• Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Drunk
  • Geeky
  • Grumpy
  • Happy
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Tired
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Results 1 to 10 of 20

    Thread: Puppy names!

    1. #1
      Senior Dog
      arentspowell's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Tampa, FL
      Posts
      1,134
      Thanked: 795

      Puppy names!

      As if I wasn’t driving you all crazy with my puppy posts already, I thought it might be fun to get puppy name suggestions.

      Our current dogs are Lily and Daisy but the flower theme doesn’t really work with a male dog. One of my friends suggested Basil as a potential name but DH isn’t on board.

      At one point we both liked Bear for a black male but now DH is strongly leaning towards Thor. If he does end up being a Thor, I have already have an AKC name in mind.

      My MIL has been pushing for Rigby or Chase.

      Ultimately we’ll have to see what name fits best when we meet him but we are open to other suggestions.



      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    2. #2
      Senior Dog
      Tired
       
      lovemylabby's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Upstate New York
      Posts
      1,167
      Thanked: 508
      Congrats on your upcoming new addition!

      I really like "Nautical" names for black Labs:

      Sailor

      Skipper

      Gunner

      Hudson

      Boomer

      Captain

      Tide

    3. #3
      Moderator
      barry581's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Dover
      Posts
      6,281
      Thanked: 5769
      Gus, Oscar, and Edgar were in the mix when I was trying to come up for a name for Brooks. I ended up with Brooks because I'm a long time Baltimore Orioles fan, and Brooks Robinson was my favorite all time player.

      All the male pups I've had were named after people I'm a fan of. Clancy was named after author Tom Clancy, and Bruce was named after Bruce Springsteen.

    4. #4
      Senior Dog
      smartrock's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Carolina in my mind..
      Posts
      4,950
      Thanked: 3145
      Two of our girls have had bird names, Magpie and Lark. Our first 2 were litter mate boxers and got Bridget and Brandy because they sounded good together, in our opinion. Our boys have just had regular boy names, Jack, Teddy, Chase, and Henry. Henry got that name because he's our 8th dog. Even though many of our names are one syllable, we often turn them into 2 syllable names- Chasey, Larky, Jacky, so we should just have started out with a 2 syllable name. Plus, I have tried not to pick a name that I know someone else has/had a dog with that name. Plus, having worked in schools, there are some names that have more or less positive connotations for me, so there are some names that just wouldn't make the cut.

      My sister says her kids picked their dogs' names, I suspect with her strong influence, and they're all named after book characters, Baloo (Jungle Book), Charlie (and the Chocolate Factory), and Sawyer (Tom) if, for example, you're hoping to find some theme that you could follow down the line. In light of your profession, are there any judges you have special admiration for? Or you could call him Judge. Or places with special meaning for you and your husband? We obviously don't have a kennel but we put the name of our favorite beach community in all our labs' AKC names.

      Picking a name is so hard but generally the name we picked ahead of time we thought fit the pups. Good luck with all this, we can't wait to hear all about little (fill in the blank)!

    5. The Following User Says Thank You to smartrock For This Useful Post:

      arentspowell (03-06-2019)

    6. #5
      Senior Dog
      Jollymolly's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2014
      Location
      Texas
      Posts
      4,478
      Thanked: 2337
      Ash or Aspen keeping with plants

      Bentley
      Finn
      Harley


      There are so many to choose from. It sounds like your dogs pick there names mine have always been a name other than the ones I though of lol. Oh the excitement of a new puppy.

    7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jollymolly For This Useful Post:

      arentspowell (03-10-2019)

    8. #6
      Senior Dog
      SunDance's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Ellicott City, MD
      Posts
      5,060
      Thanked: 2682
      Quote Originally Posted by barry581 View Post
      Gus, Oscar, and Edgar were in the mix when I was trying to come up for a name for Brooks. I ended up with Brooks because I'm a long time Baltimore Orioles fan, and Brooks Robinson was my favorite all time player.

      All the male pups I've had were named after people I'm a fan of. Clancy was named after author Tom Clancy, and Bruce was named after Bruce Springsteen.
      No Elvis???

    9. #7
      Senior Dog
      MightyThor's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Bend, Oregon
      Posts
      1,752
      Thanked: 2610
      Aww Thor.

      I recommend coming up with several names you like, then meet the puppy and see what just seems right. Every dog I've had has been named that way. Except for maybe Max. Max was a rescue and I thought the name that the rescue had given him was the most generic name ever. I kept trying other names but nope, Max just worked for him so it stuck.

    10. #8
      Senior Dog
      arentspowell's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Tampa, FL
      Posts
      1,134
      Thanked: 795
      Quote Originally Posted by MightyThor View Post
      Aww Thor.

      I recommend coming up with several names you like, then meet the puppy and see what just seems right. Every dog I've had has been named that way. Except for maybe Max. Max was a rescue and I thought the name that the rescue had given him was the most generic name ever. I kept trying other names but nope, Max just worked for him so it stuck.
      I showed my DH your post about Thor’s name! Lol

      That’s what I’m thinking too. Have a bunch of names ready and see what fits.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    11. #9
      Senior Dog
      arentspowell's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Tampa, FL
      Posts
      1,134
      Thanked: 795
      Quote Originally Posted by smartrock View Post
      Two of our girls have had bird names, Magpie and Lark. Our first 2 were litter mate boxers and got Bridget and Brandy because they sounded good together, in our opinion. Our boys have just had regular boy names, Jack, Teddy, Chase, and Henry. Henry got that name because he's our 8th dog. Even though many of our names are one syllable, we often turn them into 2 syllable names- Chasey, Larky, Jacky, so we should just have started out with a 2 syllable name. Plus, I have tried not to pick a name that I know someone else has/had a dog with that name. Plus, having worked in schools, there are some names that have more or less positive connotations for me, so there are some names that just wouldn't make the cut.

      My sister says her kids picked their dogs' names, I suspect with her strong influence, and they're all named after book characters, Baloo (Jungle Book), Charlie (and the Chocolate Factory), and Sawyer (Tom) if, for example, you're hoping to find some theme that you could follow down the line. In light of your profession, are there any judges you have special admiration for? Or you could call him Judge. Or places with special meaning for you and your husband? We obviously don't have a kennel but we put the name of our favorite beach community in all our labs' AKC names.

      Picking a name is so hard but generally the name we picked ahead of time we thought fit the pups. Good luck with all this, we can't wait to hear all about little (fill in the blank)!
      DH had a dog named Sprigy growing up after a type of duck. I like the idea of theme names which is probably why my girls have a flower theme. Still working on a theme for boy dogs.

      Love the story behind Henry’s name!


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    12. #10
      Chief Pooper Scooper
      JenC's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Colorado
      Posts
      2,512
      Thanked: 2509
      Tree names: Hawthorn, Forrest, Cedar, alder, ash, Rowan, Bay

    Quick Reply Quick Reply

     



    Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
    Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •