labradorks's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2014
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      3,826
      Thanked: 2311

      New Dog Stuff!

      I know this won't mean much to many, but it was super exciting for me to get my first brand new set of articles in the mail today! I've been using hand-me-down stuff that happened to fit my dog(s). And a random breathable bag. It was all very plain and very sad.

      They are expensive! They are custom-ordered for the dog. Besides size you have to choose type and now they offer colors, so it took me at least a month to decide and feel confident in what I was purchasing. Once you order them it takes a month to get them. That was painful!

      Clearly I have to only get dogs with giant mouths from now on.

      Aren't they beautiful? They will never be this pristine again!

      -articles-jpg

    2. #2
      Senior Dog
      Annette47's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Central NJ
      Posts
      2,314
      Thanked: 2050
      Very pretty! Where did you get them? Mine are from Max200 but we were all drooling over these in class the other day: Dog Training Treasures - Utility Scent Articles

      I’ve got 5 sets of articles here, LOL. Two each from Scully and Mulder (who needed bigger articles than Scully). Chloe learned on Scully’s articles but I got her her own set last year (pink and purple) - fortunately she had won a big gift certificate at a tournament which paid most of it. We’re actually starting the puppies on scent articles at their next class, but they can use the old ones for now. Going to be fun picking colors for them some day though!

      Oh, and I have to decide if I want to bother with wood ones ... for now it’s handler choice but I heard rumors they may eventually require you to bring all 3 and the judge will decide ... don’t know if that will really happen though.
      Annette

      Cookie (Jamrah’s Legally Blonde, CD, BN) 6/4/2015
      Sassy (Jamrah’s Blonde Ambition, CD, BN) 6/4/2015

      Chloe (OTCH HIT HC Windsong’s Femme Fatale, UDX4, OM6) 6/7/2009


      Remembering:
      Scully (Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, RN) 4/4/1996 - 6/30/2011
      Our foster Jolie (UCh Windsong’s Genuine Risk, CDX, WC) 5/26/1999 - 3/2/2014
      and Mulder (Coventry’s I Want to Believe, UD, VER, WC, RN) 5/26/1999 - 4/20/2015

      Hidden Content

    3. #3
      Senior Dog
      Labradorks's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2014
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      3,826
      Thanked: 2311
      Quote Originally Posted by Annette47 View Post
      Very pretty! Where did you get them? Mine are from Max200 but we were all drooling over these in class the other day: Dog Training Treasures - Utility Scent Articles

      I’ve got 5 sets of articles here, LOL. Two each from Scully and Mulder (who needed bigger articles than Scully). Chloe learned on Scully’s articles but I got her her own set last year (pink and purple) - fortunately she had won a big gift certificate at a tournament which paid most of it. We’re actually starting the puppies on scent articles at their next class, but they can use the old ones for now. Going to be fun picking colors for them some day though!

      Oh, and I have to decide if I want to bother with wood ones ... for now it’s handler choice but I heard rumors they may eventually require you to bring all 3 and the judge will decide ... don’t know if that will really happen though.
      Thanks -- I really like how they turned out! I started out thinking of purchasing the ones that are locally made. Super plain, good quality, economical. Then, I swung the other way and almost went for ones similar to your link from Scents A Bell (the teal and black ones, to be exact!). I have the envelope with leather color samples even. However, they are $100+ more than the ones I ended up with (even with the size and color $$ add-ons) so I could not justify it. They would have been about $300 and these were $200. I got these from Max 200 -- they now offer color! The numbers are blue, too. Hard to see in the photo.


      Since I trained him on metal and he is fine with it, I decided to stick with metal. But it took awhile to actually decide.

    4. #4
      Senior Dog
      Annette47's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Central NJ
      Posts
      2,314
      Thanked: 2050
      Quote Originally Posted by Labradorks View Post
      Thanks -- I really like how they turned out! I started out thinking of purchasing the ones that are locally made. Super plain, good quality, economical. Then, I swung the other way and almost went for ones similar to your link from Scents A Bell (the teal and black ones, to be exact!). I have the envelope with leather color samples even. However, they are $100+ more than the ones I ended up with (even with the size and color $$ add-ons) so I could not justify it. They would have been about $300 and these were $200. I got these from Max 200 -- they now offer color! The numbers are blue, too. Hard to see in the photo.


      Since I trained him on metal and he is fine with it, I decided to stick with metal. But it took awhile to actually decide.
      I’ve seen those Scents A Bell ones while stewarding ... they ARE really nice, but you are right - very pricy!

    5. #5
      Senior Dog
      Labradorks's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2014
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      3,826
      Thanked: 2311
      Quote Originally Posted by Annette47 View Post
      I’ve seen those Scents A Bell ones while stewarding ... they ARE really nice, but you are right - very pricy!
      I decided that I would not spend that much on scent articles unless I was going to be on TV! I think Heart had them at Westminster.

    6. #6
      Senior Dog
      Annette47's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Central NJ
      Posts
      2,314
      Thanked: 2050
      Quote Originally Posted by Labradorks View Post
      I decided that I would not spend that much on scent articles unless I was going to be on TV! I think Heart had them at Westminster.
      LOL ... I think I might spring for them as a reward for an OTCH if we ever get there!

    7. #7
      Senior Dog
      Happy
       
      POPTOP's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Illinois
      Posts
      10,572
      Thanked: 6420
      Getting any new dog stuff is exciting. You have opened my eyes to the fact that there are different types, sizes, colors. Leather??

      How in the world do you know what size? Wood or metal?
      Hidden Content
      Kissing Bandit

    8. #8
      Senior Dog
      Annette47's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Central NJ
      Posts
      2,314
      Thanked: 2050
      Quote Originally Posted by POPTOP View Post
      Getting any new dog stuff is exciting. You have opened my eyes to the fact that there are different types, sizes, colors. Leather??

      How in the world do you know what size? Wood or metal?
      Up until this year, you were required to have both leather and metal articles. The dog is required to perform the exercise twice, once finding one of each type. Beginning this year, you are allowed to substitute wood articles for one of the other two types. Most people who choose to use wood use it instead of metal as some dogs don’t like holding metal articles (especially the non-retrieving breeds).

      To figure the size, you basically have the dog hold something like a dowel and measure the distance from side to side - you don’t want it much wider than their mouth, and definitely not narrower. For a Lab you could get the standard size ends that go with that length, but if you have a dog with a long pointy nose like a collie or a short flat nose like a pug you would want different sizing on the ends. Some people use completely different shapes - there is no rule saying it has to be in a dumbbell shape. I train with a judge who uses leather rings (sort of like a small collar) for her leather articles and canning lids with handles (a metal circle with a semi-circle set at 90 degrees to the circle) for her metal articles. She has a Springer.

      If you are using dumbbell style ones, as for how thick the middle part is, that’s personal preference for the dog ... you just experiment and see what they like. When someone new is getting articles for the first time at class, us old-timers usually let them try one of ours to see how it fits on the dog and adjust from there.

    9. #9
      Senior Dog
      Scoutpout's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Tri Cities Ontario
      Posts
      2,293
      Thanked: 1109
      wow, those are all so fancy! up here, i see folks carrying leather, metal and wood, and the Judge posts what the pick-up articles will be, the whole shebang is spread on the floor. And they're all so plain... plain unpainted wood, plain aluminum, and plain undyed leather.
      Hidden Content Hidden Content
      Scout CD RAE6 WC March 6, 2007; Tullemore Browning Superposed PCD RN RI "Trigger" Nov 11, 2016
      Missing:
      Castelleja's Dual Mags "Mags" March 1993 - March 2008
      "Pocco" the chocolate wonder August 1993 - December 2007

    10. #10
      Senior Dog
      Happy
       
      POPTOP's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Illinois
      Posts
      10,572
      Thanked: 6420
      Thank you so much for the explanation. I've seen it done at a couple of dog shows but did not begin to realize all the ins and outs.

    Quick Reply Quick Reply

     



    Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
    Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •