• Innocent
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Tired
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
      Senior Dog

Is your lab a barker?

A friend and I were talking about how our dogs were upset at the time change for dinner last night. I said Kimber just stared and stared, with some nose poking and a few moans. She said that would've been pleasant; she has terriers, and they barked and barked at her.

This made me appreciate how overall silent Kimber is. When she was a wee pup, she'd bark her head off whenever we put her in the crate. But once she outgrew that (thank goodness!), she reserved barking for 1) play barking at other dogs when she got very excited and 2) barking at strangers/animals in our yard.

Nowadays, she really only barks as an alert: a car pulling into our driveway, a herd of deer in our backyard. She can go days without a single bark.

How vocal is your lab?
      Stormageddon, Princess of Darkness, aka "Stormy"
      Birthday 9-13-18, Gotcha Day 11-11-18
      Hidden Content

Miss Kimber, CGC, 6/15/2005-1/27/2018 forever in our hearts

Senior Dog
      Rocky doesn't bark. at all. he was quiet when I got him and it took many years to hear him bark or get him to bark on cue. We even did flyball for years, if that didn't get him barking nothing would He will give a bark at very few things (first time was a deer I think? and remote control cars but not general animals and no alert bark). He does not bark on cue, I succeed with some less than stellar training techniques haha (I would annoy him by teasing him with a high value treat and found that got him to bark once - so I would tease him til he barked and then lavish rewards on him - he now more or less barks on cue).

Penny (terrier/herder mix) had the most annoying bark (high pitch). Luckily she also seldomly barked. When she was really revved up (like waiting in line for dock diving once she saw the dock) or trying to get a dog to play (if they didn't play - during interactive play she didn't bark much). I had a foster that barked at the door non stop (EEK) and Pen did start barking some with her after a month but that stopped shortly after the foster was adopted thankfully. even when she froze/started at other dogs on leash she was quiet mostly.

Having grown up with a dog that barked non stop (at everything and anything, happy, sad, bored...) I appreciate quite dogs and have little patience for barkers. A dog known to be barky would be a reason for me to not adopt them unless they were otherwise perfect (and even there!)

ETA: I love the nose bump/poke! rock does this (and a solid nose bump) and it makes me laugh every time

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tanya For This Useful Post:

kimbersmom (11-07-2016)

Senior Dog
      Two of the three that I have owned, I could count on one hand (each) the number of times I have heard them bark. Compared to the other two, Linus barks a lot. However, I can go about a week without hearing him bark at all. He always barks for a good reason though, not just randomly or out of the blue. I actually appreciate his level of vocalization as a single woman living alone. My foster Labs, on the other hand, and I've had about 25, could be very, very, very barky. Labs left outside alone or kenneled for long periods seems to result in excess barking.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Labradorks For This Useful Post:

kimbersmom (11-07-2016)

Senior Dog
      Bacon barks only occasionally. He barks at people walking by the house when only I am home (silent if Jake is Home), He barks when the doorbell rings, and he barks if people approach me (mostly men) if Jake isn't with me.

Overall, if Jake isn't there to look after me, apparently Bacon has me covered!
      Julie & Jake, Bacon's Humans

Instagram: @mrbaconthelab

Born: 9/02/13

Gotcha: 11/08/13

Hidden Content

In memory of Lily 1/1995 - 2/2/2012

Hidden Content

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BaconsMom For This Useful Post:

kimbersmom (11-07-2016)

Senior Dog
      Bubba barked A LOT as a puppy, basically whenever he wasn't getting exactly what he wanted, so we ended up training him to "quiet". As a result now he almost never barks and when he does it's just one very gruff scary warning bark. I know he's seriously worried/freaked out if he barks.
      Hidden Content

Bubba's instagram: @thebubbinator

9. The Following User Says Thank You to zd262 For This Useful Post:

kimbersmom (11-07-2016)

Senior Dog
      My first Lab (yellow boy) came to us as a barker. He'd been tied out in a backyard and probably honed his skills there. Our Akita girl taught him to be more discriminating. Shortly after we adopted him, his only barking was at squirrels...much to our Akita's dismay. She rarely caught anything after we got Bru.

My yellow girl was a barker....when she needed to fuss us out for something.

Sunnie gets her bark going when she wants us to hurry up before going out for walkies. Other than that, she'll add to Danny's barking at something out the window. (it's the yellow Lab in her, I'm sure)
      Hidden Content

Sunnie: gotcha day 03/08/09; birth unknown but given 07/01/02

Danny: The Sundance Kid....Sunnie's boy....birth 03/31/09 (in my living room)

Barb (ID formerly "Baffle")

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SunDance For This Useful Post:

kimbersmom (11-07-2016)

House Broken
      I want to say that Sierra is not a barker. She can go for weeks without a single bark. When we go for walks or to the stores, the only time she barks is if another dog barks at her first. If the doorbell rings, she will give a semi quiet half bark and a low growl.

Then I take her to doggy day care where they have cameras and I can see her just standing there wagging her tail and barking. A lot. I check on the camera here and there throughout the day and if she isn't lying down to rest or being petted, she is barking. Very different personality!

And then this weekend when we went to a pet store, she barked at 3 dogs: a great dane, a labradoodle, and a golden retriever. And no, they didn't bark at her first. I've never seen her do that before.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to kaialeena For This Useful Post:

kimbersmom (11-07-2016)

Puppy
      Libby is still a puppy and she usually only barks when she's playing or when she doesn't get her way and gets frustrated with me.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to babs75 For This Useful Post:

kimbersmom (11-07-2016)

Senior Dog
      Cool

Thankfully, Cookie is not a barker. When he wants something he stares at you, sits/gets up constantly, wags his tail and pants. On the other hand, his friend Badu, also a yellow Lab, barks every time someone is at the door, or when he wants something (ie for me to throw the ball). My friends were away once and I was taking care of him, I almost got heart attacks whenever someone knocked at the door.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Berna For This Useful Post:

kimbersmom (11-07-2016)

Senior Dog
      Oh the only other time Bubba barks is if his ball rolls under the couch and he's tried every other method of convincing us to move the couch and get it out for him (shuffling, panting, pawing, jumping, etc). It's more of a devastating whiney "I lost my most prized possession pleaseeee help me" bark than his other more suspicious bark.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to zd262 For This Useful Post:

kimbersmom (11-07-2016)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
    Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos