• Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Tired
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
      Senior Dog
      Happy

Vitamin C for Dogs

Just curious to hear if anyone here gives their Labs a Daily Vitamin C supplement?

I often hear that this Vitamin is recommended by some Breeders to help with synthesis of collagen, a protein that is essential to the growth and development of skin, teeth, tendons, bones, cartilage and connective tissue.

Would love to hear thoughts on this.

Senior Dog
      I do, 500 mg per day. When Lark was limping at about 7 months of age, I think her general vet recommended it along with glucosamine/chondroitin and fish oil. The ortho vet wanted her to get Dasuquin or Cosequin with MSM but said the Vitamin C and Fish Oil were optional. I've gotten my labs from 3 different breeders. Two said after about 6 months of age we could give Vitamin C but it seemed more of a "you could" than a "you should" although I think they do give it. Lark's breeder never really opined on supplements but she was the one with the limp around the time you'd start them anyway.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to smartrock For This Useful Post:

lovemylabby (02-01-2019)

Real Retriever
      Happy

I gave Diggity vitamin C back when he was about 4 months old and had both kennel cough and giarida at the same time. I felt like his immune system was compromised and although he was on meds, I wanted to boost his immune system. So I gave him vitamin c, coconut oil, and raw honey for a few weeks. It seemed to help. He's not on it now though. I got sodium ascorbate crystals which are a very pure form of vitamin C. He only got a tiny amount each day because it is so potent. I actually take the same product when I am feeling rundown or have been exposed to someone who has some nasty cold or flu and I am trying to avoid getting it!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bmathers For This Useful Post:

lovemylabby (02-01-2019)

Senior Dog
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by smartrock View Post
      I do, 500 mg per day. When Lark was limping at about 7 months of age, I think her general vet recommended it along with glucosamine/chondroitin and fish oil. The ortho vet wanted her to get Dasuquin or Cosequin with MSM but said the Vitamin C and Fish Oil were optional. I've gotten my labs from 3 different breeders. Two said after about 6 months of age we could give Vitamin C but it seemed more of a "you could" than a "you should" although I think they do give it. Lark's breeder never really opined on supplements but she was the one with the limp around the time you'd start them anyway.
      Our last breeder recommended Vitamin C, and to start at about 4 months old. May I ask, what was the cause of Lark's limping at such a young age?

Senior Dog
      Initially the orthopedic vet thought Lark had a form of elbow dysplasia. She recommended surgery but it got delayed when Lark developed an obstruction from eating mulch and sticks and had surgery for that. Between my work and her obstruction, a couple of months passed. By that time her limping had resolved completely, no limping for more than about 3 months. When the surgeon re-examined her elbows, she said everything looked normal, no pain, no inflammation, no visible abnormalities. That was 5 years ago. I kept her on all the supplements because it made me feel better.

Her elbows were re-xrayed this summer because she was limping again. The vet said both elbows look completely normal. She had some tendinitis in her shoulder this summer, we don’t know the exact cause of her limping as a puppy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Sue

Chase 9/29/2006- 6/30/2017 Always in our hearts
      Lark 12/25/2012
      Henry 7/14/18

8. The Following User Says Thank You to smartrock For This Useful Post:

lovemylabby (02-01-2019)

Best Friend Retriever
      My friend who has been breeding labs since the late sixties recommends vitamin C and E for her puppies. Her lines have always been very healthy. When Trip tore a cruciate, a long time field trialer recommended EsterC or buffered C. It worked extremely well.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Anna Scott For This Useful Post:

lovemylabby (02-01-2019)

Senior Dog
      Both my guys are on Ester C (Wholistic Ester C powder). They get 1200 mg a day. I give in combination of other supplements (Fish oil and glycoflex III). Sam has zero limp after a TTA and I think it's the combination of supplements.
      Last edited by SamsonsMom; 02-02-2019 at 06:09 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to SamsonsMom For This Useful Post:

lovemylabby (02-01-2019)

Senior Dog
      Breeder has me giving vitamins C & E (E for the boys, not the girls).

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Labradorks For This Useful Post:

lovemylabby (02-01-2019)

Senior Dog
      Happy

Thanks for all the replies!

Smartrock: I'm sorry to hear about Lark's obstruction...these Labs will eat anything and everything! it's good to know that the supplements helped her!

Senior Dog
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by Labradorks View Post
      Breeder has me giving vitamins C & E (E for the boys, not the girls).
      I'm so curious! Why would you give Vitamin C to males, but not females?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
    Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos