• Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Tired
  • Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
      Senior Dog
      An interesting and informative statement from Annamaet (Chloe is on their grain-free Lean formula).

Annamaet Petfoods
      Annette

Cookie (Jamrah’s Legally Blonde, BN) 6/4/2015
      Sassy (Jamrah’s Blonde Ambition, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (OTCH HIT HC Windsong’s Femme Fatale, UDX4, OM6) 6/7/2009

Remembering:
      Scully (Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, RN) 4/4/1996 - 6/30/2011
      Our foster Jolie (UCh Windsong’s Genuine Risk, CDX, WC) 5/26/1999 - 3/2/2014
      and Mulder (Coventry’s I Want to Believe, UD, VER, WC, RN) 5/26/1999 - 4/20/2015

Hidden Content

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Annette47 For This Useful Post:

barry581 (11-02-2018), Beth C (11-02-2018), MontananDakota (11-03-2018)

Senior Dog
      Quote Originally Posted by Annette47 View Post
      An interesting and informative statement from Annamaet (Chloe is on their grain-free Lean formula).

Annamaet Petfoods
      This came up in the FB group. They are just adding taurine to the food to make up for deficiencies, which a lot of foods are doing, and how do they know it works if they don't know exactly why it's happening? There are arguments about whether or not Annamaet has a nutritionist on board, too. It's not clear.

Senior Dog
      Quote Originally Posted by Labradorks View Post
      This came up in the FB group. They are just adding taurine to the food to make up for deficiencies, which a lot of foods are doing, and how do they know it works if they don't know exactly why it's happening? There are arguments about whether or not Annamaet has a nutritionist on board, too. It's not clear.
      I think the thought is the legumes and potatoes are somehow blocking taurine absorption. If that is the case adding taurine to the diet won't help.

Nancy
      Last edited by Nancy0; 11-03-2018 at 04:09 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Nancy0 For This Useful Post:

MontananDakota (11-03-2018)

Senior Dog
      Quote Originally Posted by Nancy0 View Post
      I think the thought is that somehow the legumes and potatoes are somehow blocking taurine absorption. If that is the case adding taurine to the diet won't help.

Nancy
      Exactly.

Senior Dog
      Well, they do acknowledge that they are basically hedging their bets because they don’t really know. Probably better than nothing, and more than some.

Clearly it is a complicated situation as many dogs do perfectly well on grain-free and live long, healthy lives (Mulder being an example).

Senior Dog
      Quote Originally Posted by Nancy0 View Post
      I think the thought is that somehow the legumes and potatoes are somehow blocking taurine absorption. If that is the case adding taurine to the diet won't help.

Nancy
      No it won’t if it’s a question of it being blocked entirely, but if it’s a question of the absorption being less efficient it might if it is a proportional effect. (E.g. if the legumes and potatoes cause for example 40% of available taurine to be absorbed instead of 100, then 40% of a bigger number is better).

Senior Dog
      Quote Originally Posted by Annette47 View Post
      Well, they do acknowledge that they are basically hedging their bets because they don’t really know. Probably better than nothing, and more than some.

Clearly it is a complicated situation as many dogs do perfectly well on grain-free and live long, healthy lives (Mulder being an example).
      My last dog was fine on it, also. But, not taking any chances on the others. Looking forward to them figuring out what's going on, that's for sure! Farmina is expensive (and it reeks!).

House Broken
      The signature in Annamaet's article makes it appear that they do have a nutritionist?
      Dr. Joseph Wakshlag DVM, PhD, DACVN, DACVSMR
      Staff Nutritionist
      Annamaet Petfoods, Inc.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beth C For This Useful Post:

Annette47 (11-03-2018), barry581 (11-02-2018)

House Broken
      I hope it gets cleared up soon. I put Lido on a grain inclusive kibble because of this scare, and now he has eye boogers and itchy ears - ugh.
      I think Annamaet's article made good points. I like the ones concerning the ash content and also the one about the protein source(s) - meat vs. plant. The quality of the protein makes a big difference, IMO. I've had dogs on good quality grain free for years, and none of them had/have heart issues.

I've had Sophie on a mainly Fromm rotation for 6 years, and she's about as healthy as a dog can be, so I have no real plans to make wholesale changes. Although after reading the article Annette posted I plan on making sure the protein level is at least 30% and peas and legumes are further down the ingredient list.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
    Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos