• Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Drunk
  • Geeky
  • Grumpy
  • Happy
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Tired
  • Results 1 to 10 of 10

    Thread: Heart Clearance

    1. #1
      Senior Dog
      Tanya's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Eastern Ontario Canada
      Posts
      3,145
      Thanked: 1859

      Heart Clearance

      A few of my key lab breed people have said heart clearance should be done in labs.

      But I am finding tons of breeders who compete and do hips-elbows-eyes-eic-cmn but donít do heart. It gets awkward to email to find out (one in awhile it just wasnít listed on OFA or K9data). sometimes it is done on a stud. or a stud they happen to be using on a litter

      Is this a newer one many breeders are just slower to integrate? Itís really complicated my search (that and then prelims/using studs under 18mts)


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    2. #2
      Senior Dog
      Labradorks's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2014
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      3,826
      Thanked: 2311
      It's not a CHIC-required test, so some breeders don't do it. I don't know why they wouldn't though.

    3. #3
      Senior Dog
      Shelley's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      United States
      Posts
      1,169
      Thanked: 1683
      Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
      A few of my key lab breed people have said heart clearance should be done in labs.

      But I am finding tons of breeders who compete and do hips-elbows-eyes-eic-cmn but don’t do heart. It gets awkward to email to find out (one in awhile it just wasn’t listed on OFA or K9data). sometimes it is done on a stud. or a stud they happen to be using on a litter

      Is this a newer one many breeders are just slower to integrate? It’s really complicated my search (that and then prelims/using studs under 18mts)


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Any breeder worth their salt should be doing Cardiac echos on their dams and the sires they choose need to have a cardiac echo also. I will not use a male without an echo, in fact I offered to pay for a cardiac echo on a sire I wanted to breed to a few years ago, and they declined, so I didn't breed to him. it is our (breeder's) responsibility to do due diligence to ensure our puppies and dogs are as heathy as possible, both for pets and our breeding programs.

      The reason color doppler echos are not required for a CHIC number, is that the test is still somewhat subjective. The new cardiac forms require more measurements and information from the echo exam, so that they can (try to) standardize the amount of regurgitation of the tricuspid valve is acceptable, and what demonstrates TVD. We all have a little regurgitation in our heart's valves, and so do dogs. As far as I am concerned, until they have a genetic DNA test for TVD, color doppler echocardiograms are the best we can do, to ensure that we are at least not breeding affected dogs. The way TVD is inherited is very complex, and not very well understood yet although there is a lot of research happening. Anyways when the board certified veterinary cardiologists agree, and they have standardized the parameters (my favorite cardio who performs all my echos is working towards that, and helped develop the newer echo forms) CHIC will agree to add it to the requirements for the CHIC number.

    4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shelley For This Useful Post:

      barry581 (12-29-2018), Tanya (12-29-2018), windycanyon (12-29-2018)

    5. #4
      Chief Pooper Scooper
      JenC's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Colorado
      Posts
      2,485
      Thanked: 2491
      I think you are looking at more performance type dogs, right? The hunting lab folks are very slow to incorporate this test into their core of health clearances. You'll be hard-pressed to find alot of them doing the test at all.

    6. The Following User Says Thank You to JenC For This Useful Post:

      Tanya (12-29-2018)

    7. #5
      Moderator
      barry581's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Dover
      Posts
      6,181
      Thanked: 5667
      My Bruce did not have TVD, but it was a heart issue that led to his early death. Personally I would not get a puppy unless the sire and dam had heart clearances conformed by echo.

      Tanya - I feel your pain and empathize with you in you search. I spent months and months searching for a breeder in my area that did ALL clearances, and was breeding Labs that looked like Labs, and Labs that worked like Labs. I'd probably still be looking if Anne hadn't had that littler with the yellow boys and was kind enough to let me have one of her dogs.

    8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to barry581 For This Useful Post:

      Charlotte K. (01-01-2019), JackK (01-02-2019), kimbersmom (12-29-2018), Tanya (12-29-2018), windycanyon (12-29-2018)

    9. #6
      Senior Dog
      Tanya's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Eastern Ontario Canada
      Posts
      3,145
      Thanked: 1859
      Quote Originally Posted by JenC View Post
      I think you are looking at more performance type dogs, right? The hunting lab folks are very slow to incorporate this test into their core of health clearances. You'll be hard-pressed to find alot of them doing the test at all.
      itís definately more rare in hunt/field kennels absolutely. but mannnny of the conformation breeders i am looking at in my province do not either. but more conformation breeders are doing them overall

      if i remove breeders who donít do heart on at least stud it removed 80% of breeders (who also do titles and all other tests). which is why i ask.

      for the record i have my top two choices but have not heard back from either trying to be patient ( not expecting a puppy soon but hopeful to hear from one of the two at least...).

      working on back-up plans. i see a yellow females available mid JAN but not seeing heart listed, parents are not specificed and donít want to email to find out (i got into issues just emailing too many).




      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    10. #7
      Senior Dog
      Labradorks's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2014
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      3,826
      Thanked: 2311
      Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
      it’s definately more rare in hunt/field kennels absolutely. but mannnny of the conformation breeders i am looking at in my province do not either. but more conformation breeders are doing them overall

      if i remove breeders who don’t do heart on at least stud it removed 80% of breeders (who also do titles and all other tests). which is why i ask.

      for the record i have my top two choices but have not heard back from either trying to be patient ( not expecting a puppy soon but hopeful to hear from one of the two at least...).

      working on back-up plans. i see a yellow females available mid JAN but not seeing heart listed, parents are not specificed and don’t want to email to find out (i got into issues just emailing too many).


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      You know which breeder does do them, right?

    11. #8
      Senior Dog
      Tanya's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Eastern Ontario Canada
      Posts
      3,145
      Thanked: 1859
      Quote Originally Posted by Labradorks View Post
      You know which breeder does do them, right?
      well one for sure and they are my #1. the second has heart listed on some of their dogs so its a start. would need to confirm if they ever do get back to me.

      looked promising for heart on back-up plans 3 and 4


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    12. The Following User Says Thank You to Tanya For This Useful Post:

      Labradorks (12-29-2018)

    13. #9
      Senior Dog
      windycanyon's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2014
      Location
      C. WA
      Posts
      1,546
      Thanked: 1149
      If you are looking in Canada, the % of breeders doing echo will be even less due to the fact cardiologists and clinics are even fewer and farther between. I've seen some crazy high prices listed on the Labrador TVD page on FB from Canadians. Even certain areas of the upper midwest (Chicago area, surprisingly) have fewer options for echoes. I live 150 miles from Seattle where our nearest cardiology specialist is, so my solution to that several yrs ago was to add a heart clinic to our existing annual eye clinic. Initially we were offering it every 3rd yr but went to every other yr in 2017. We get people as far away as MT coming to see this particular cardiologist. He is good, and is as reasonable as I can see (~$200 for echo) and is not even charging us travel which helps us keep prices down. Bottom line, as a result of this, we HAVE gotten several of the field breeders coming to the clinic now. Just this week, I had 2 more field breeders ask me to send info as soon as everything is set in stone.

      So it's coming but it all takes time. I think many field breeders have woke up now after seeing that TVD is indeed in the field trial lines as well as conformation lines. Anne

      Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
      it’s definately more rare in hunt/field kennels absolutely. but mannnny of the conformation breeders i am looking at in my province do not either. but more conformation breeders are doing them overall

      if i remove breeders who don’t do heart on at least stud it removed 80% of breeders (who also do titles and all other tests). which is why i ask.

      for the record i have my top two choices but have not heard back from either trying to be patient ( not expecting a puppy soon but hopeful to hear from one of the two at least...).

      working on back-up plans. i see a yellow females available mid JAN but not seeing heart listed, parents are not specificed and don’t want to email to find out (i got into issues just emailing too many).




      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Hidden Content
      The WindyCanyon Girls, Summer 2018
      IntCH WindyCanyon's Northern Spy CDX RA JH OA OAJ CC (13.5 yrs)
      IntCh WindyCanyon's Ruby Pink BN CD RA CC (3.5 yrs)
      IntCH WindyCanyon's Kanzi BN CDX RE JH (4 yrs)
      WindyCanyon ItsOnlyMoneyHoneycrisp (4mos)
      WindyCanyon's Pippin RN (18 mos)
      IntCH WindyCanyon's Envy CDX RE JH CC 9.5 yrs)
      IntCH HIT WindyCanyon's Kiku A Fuji Too CDX RE JH CC (9 yrs)







    14. #10
      Senior Dog
      Tanya's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Eastern Ontario Canada
      Posts
      3,145
      Thanked: 1859

      Heart Clearance

      Quote Originally Posted by windycanyon View Post
      If you are looking in Canada, the % of breeders doing echo will be even less due to the fact cardiologists and clinics are even fewer and farther between. I've seen some crazy high prices listed on the Labrador TVD page on FB from Canadians. Even certain areas of the upper midwest (Chicago area, surprisingly) have fewer options for echoes. I live 150 miles from Seattle where our nearest cardiology specialist is, so my solution to that several yrs ago was to add a heart clinic to our existing annual eye clinic. Initially we were offering it every 3rd yr but went to every other yr in 2017. We get people as far away as MT coming to see this particular cardiologist. He is good, and is as reasonable as I can see (~$200 for echo) and is not even charging us travel which helps us keep prices down. Bottom line, as a result of this, we HAVE gotten several of the field breeders coming to the clinic now. Just this week, I had 2 more field breeders ask me to send info as soon as everything is set in stone.

      So it's coming but it all takes time. I think many field breeders have woke up now after seeing that TVD is indeed in the field trial lines as well as conformation lines. Anne

      thanks. i think this may indeed be the issue and maybe the breeders do who it are closer to US and/or travel there more. itís sad to write off any breeder thatís closer, and significantly cheaper without exchange rate/duties. but price is not a deciding factor.

      read of a similar issue with one test for another breed in a specific province. that it was an 8hr drive one way to get to closest vet/clinic who does that specific test. so there was maybe one breeder in the province who did it.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Quick Reply Quick Reply

     



    Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
    Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •