• Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Tired
      House Broken

Reasonable weight loss rate

Two things that I can point to have added a bit too many pounds to sweet Stella this winter. I think I was getting too generous with the amount of peanut butter I was using to seal her kongs, and we bought a bag of the Pro Plan 30-20 when they were out of our normal 26-16. The vet commented earlier this week that she would like to see her drop about 5lbs. I don't disagree, she's gorgeous but her waist is gone and she's a bit too rolypoly around the middle.

Both those things are easily fixed - dial back the peanut butter and the new bag of food arrives tomorrow. My question is what is a reasonable rate of weight loss for a 1-1/2 yr old lab? I know for humans it's 1-2lbs/wk but wondering what we should expect to help her slim down in a healthful way.

Senior Dog
      I can't really say, because I usually just adjust food by 1/4 cup up or down until they are back to a weight I prefer. You can still feed the 30/20, just feed less of it.

You can add some low salt green beans to help her feel full, I know people do that, but they ARE Labs they never feel full LOL :-) It may take you a few weeks or a month or so to drop that 5 lbs, make sure you up her exercise a little too.
      Good luck!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Shelley For This Useful Post:

NoVA Lab Mama (03-09-2017)

Senior Dog
      Quote Originally Posted by Shelley View Post
      I can't really say, because I usually just adjust food by 1/4 cup up or down until they are back to a weight I prefer. You can still feed the 30/20, just feed less of it.

You can add some low salt green beans to help her feel full, I know people do that, but they ARE Labs they never feel full LOL :-) It may take you a few weeks or a month or so to drop that 5 lbs, make sure you up her exercise a little too.
      Good luck!
      All of this. I would estimate it would take mine about a month to drop 5 pounds. I don’t usually weigh them but Chloe’s “puffy” stage when I decide to cut her back a little is usually about 2 pounds overweight and it takes her about a week or two to get back to normal. I don’t cut back by much though - just watch the treats, and measure a scant 3/4 cup instead of a regular one. She only gets 3/4 at a meal to begin with, so dropping a full quarter seems too mean, LOL. I’d guess I cut back by an 8th.
      Annette

Cookie (Jamrah’s Legally Blonde, BN) 6/4/2015
      Sassy (Jamrah’s Blonde Ambition, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC Windsong’s Femme Fatale, UDX2, OM4) 6/7/2009

Remembering:
      Scully (Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, RN) 4/4/1996 - 6/30/2011
      Our foster Jolie (UCh Windsong’s Genuine Risk, CDX, WC) 5/26/1999 - 3/2/2014
      and Mulder (Coventry’s I Want to Believe, UD, VER, WC, RN) 5/26/1999 - 4/20/2015

Hidden Content

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Annette47 For This Useful Post:

NoVA Lab Mama (03-09-2017)

Senior Dog
      Quote Originally Posted by Annette47 View Post
      All of this. I would estimate it would take mine about a month to drop 5 pounds. I don’t usually weigh them but Chloe’s “puffy” stage when I decide to cut her back a little is usually about 2 pounds overweight and it takes her about a week or two to get back to normal. I don’t cut back by much though - just watch the treats, and measure a scant 3/4 cup instead of a regular one. She only gets 3/4 at a meal to begin with, so dropping a full quarter seems too mean, LOL. I’d guess I cut back by an 8th.
      Just to be clear, I cut back by 1/4 cup a day, not from each meal, that would be cruel and unusual punishment! LOL Mine get about a cup twice a day.

Senior Dog
      Quote Originally Posted by Shelley View Post
      Just to be clear, I cut back by 1/4 cup a day, not from each meal, that would be cruel and unusual punishment! LOL Mine get about a cup twice a day.
      That makes sense! I read about people here whose dogs get 2 or more cups a meal - they could stand to lose 1/4 cup from a meal, but our lighter eaters would be starving, LOL.

House Broken
      It is not just about weight loss. It is about percentage of body fat. Dogs convert starch into sugar and it is stored as fat. This is obviously unhealthy. The best way to drop body fat is not to reduce the food but to change the food. Eliminate the starch from the diet and the dog will drop the fat and replace it with muscle. Much healthier for the dog. Dogs are carnivores and they need meat (protein) for energy and muscle development.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
    Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos