• Secret
  • Shy
  • Tired
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feeding time

Puppy
      Annoyed

Feeding time

Hello, I recently adopted a two month old Labrador retriever puppy and the lady that I got it from said to feed her twice a day, at breakfast and at dinner. I usually put around 20-25g of Happy dog junior dry food and I was wondering if that's right. Every time I feed her she eats the bowl clean in under a minute and I was wondering if I should feed her at lunch time too?

Thank you,
      Strength and Honor
      -P.Miller

Senior Dog
      I normally feed a puppy that age 3 times daily, 1 cup per meal. (Sorry I don't know the equivalent in grams!) Just an FYI, It is not uncommon for a Lab, puppy or adult, to inhale their food and look for more. They are gluttons in fur coats, lol!

Good luck with your new baby, I would love to see a picture. Hopefully you stick around, this is an awesome place with incredible people that share a wealth of knowledge.
      Hidden Content

Tammy
      Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

Senior Dog
      Many of us are in the US and, unfortunately, are not fluent in gram calculations. The food I fed my puppies say it is 112 grams per 8 ounce (by volume) measuring cup. I fed my 8 week old puppies 75-90 grams per meal, 3 meals per day, moving up to 112 grams or a bit more by 3 months of age. Are there feeding instructions on the container of dog food? I am not familiar with that food so I'm not sure what the directions are.

I tried to look up Happy Dog food and I am not certain if this is what you are feeding. This looks like the food you would feed a puppy from 4 weeks to 5 months of age for which the adult weight is predicted to be 26 kg or more:

Maxi Baby

If this is correct, or similar to what you're feeding, this package indicates that a 7.5 kg puppy would get 240 grams of food per day, or about 80 grams at each of 3 meals.

There are members who live in Europe, maybe they will be helpful also.
      Hidden Content

Sue

Chase 9/29/2006- 6/30/2017 Always in our hearts
      Lark 12/25/2012

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smartrock For This Useful Post:

Annette47 (07-26-2015), Nancy0 (07-27-2015)

Puppy
      Annoyed

Thank you both a lot for support. I think it would be best to feed my little puppy 3 times a day and about 20-25g per meal. I was hoping if you know whether it would be best to feed with a schedule in mind e.g that I feed her everyday at designated times?

Senior Dog
      I try to keep to a schedule, not a strict schedule, but I try to space the feedings out. For my puppies, I fed between 7-8 am, lunch about 12-1 pm, and dinner at 5-6 pm. Then, because their stomachs are so small and the time between dinner and the next day's breakfast so far apart, I usually gave a small snack at bedtime also, maybe a small handful of kibble or a small dog treat.

Are you sure 20-25 grams is the correct amount? Is this a purebred lab puppy we're talking about? How much does your puppy weigh now?

Puppy
      Annoyed

Well I go by the info provided on the dog food packet and I don't know if this is a pure lab for I found her in a dog shelter, but from the looks of her and matching her personality to other dogs she does seem to be a Labrador, I was just thinking that whomever brought her to the shelter didn't know what they had. I have not weighed her yet but I'll try to get back to you on that as soon as I can.

Senior Dog
      Cool

Tried to google Happy Dog Junior dry food and the only thing I learned was that Junior is for dogs who already have permanent teeth while the kibbles meant for little puppies are labelled BABY (smartrock posted a link to Happy Dog Maxi Baby) Even searching using two languages I couldn't find any feeding guidelines, but 20-25 grams a meal seems to be awfully little: 0.70-0.88 ounces.
      However, I've found something you could find quite useful - approximate conversions, so I decided to copy-paste them here:
      It depends on the size and density of the dog food you are using, one cup can hold from under 3 ounces (85 grams) to over 4 ounces (113 grams) of food. If you are using a quality dog food this information will be listed on the label.
      Then when you search this forum, there's a lot of information about feeding puppies:

How much to Feed
      How much to feed puppy? (w/ his photo)
      Hope you find something that'll help; good luck
      Hidden Content
      Lynn 5/17/1999 - 7/23/2013
      You shall never be forgotten, my friend

Mel *6/14/2013
      Hidden Content Hidden Content

Senior Dog
      My two, as adults, get fed three times a day or else they'll be vomiting bile from having empty tummies. I stick to a schedule (which also helps with bathroom times, especially for puppies). Mine get fed at approx. 4:30 a.m. (yes, I get up early), approx. 10:00 a.m., and 6:00 p.m.. They also get a small biscuit right before being put to bed.

Welcome to the board.
      Hidden Content

Sunnie: gotcha day 03/08/09; birth unknown but given 07/01/02

Danny: The Sundance Kid....Sunnie's boy....birth 03/31/09 (in my living room)

Barb (ID formerly "Baffle")

Senior Dog
      1 US cup = 225 grams
      If you are only feeding 25-30 grams twice a day then your puppy must be starving.
      Please check with your vet or the breeder ASAP for proper feeding guidlines.
      Hidden Content

Rambino - Adopted @ 6 y/o - 7/18/2011
      CGN - 6/10/2013

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sue-Ram For This Useful Post:

Tanya (07-26-2015)

Puppy
      Annoyed

Well I hope you understand me when I say that there is no real breeder cause I got her from the shelter and I'm not sure if a vet can help cause I don't speak Lithuanian, I live in Lithuania but I'm Estonian. I'm wondering if she seems healthy enough right now. And I'll up the dosage of the food that I'm giving for her sake.
      -img_0153-jpg

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
    Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos