• Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Drunk
  • Geeky
  • Grumpy
  • Happy
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Tired
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Results 21 to 30 of 38
    1. #21
      Chief Pooper Scooper
      JenC's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Colorado
      Posts
      2,186
      Thanked: 2172
      Never had to do a newspaper listing. Either a referral from my lab club or kennel club or through my own website. I could sell hundreds of puppies a year if the inquiries were any indication. No need to go near a newspaper.
      Jen & Tickle!
      Hidden Content

    2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JenC For This Useful Post:

      dxboon (11-21-2017), windycanyon (11-22-2017)

    3. #22
      Senior Dog
      windycanyon's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2014
      Location
      C. WA
      Posts
      1,372
      Thanked: 1015
      Quote Originally Posted by JenC View Post
      Never had to do a newspaper listing. Either a referral from my lab club or kennel club or through my own website. I could sell hundreds of puppies a year if the inquiries were any indication. No need to go near a newspaper.

      Agree. Though I used to put an educational ad in every now and then (no prices) just to advertise OFA / CERF/ etc. So many people have no idea how to research pedigrees and verify that the clearances were actually done.
      It's also amazing how many bitch owners I've caught in lies about their clearances when they've inquired about breeding to one of my boys the past year or 2! It's a sad world.
      Hidden Content
      The WindyCanyon Girls, Fall 2016
      IntCh WindyCanyon's Ruby Pink BN CD RA CC (2.5 yrs)
      IntCH WindyCanyon's Envy CDX RE JH CC (8.5 yrs)
      IntCH WindyCanyon Patent Nfringement CDX RA JH CC (11 yrs)
      IntCH WindyCanyon's Northern Spy CDX RA JH OA OAJ CC (12.5 yrs)
      IntCH WindyCanyon's Kanzi BN CDX RE JH (3 yrs)
      IntCH HIT WindyCanyon's Kiku A Fuji Too CDX RE JH CC (8 yrs)
      IntCH WindyCanyon's SweeTango CD RA JH CC (7 yrs)






    4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to windycanyon For This Useful Post:

      barry581 (11-22-2017), dxboon (11-22-2017), IRISHWISTLER (11-22-2017)

    5. #23
      Senior Dog
      dxboon's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2014
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      787
      Thanked: 761
      Quote Originally Posted by windycanyon View Post
      Agree. Though I used to put an educational ad in every now and then (no prices) just to advertise OFA / CERF/ etc. So many people have no idea how to research pedigrees and verify that the clearances were actually done.
      It's also amazing how many bitch owners I've caught in lies about their clearances when they've inquired about breeding to one of my boys the past year or 2! It's a sad world.
      I have caught “breeders” in so many lies about clearances. I’ve had family friends looking for Labs and when I go to vet their local puppy purveyor I find the registration numbers don’t match the dog in OFA, when people say they just haven’t submitted to OFA, and I ask people to request scans of the clearance paperwork for whatever (eyes, hearts, hips/elbows) it turns out the clearances weren’t done or they just have a general vet sign off that the sire/dam are in “good health.”

      It’s amazing how people lie about their breeding programs. Then the diluters are a whole other level of deceivers.

    6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dxboon For This Useful Post:

      barry581 (11-22-2017), Tanya (11-23-2017), windycanyon (11-22-2017)

    7. #24
      House Broken
      jertom's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2015
      Location
      northern ohio
      Posts
      120
      Thanked: 45
      Quote Originally Posted by dxboon View Post
      I have caught “breeders” in so many lies about clearances. I’ve had family friends looking for Labs and when I go to vet their local puppy purveyor I find the registration numbers don’t match the dog in OFA, when people say they just haven’t submitted to OFA, and I ask people to request scans of the clearance paperwork for whatever (eyes, hearts, hips/elbows) it turns out the clearances weren’t done or they just have a general vet sign off that the sire/dam are in “good health.”

      It’s amazing how people lie about their breeding programs. Then the diluters are a whole other level of deceivers.
      What is a "general" vet? Would that be the opposite of reputable?

    8. #25
      Senior Dog
      Snowshoe's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Canada
      Posts
      5,725
      Thanked: 3242
      Quote Originally Posted by jertom View Post
      What is a "general" vet? Would that be the opposite of reputable?
      It's the same as for human medical doctors. It indicates whether one specializes or treats general disorders. For some reason we don't usually call general practitioner Vets GPs as we do with human doctors.

      Veterinary specialists vs. general practitioners: what is the difference? - PetMeds® Pet Health Blog



      There are disreputable Vets, unfortunately. There is a bad, sad case in the news near me. It's horrible.

    9. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

      dxboon (11-25-2017)

    10. #26
      Chief Pooper Scooper
      JenC's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Colorado
      Posts
      2,186
      Thanked: 2172
      Quote Originally Posted by jertom View Post
      What is a "general" vet? Would that be the opposite of reputable?
      A general vet is just your regular vet you see for every day ailments. Now some general vets are well versed in taking OFA xrays of hips and elbows, but not all. So in most cases, if you are breeding in the correct manner, you will seek out a vet that specializes in taking good OFA xrays, you see the Canine ophthalmologist for your annual eye exam, and you see the Board Certified cardiologist to do your echo on the heart for the OFA clearance. Straight genetic tests like PRA, EIC, Dilute, CNM, etc. those are just cheek swabs or blood draws. No vet required unless you want to do the blood draw.

      So that all said, a breeder that says "My vet checked our dogs and they are healthy for breeding" is really a worthless statement.

    11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JenC For This Useful Post:

      dxboon (11-25-2017), windycanyon (11-27-2017)

    12. #27
      Senior Dog
      dxboon's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2014
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      787
      Thanked: 761
      Quote Originally Posted by Snowshoe View Post
      It's the same as for human medical doctors. It indicates whether one specializes or treats general disorders. For some reason we don't usually call general practitioner Vets GPs as we do with human doctors.

      Veterinary specialists vs. general practitioners: what is the difference? - PetMeds® Pet Health Blog



      There are disreputable Vets, unfortunately. There is a bad, sad case in the news near me. It's horrible.
      Snowshoe has it right. The health clearances discussed are not something run by your general vet. It's not to say general vets are the opposite of reputable -- I love mine. As with any medical service provider, some are knowledgable and some graduated the bottom of their class. However, for the clearances commonly needed for Labradors you are looking for example for annual eye exams with a diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Opthamologists (ACVO), heart echocardiograms with a cardiologist/ACVIM diplomate; hip/elbow radiograph positioning during the x-rays is key so you need to go to a vet that has practitioners who understand orthopedic clearances and specialize in radiographs for the most accurate results to send in to OFA for grading in order to be rated excellent, good, fair, or one of the non-passing grades that indicate dysplasia.

      So, getting a report of well-being and apparent health from a general vet is not the same as having all health clearances for breeding. The Orthopedic Foundation for Animals (OFA) database online is a great resource for puppy purchasers. If clearances for either sire or dam are missing definitely ask the breeder about it.

    13. #28
      Senior Dog
      Shelley's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      United States
      Posts
      932
      Thanked: 1294
      Quote Originally Posted by dxboon View Post
      Snowshoe has it right. The health clearances discussed are not something run by your general vet. It's not to say general vets are the opposite of reputable -- I love mine. As with any medical service provider, some are knowledgable and some graduated the bottom of their class. However, for the clearances commonly needed for Labradors you are looking for example for annual eye exams with a diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Opthamologists (ACVO), heart echocardiograms with a cardiologist/ACVIM diplomate; hip/elbow radiograph positioning during the x-rays is key so you need to go to a vet that has practitioners who understand orthopedic clearances and specialize in radiographs for the most accurate results to send in to OFA for grading in order to be rated excellent, good, fair, or one of the non-passing grades that indicate dysplasia.

      So, getting a report of well-being and apparent health from a general vet is not the same as having all health clearances for breeding. The Orthopedic Foundation for Animals (OFA) database online is a great resource for puppy purchasers. If clearances for either sire or dam are missing definitely ask the breeder about it.
      Along with all of these vet specialists for breeding health clearances, if you breed, most general practice vets aren't well versed in reproduction, so we have reproductive vets too. They are knowledgeable about timing, collection, various insemination techniques, prenatal care, whelping help and c sections when needed, and sick puppy/well puppy visits as needed for the puppies before they go to their homes.

    14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shelley For This Useful Post:

      dxboon (11-25-2017), windycanyon (11-27-2017)

    15. #29
      House Broken
      jertom's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2015
      Location
      northern ohio
      Posts
      120
      Thanked: 45
      Just a few IMHO comments;
      Reputable breeder: that’s just common sense.
      It’s not a degree earned at the local university nor a badge worn on your sleeve. There’s reputable people in every walk of life, and some not so much.

      Veterinarian specialist: a money pit, when my last dog was 14 yr. old I was told to take him to a specialist, $1500. later and no definite answer as to the problem I was told to have surgery to see what the issue was, $3000+ estimate, I decided it was time to quit that nonsense.

      I often wonder if you spend your money the way you tell others to.
      The OP said straight out they’re looking for a house dog/pet, not one to enter in Westminster next year.
      Why is that so hard to accept?
      Why bury someone with your high-tech knowledge base if they don’t want or need it?

    16. #30
      Senior Dog
      Annette47's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Central NJ
      Posts
      2,107
      Thanked: 1878
      Quote Originally Posted by jertom View Post
      Just a few IMHO comments;
      Reputable breeder: that’s just common sense.
      It’s not a degree earned at the local university nor a badge worn on your sleeve. There’s reputable people in every walk of life, and some not so much.

      Veterinarian specialist: a money pit, when my last dog was 14 yr. old I was told to take him to a specialist, $1500. later and no definite answer as to the problem I was told to have surgery to see what the issue was, $3000+ estimate, I decided it was time to quit that nonsense.

      I often wonder if you spend your money the way you tell others to.
      The OP said straight out they’re looking for a house dog/pet, not one to enter in Westminster next year.
      Why is that so hard to accept?
      Why bury someone with your high-tech knowledge base if they don’t want or need it?
      Because we are assuming they want a healthy dog that looks and acts like a Labrador. Yes, you can get that occasionally without all of the health clearances, etc., but your odds are much lower, so why not spend a little bit more up front to maximize your chances of getting a dog that won’t cost you extra down the road due to health or behavior problems? I’m sorry the specialist was unable to help your dog - they have been a godsend to mine on occasion. Just like with human doctors, some are better than others, and as with human patients, some are more treatable than others. There are never any guarantees in life, but why not do the best you can to get the odds in your favor?
      Annette

      Cookie (Jamrah’s Legally Blonde, BN) 6/4/2015
      Sassy (Jamrah’s Blonde Ambition, BN) 6/4/2015

      Chloe (HIT HC Windsong’s Femme Fatale, UDX2, OM4) 6/7/2009


      Remembering:
      Scully (Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, RN) 4/4/1996 - 6/30/2011
      Our foster Jolie (UCh Windsong’s Genuine Risk, CDX, WC) 5/26/1999 - 3/2/2014
      and Mulder (Coventry’s I Want to Believe, UD, VER, WC, RN) 5/26/1999 - 4/20/2015

      Hidden Content

    17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Annette47 For This Useful Post:

      barry581 (11-26-2017), dxboon (11-26-2017), windycanyon (11-27-2017)

    Quick Reply Quick Reply

     



    Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
    Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •