• Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Drunk
  • Geeky
  • Grumpy
  • Happy
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Tired
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Results 11 to 18 of 18
    1. #11
      Senior Dog
      Meeps83's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Wisconsin
      Posts
      1,855
      Thanked: 999
      Quote Originally Posted by Labradorks View Post
      I thought it was believed that the fish oil was great for the brain and the joints and it was really coconut oil that was good for the skin/coat? It's all so confusing. I'm thinking that no one really knows! The coconut oil is virgin, organic, etc. I do not microwave it. They love it anyway they can get it.
      Here is an article I found strictly on coconut oil when i was researching supplements. I don't know what it does for the brain, but it does help with allergies and arthritis among MANY other things.
      Coconut Oil For Dogs: The Ultimate Guide

    2. #12
      Senior Dog
      Sad
       
      Charlotte K.'s Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      somewhere out there
      Posts
      920
      Thanked: 567
      Coconut oil, raw and organic, was a big fail for my dogs. The older yellow Lab looked awful on raw premade diets and lost weight no matter what I fed or how much. We only went about 6 mos on straight raw for him. I felt that gave enough time for detox. Stools were fine. Then the raw got recalled and I threw in the towel. He does better on kibble with toppers of fresh food and his coat is great now. Cooked is usually better for him.

    3. #13
      Real Retriever
      SCDoug's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Monterey Bay, CA
      Posts
      268
      Thanked: 84
      We feed Lola the Canine Caviar duck formula as her main food. We haven't tried the fish formula though, but have fed a couple of bags of the Canine Caviar buffalo formula. We normally add veggies, sweet potato, or pumpkin on top with a pro-biotic 3 times a week.

      Lola had food issues early on (bad ears, loose stools, dull coat), so we ended up getting her tested for food allergies. I don't know if the tests were accurate or we were just lucky, but the Canine Caviar duck and buffalo formulas have no ingredients that she was allergic to, so we've stuck with it. Sooo expensive though. She's done great on it...perfect stools, healthy ears, and her coat is beautiful.

      We also feed a prepared (Primal) raw for a couple a meals a week, and occasionally wiill cook some meals.
      Hidden Content

      Just another day at the beach.....

    4. #14
      Senior Dog
      Labradorks's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2014
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      3,390
      Thanked: 1914
      Quote Originally Posted by SCDoug View Post
      We feed Lola the Canine Caviar duck formula as her main food. We haven't tried the fish formula though, but have fed a couple of bags of the Canine Caviar buffalo formula. We normally add veggies, sweet potato, or pumpkin on top with a pro-biotic 3 times a week. Lola has done great on it...perfect stools and her coat is beautiful.

      We also feed a prepared (Primal) raw for a couple a meals a week, and occasionally wiill cook some meals.
      I did not know it came in so many flavors. I will have to look it up on Chewy.com. Only one place locally carries it, and they are limited. So far, so good (knock on wood) with the poop. I'm feeding Sam 100% kibble and Linus one meal a day of kibble and one meal a day of raw. Both transitioned just fine. We'll see how things continue!

      Why do you feed a probiotic? Canine Caviar contains one.

    5. #15
      Real Retriever
      SCDoug's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Monterey Bay, CA
      Posts
      268
      Thanked: 84
      Quote Originally Posted by Labradorks View Post
      I did not know it came in so many flavors. I will have to look it up on Chewy.com. Only one place locally carries it, and they are limited. So far, so good (knock on wood) with the poop. I'm feeding Sam 100% kibble and Linus one meal a day of kibble and one meal a day of raw. Both transitioned just fine. We'll see how things continue!

      Why do you feed a probiotic? Canine Caviar contains one.
      Chewy is where I usually buy the Canine Caviar Open Sky (Duck formula). Normally free shipping, and no sales tax where I live.

      Good question on the probiotic. Lola had two major bouts of Giardia when she was about 1 YO, and our regular vet suggested that Lola stay on Forti-Flora. For a long time, we gave it to her once a day with her dinner meal. The vet who did the allergy testing suggested that we continue with the Forti-Flora 3 times a week, even with the Canine Caviar. From what I've read, there's no negatives, except the cost.

    6. #16
      Senior Dog
      Labradorks's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2014
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      3,390
      Thanked: 1914
      Quote Originally Posted by SCDoug View Post
      Chewy is where I usually buy the Canine Caviar Open Sky (Duck formula). Normally free shipping, and no sales tax where I live.

      Good question on the probiotic. Lola had two major bouts of Giardia when she was about 1 YO, and our regular vet suggested that Lola stay on Forti-Flora. For a long time, we gave it to her once a day with her dinner meal. The vet who did the allergy testing suggested that we continue with the Forti-Flora 3 times a week, even with the Canine Caviar. From what I've read, there's no negatives, except the cost.
      Interesting. Linus had giardia as well for quite a while around that age and I kept him on a probiotic for a long time, paranoid about that awful diarrhea coming back! I used the Pearls for humans, actually a generic version from Whole Foods. $30 for 90 I think. It seemed to work great. He is two now and I use them only with antibiotics or a tummy issue.

    7. #17
      Puppy
      stella3's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2015
      Location
      Northeast
      Posts
      48
      Thanked: 7
      I'm another fan on Canine Caviar and Chewy has the best price around. My dog has only tried the Lamb and Millet and the Open Sky and he loves them both (He can be very picky) and has perfect stools on it as well. I love how its formulated so you can easily rotate through flavors. It seems to be the only thing that agrees with his belly other than vet crap and we tried raw, home cooked, and every other kibble you can think of. Good luck with your baby!

    8. #18
      Puppy
      Yogi's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Santa Fe
      Posts
      22
      Thanked: 3
      Quote Originally Posted by Labradorks View Post

      Questions:

      - Has anyone tried the fish based Canine Caviar variety?
      - Can anyone think of anything else I should try for Sam before giving up on raw?
      - If I did go back to kibble, would it hurt to feed Linus kibble maybe once a day or occasionally, as long as it was not mixed with the raw? I ask because I've got some traveling coming up, including a long trip overseas, and to have him be versatile with his diet would be a real plus.
      1. No, but my dog did well on the Lamb formula.
      2. Did you try premade raw? I fed prey-model for probably a year, then switched to premade. He did well on prey-model but he does better on pre-made. It's pricey but worth it to me.
      3. I'd switch cold-turkey to kibble, if it were me.

    Quick Reply Quick Reply

     



    Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
    Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •