• Innocent
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Tired
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
      Puppy

Benji could use some mojo!

Hi everyone -- it's been a while! Hope you all had a wonderful holiday. I've been back from college for about a month and I'm headed back next week after a wonderful winter hanging out with Benji and celebrating his upcoming 11th birthday.

Sadly, after he slipped on the tile in our kitchen, Ben started limping and whimpering, favoring his front left leg. The vet prescribed some Previcox and Gabapentin--she suspects some inflammation or nerve issue in one of the neck discs, since he has full range of motion and is weight-bearing on his legs but can't move his neck too much. His creatinine levels were a little high at his last annual, so we also did a follow up test to check kidney function. That is making me worry about Previcox, too.

I was told to keep him calm and rested for a few days before re-evaluating, which is typical protocol in the horse world too (the wonders of stall rest!) but it's still killing me to see my baby like this. Would love some mojo (and any advice from people that have been in similar boats).

Senior Dog
      Sending Mojo.

Senior Dog
      Awww...poor guy. Sending all good thoughts for Benji's comfort and health.

One thing to consider if he's usually OK on slippery floors...his hind end might be starting to weaken. That's been our "clue" with and Akita and two Labs. The Labs ended up with real hind end issues.
      Hidden Content

Sunnie: gotcha day 03/08/09; birth unknown but given 07/01/02

Danny: The Sundance Kid....Sunnie's boy....birth 03/31/09 (in my living room)

Barb (ID formerly "Baffle")

Senior Dog
      I'm sorry he's having problems. I hate seeing my pups look like they're in pain. I hope rest and meds give him what he needs to recover from the slip.

Senior Dog
      My OH is this very minute putting carpet strips on our hardwood stairs. Oban is 11 and has just recently been having some slipping issues with his hind feet. During recent Xrays for suspected cancer in bony growth of his elbow his back was also Xrayed and there is arthritis showing up there that may be giving him some twinges. WE also changed up his TCM recently and on days he seems to be hurting I give him more of Free the Sinews. It really seems to help a lot. Cold snowy weather is worse for Oban, not because it makes him ache in and of itself, but because it makes him full of joy, he runs and jumps and plays like crazy, then he hurts more.
      Hidden Content

Oh boy. A stick in the SNOW! Hidden Content

Senior Dog
      Just came back to say, the carpet stair tread covers have been on for a few hours now and we think there's a big difference in Oban's stability on the stairs. Especially going down.

@missy, another idea, we make sure to keep the hair between his toes trimmed very short and his toenails short. Learned that with the Lab before, when her toenails needed trimming she was reluctant to use the stairs.

Puppy
      Thanks everyone for your good thoughts. Last night was a rough one—Ben couldn’t sleep too well and woke up every hour or so whining. Snowshoe, we’re definitely going to clip his nails and put down some no-skid yoga mats on our tiled kitchen (house is open plan). He actually seems to be pretty sound in his hind end, he just gets so excited and dances around on the very slippery tile. Just want him to be comfortable

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to missy For This Useful Post:

smartrock (01-11-2019), SunDance (01-11-2019)

Best Friend Retriever
      We have a tiled kitchen and put down several carpet runners for our senior dog. Gives him more stability. Funny, our youngest dog doesn’t like to come into the kitchen if the runners aren’t down.

Good thoughts for you and Beijing.

Hidden Content
      I'm in
      the zone!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Kleb For This Useful Post:

missy (01-11-2019)

Puppy
      Quote Originally Posted by Kleb View Post
      We have a tiled kitchen and put down several carpet runners for our senior dog. Gives him more stability. Funny, our youngest dog doesn’t like to come into the kitchen if the runners aren’t down.

Good thoughts for you and Beijing.

Carpet runners--thanks for the great idea! Less worrying about slippage than yoga mats, I'd think.

Senior Dog
      Cool

Sending good thoughts for Benji. It's tough when they get old and one should be extra careful. Maybe start thinking about putting Benji on a joint supplement if you haven't already. Be extra careful with NSAIDs and watch him closely. Physical therapy may help too.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Berna For This Useful Post:

missy (01-12-2019)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
    Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos