• Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Drunk
  • Geeky
  • Grumpy
  • Happy
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Tired
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Results 1 to 10 of 20
    1. #1
      Real Retriever
      Cool
       
      annkie's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Pennsylvania
      Posts
      421
      Thanked: 183

      Breeder contracts...

      I feel uncomfortable asking my breeder this. What happens if the buyer doesn't keep with the breeder contract? I'm just curious. Not that I plan on not keeping to it. Our contract is very one sided. The buyer pays for all tests, AKC registration, other requirements. The breeder makes no guarantees of any kind. It feel like, basically, it's an attempt by the breeder to make the buyer perform certain tasks and that's it. So, in that case, what happens if the buyer doesn't do some of that stuff? If the breeder has nothing to promise what can they hold against the buyer?

    2. #2
      Senior Dog
      Tanya's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Eastern Ontario Canada
      Posts
      2,366
      Thanked: 1221
      What tests is the buyer expected to pay for? What "tasks" are you expected to perform?

    3. #3
      House Broken
      piccadilly's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Michigan
      Posts
      107
      Thanked: 108
      Your signature should mean something to you.... if you're not going to adhere to a contract, you shouldn't sign it. If you question something about it, you should talk to the breeder.

    4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to piccadilly For This Useful Post:

      Charlotte K. (03-15-2017), IRISHWISTLER (03-16-2017), windycanyon (03-16-2017)

    5. #4
      Real Retriever
      silverfz's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2016
      Location
      MASS
      Posts
      383
      Thanked: 112
      A dog is considered property. I can sign a contract saying that i will bring in my car to be ONLY serviced by dealer to be eligible for my 100,000 mile warranty given out by the dealer. But it is my choice to do what with my car as its my property. There is no law that gives a seller any rights over a property that has been legally sold to another person unless its again a used car and has some lemon law time period. I do not think any legal status is there on livestock sale.

    6. #5
      Senior Dog
      dxboon's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2014
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      766
      Thanked: 736
      Contracts from a reputable breeder are largely to protect the welfare of the dogs. While a breeder may sell a dog to you, really they are the one who has spent a lot of time, effort, etc. on their breeding program which produced this puppy. The contracts I signed for my dogs obligate me to return my dogs to their respective breeders if I no longer want them or cannot care for them. For dogs on full registration (two of three of mine), I have agreed to undertake at my expense a variety of health testing on the dogs.

      My breeders guarantee that the puppy is healthy (with vet report) at time of sale.

      If any party breaks the contract, I imagine the aggrieved party could take the other to court. I doubt it happens often.

      If you don't feel comfortable signing the contract, or talking to the breeder about your questions, that's not a good way to start off with this puppy.

    7. #6
      Senior Dog
      Shelley's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      United States
      Posts
      802
      Thanked: 1121
      Quote Originally Posted by annkie View Post
      I feel uncomfortable asking my breeder this. What happens if the buyer doesn't keep with the breeder contract? I'm just curious. Not that I plan on not keeping to it.....
      If you don't feel comfortable asking your breeder a simple question about the CONTRACT you are LEGALLY signing, then please, please please, step away from the breeder and the puppy, it isn't fair to anyone to proceed if your signature and promise means nothing to you. If you don't agree, then don't sign it. Period.

      What testing? Other than registering the puppy, what are they asking you to do that is so unreasonable that you won't adhere to the agreement?

      Quote Originally Posted by silverfz View Post
      A dog is considered property. I can sign a contract saying that i will bring in my car to be ONLY serviced by dealer to be eligible for my 100,000 mile warranty given out by the dealer. But it is my choice to do what with my car as its my property. There is no law that gives a seller any rights over a property that has been legally sold to another person unless its again a used car and has some lemon law time period. I do not think any legal status is there on livestock sale.
      This outlines perfectly why breeders, wait, why reputable breeders, are so selective about where their puppies go. While you are correct about dogs being personal property, contracts are agreements in place to protect the puppy, the buyer, and the breeder. I grill my puppy families, (and they grill me) but in the end it is a huge leap of faith to send them home with one of my babies. I would absolutely lose sleep at night if I knew you were one of my puppy families, and had no intention of following our agreement.

    8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shelley For This Useful Post:

      barry581 (03-15-2017), Charlotte K. (03-15-2017), windycanyon (03-16-2017)

    9. #7
      Real Retriever
      Cool
       
      annkie's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Pennsylvania
      Posts
      421
      Thanked: 183
      Obviously NONE OF YOU read what I wrote correctly. Especially the part where I said "Not that I plan on not keeping to it." So now I will get defensive. I read the contract prior to committing to a puppy. So, yes, I plan on keeping to it. It was simply out of curiosity that I asked this question. And just to help some of you sleep at night... my new puppy will be getting the best care with love and attention, medical care, and training that it deserves.

      What I found interesting with this breeder is that she can do a better job of selling herself. If I walked away from her at the beginning, like some of you suggested, I would have never found out that this is her 13th litter. That she raised seeing eye dogs. How she actually cares for her puppies. She really does not disclose much information in the beginning. It took a couple conversations, visits, and constant updates from her with pictures and video (after I already put down my deposit) to realize how well she cares for these pups.

      Furthermore, the reason I don't feel comfortable asking the breeder this is because, as all of you have illustrated, I don't want her jumping to conclusion that I don't plan on keeping to the contract. I am just simply curious regarding the legal factor.

    10. #8
      Senior Dog
      dxboon's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2014
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      766
      Thanked: 736
      Quote Originally Posted by annkie View Post
      Obviously NONE OF YOU read what I wrote correctly. Especially the part where I said "Not that I plan on not keeping to it." So now I will get defensive. I read the contract prior to committing to a puppy. So, yes, I plan on keeping to it. It was simply out of curiosity that I asked this question. And just to help some of you sleep at night... my new puppy will be getting the best care with love and attention, medical care, and training that it deserves.

      What I found interesting with this breeder is that she can do a better job of selling herself. If I walked away from her at the beginning, like some of you suggested, I would have never found out that this is her 13th litter. That she raised seeing eye dogs. How she actually cares for her puppies. She really does not disclose much information in the beginning. It took a couple conversations, visits, and constant updates from her with pictures and video (after I already put down my deposit) to realize how well she cares for these pups.
      I'm pretty sure I read everything you wrote, which included not feeling comfortable asking the breeder your question. What you describe about the breeder and how she could do a better job "selling" herself describes a large portion of reputable breeders. Many of the best breeders have no, or very basic websites. Good breeders are not selling themselves nor are they anxious about placing puppies. Maybe this is your first experience with a breeder, so it seems odd. It's generally the worst breeders who are easiest to get a puppy from and whose websites are geared like an etsy storefront for puppies. Longtime breeders who are respected in their breed have no need to overtly advertise.

      I will always advocate that someone walk away from a breeder if they feel uncomfortable with them. If people feel uncomfortable about the little things or issues early on, those convos about serious issues that may occur down the road may be harder or the pet person may just not consult their breeder, which closes down a possible knowledgeable source of info.

    11. The Following User Says Thank You to dxboon For This Useful Post:

      IRISHWISTLER (03-16-2017)

    12. #9
      Real Retriever
      Cool
       
      annkie's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Pennsylvania
      Posts
      421
      Thanked: 183
      Quote Originally Posted by dxboon View Post
      I'm pretty sure I read everything you wrote, which included not feeling comfortable asking the breeder your question. What you describe about the breeder and how she could do a better job "selling" herself describes a large portion of reputable breeders. Many of the best breeders have no, or very basic websites. Good breeders are not selling themselves nor are they anxious about placing puppies. Maybe this is your first experience with a breeder, so it seems odd. It's generally the worst breeders who are easiest to get a puppy from and whose websites are geared like an etsy storefront for puppies. Longtime breeders who are respected in their breed have no need to overtly advertise.
      Perhaps I should have phrased it differently. It would help me, as the buyer, to have more information. Especially when I'm talking to multiple breeders and I'm trying to compare. If they all love the breed and have been doing it for years how do I, as the buyer, differentiate which breeder is "better". I need information regarding past breeding experience, special bits of information (like her raising seeing eye dogs), examples of how she takes care of puppies (the stimulating puzzle toys she creates for them). I'd like to know all that to be assured that, yes indeed, I am communicating with a good breeder. I'm shelling out a lot of money on this not only upfront but throughout the lifetime of the dog not to mention a 15 yr commitment (I hope!) so I think buyers are entitled to a bit more information.

      Yes, this was my first experience dealing with a breeder. And if it wasn't for this forum then I'd be completely clueless on how to even start looking for one!

    13. #10
      Senior Dog
      Shelley's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      United States
      Posts
      802
      Thanked: 1121
      Quote Originally Posted by annkie View Post
      Obviously NONE OF YOU read what I wrote correctly. Especially the part where I said "Not that I plan on not keeping to it." So now I will get defensive. I read the contract prior to committing to a puppy. So, yes, I plan on keeping to it. It was simply out of curiosity that I asked this question. And just to help some of you sleep at night... my new puppy will be getting the best care with love and attention, medical care, and training that it deserves.

      What I found interesting with this breeder is that she can do a better job of selling herself. If I walked away from her at the beginning, like some of you suggested, I would have never found out that this is her 13th litter. That she raised seeing eye dogs. How she actually cares for her puppies. She really does not disclose much information in the beginning. It took a couple conversations, visits, and constant updates from her with pictures and video (after I already put down my deposit) to realize how well she cares for these pups.

      Furthermore, the reason I don't feel comfortable asking the breeder this is because, as all of you have illustrated, I don't want her jumping to conclusion that I don't plan on keeping to the contract. I am just simply curious regarding the legal factor.
      "I feel uncomfortable asking my breeder this. What happens if the buyer doesn't keep with the breeder contract? I'm just curious. Not that I plan on not keeping to it. Our contract is very one sided. The buyer pays for all tests, AKC registration, other requirements. The breeder makes no guarantees of any kind. It feel like, basically, it's an attempt by the breeder to make the buyer perform certain tasks and that's it. So, in that case, what happens if the buyer doesn't do some of that stuff? If the breeder has nothing to promise what can they hold against the buyer?"

      Okay, you are correct, I did misread your "Not that I plan on not keeping to it". I read it as "Not that I plan on keeping to it". It was a poorly worded sentence, but I digress. My apologies.

      The rest of your paragraph goes on to say, So, in that case, what happens if the buyer doesn't do some of that stuff? If the breeder has nothing to promise what can they hold against the buyer?" Which looks to me like you were considering breaking the contract, because you are asking what consequences there are if you do. So if you were worried about the breeder jumping to the same conclusion we did, so how can you be surprised that we did?

      My reply about sleeping at night was directed at anyone who didn't want to follow their contract/agreement, because yes, if someone didn't I would lose sleep at night. I lose sleep at night anyways over my precious babies.

    Quick Reply Quick Reply

     



    Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
    Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •