• Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Drunk
  • Geeky
  • Grumpy
  • Happy
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Tired
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Results 31 to 40 of 41
    1. #31
      Senior Dog
      barry581's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Dover
      Posts
      4,582
      Thanked: 4041
      Quote Originally Posted by Mudlark View Post
      Would anyone have any info about a way to watch the breed judging that will work in the Uk? I'm intrigued by the whole weight argument and would like to look for myself - especially as I have very English, 'English' labs LOL!
      Check YOUTUBE. Just search Championship Shows - Labradors.

      Linda Major - Judging Labrador Dogs - YouTube

      I like her dogs, and she does a good job of explaining how she judges.

      My introduction to Labs was in the UK back in 1984. I showed several dogs there, and was good friends with their breeders. I went to many shows with my friend who was judging at open and championship shows, and I was his driver to a lot of shows, so I was able to watch up close and personal from ringside. I can say that there is a distinct difference in looking at a dog from ringside, and putting your hands on them as the judge in the ring. I would mark my catalog with question about this dog or that dog, and we'd talk about it while driving home. It was very interesting and enlightening talking about what I saw vs. what he saw and felt.

      There is one thing I've noticed is that in pictures and on video the dogs look bigger that they do when looking at them in person. Sophie's litter brother is a Show Champion in the UK. I've taken pictures of him, and when looking at them as I'm shoot, there are times I think "this dog is huge" but when I look back at him, I think he looks just about right.

      The other issue is evident in the picture JenC posted of Jagger. Standing in the tall grass makes him look shorter in leg than he actually is. I think this also gives an illusion of the dog being bigger than they really are.
      Last edited by barry581; 02-14-2017 at 08:00 PM.

    2. #32
      Senior Dog
      Tanya's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Eastern Ontario Canada
      Posts
      2,197
      Thanked: 1086
      Quote Originally Posted by barry581 View Post
      Check YOUTUBE. Just search Championship Shows - Labradors.

      Linda Major - Judging Labrador Dogs - YouTube

      I like her dogs, and she does a good job of explaining how she judges.

      My introduction to Labs was in the UK back in 1984. I showed several dogs there, and was good friends with their breeders. I went to many shows with my friend who was judging at open and championship shows, and I was his driver to a lot of shows, so I was able to watch up close and personal from ringside. I can say that there is a distinct difference in looking at a dog from ringside, and putting your hands on them as the judge in the ring. I would mark my catalog with question about this dog or that dog, and we'd talk about it while driving home. It was very interesting and enlightening talking about what I saw vs. what he saw and felt.

      There is one thing I've noticed is that in pictures and on video the dogs look bigger that they do when looking at them in person. Sophie's litter brother is a Show Champion in the UK. I've taken pictures of him, and when looking at them as I'm shoot, there are times I think "this dog is huge" but when I look back at him, I think he looks just about right.

      The other issue is evident in the picture JenC posted of Jagger. Standing in the tall grass makes him look shorter in leg than he actually is. I think this also gives an illusion of the dog being bigger than they really are.
      oh! I do love the dog in the video! curious on the dog's age!

      OH MY! labby heaven!
      Labrador Breeder in South Wales - YouTube
      Rocky and Penny (Feb 10 2013 - July 23 2016)
      Hidden Content

    3. #33
      House Broken
      Mudlark's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2015
      Location
      England
      Posts
      73
      Thanked: 16
      Quote Originally Posted by barry581 View Post
      Check YOUTUBE. Just search Championship Shows - Labradors.

      Linda Major - Judging Labrador Dogs - YouTube

      I like her dogs, and she does a good job of explaining how she judges.

      My introduction to Labs was in the UK back in 1984. I showed several dogs there, and was good friends with their breeders. I went to many shows with my friend who was judging at open and championship shows, and I was his driver to a lot of shows, so I was able to watch up close and personal from ringside. I can say that there is a distinct difference in looking at a dog from ringside, and putting your hands on them as the judge in the ring. I would mark my catalog with question about this dog or that dog, and we'd talk about it while driving home. It was very interesting and enlightening talking about what I saw vs. what he saw and felt.

      There is one thing I've noticed is that in pictures and on video the dogs look bigger that they do when looking at them in person. Sophie's litter brother is a Show Champion in the UK. I've taken pictures of him, and when looking at them as I'm shoot, there are times I think "this dog is huge" but when I look back at him, I think he looks just about right.

      The other issue is evident in the picture JenC posted of Jagger. Standing in the tall grass makes him look shorter in leg than he actually is. I think this also gives an illusion of the dog being bigger than they really are.
      Thanks Barry but actually I meant to say a link so I could watch the Westminster show judging of labs, I've sort of got the hang of it over here!! ;-)

    4. #34
      Senior Dog
      smartrock's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Carolina in my mind..
      Posts
      3,177
      Thanked: 1876
      The videos from the show should be available at the WKC website

      Home Page - Westminster Kennel Club

      Labs specifically: Retrievers (Labrador) Breed Judging 2017 Video | Westminster Kennel Club

    5. #35
      Real Retriever
      silverfz's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2016
      Location
      MASS
      Posts
      295
      Thanked: 70
      It was on local TV. They actually did a marathon of last few years. It was fun to watch.

      Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

    6. #36
      Senior Dog
      barry581's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Dover
      Posts
      4,582
      Thanked: 4041
      Quote Originally Posted by Mudlark View Post
      Thanks Barry but actually I meant to say a link so I could watch the Westminster show judging of labs, I've sort of got the hang of it over here!! ;-)
      Oh!!!!!

      Here you go.

      Retrievers (Labrador) Breed Judging 2017 Video | Westminster Kennel Club

    7. #37
      House Broken
      Mudlark's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2015
      Location
      England
      Posts
      73
      Thanked: 16
      Thanks everyone, I did get to watch it - I won't comment on differences in conformation etc because it's so hard to 'judge' without being there and getting your hands on the dogs, and anyway I don't want to start a forum war!

      I was mesmerized by the outfits of the owners (handlers?) - they all looked like they were going to a cocktail party not a dog show, even complete with sparkles! But seriously - can I ask where all the chocolates were?? It was a sea of black and very pale yellow dogs. Is it just a fashion thing ( I know how even within a breed fashions come and go in the ring) or is it that there are not so many good chocolate producing lines over there? I have seen pics on here of good chocolate dogs so I know you have some !!

    8. #38
      Senior Dog
      smartrock's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Carolina in my mind..
      Posts
      3,177
      Thanked: 1876
      Quote Originally Posted by Mudlark View Post
      I was mesmerized by the outfits of the owners (handlers?) - they all looked like they were going to a cocktail party not a dog show, even complete with sparkles!
      I was also looking at the outfits. It looks like many of the women wear 2 piece suits but the more decorative ones also had a certain look to them, slightly scooped neckline with a rounded collar, 3/4 length sleeves, and a straight skirt. I'm sure it's hard to find a suit that is different from everyone else's yet still comfortable when there are so many woman handlers.

    9. #39
      House Broken
      Mudlark's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2015
      Location
      England
      Posts
      73
      Thanked: 16
      Quote Originally Posted by smartrock View Post
      I was also looking at the outfits. It looks like many of the women wear 2 piece suits but the more decorative ones also had a certain look to them, slightly scooped neckline with a rounded collar, 3/4 length sleeves, and a straight skirt. I'm sure it's hard to find a suit that is different from everyone else's yet still comfortable when there are so many woman handlers.
      I'm very pleased that we haven't adopted that dress code over here yet - I haven't worn a skirt since I stopped wearing one for school uniform!! I must say I had noticed that presentation standards were high (dogs and people)when they come over for Crufts!
      Even the labs seemed to have their coats sort of fluffed up for show - and to think I thought I was going some by just brushing the mud off! I've never bathed a dog for a show in my life!

    10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mudlark For This Useful Post:

      barry581 (02-17-2017)

    11. #40
      House Broken
      Tired
       
      annkie's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Pennsylvania
      Posts
      182
      Thanked: 59
      Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
      oh! I do love the dog in the video! curious on the dog's age!

      OH MY! labby heaven!
      Labrador Breeder in South Wales - YouTube
      I love it! I just watched that video and my face has a giant smile on it. I know I'm gonna have a lab again. I just know it!

    Quick Reply Quick Reply

     



    Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
    Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •