• Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Tired
      Senior Dog

How Would Your Dog(s) React?

Down to my sister's today, she fell and broke her wrist. When she called 911 she warned them there were two dogs in the house. Her dog, Oban's cousin Bonnie, was fine. But the granddog is a nasty little thing and he was lunging at the paramedics. Sis was on the floor, so they were bending over her, meaning their faces were kind of low. The paramedics told her they had one dog that would not allow them near a patient, a family member had to be called to subdue it. Sis's OH got home in time to help with the dogs.

I doubt Oban would threaten anyone but if I was hurt, who knows. We give off different vibes when we hurt. Some dogs can smell cancer, low blood sugar so I can see how a dog might act out if he smells/senses pain and or fear on his human.
      Hidden Content

Oh boy. A stick in the SNOW! Hidden Content

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

Bamps (05-23-2019)

Senior Dog
      Happy

That is a question I asked one time when I took Archie to visit the fire/ambulance station. One, I wanted him to see and smell them and their equipment; a lot of different stuff. They have a policy in place that they will call AC to help restrain the dog if necessary. I don't think any of our labs would have been a problem but was not sure about Archie. I know our AC, a really good one, and would trust them to do what was necessary to help me and keep Archie safe and the paramedics safe.
      Hidden Content
      Kissing Bandit

Senior Dog
      My girls would be all over faces. Kissing. Would be disgusting.
      Hidden Content
      The WindyCanyon Girls, Summer 2018
      IntCH WindyCanyon's Northern Spy CDX RA JH OA OAJ CC (13.5 yrs)
      IntCh WindyCanyon's Ruby Pink BN CD RA CC (3.5 yrs)
      IntCH WindyCanyon's Kanzi BN CDX RE JH (4 yrs)
      WindyCanyon ItsOnlyMoneyHoneycrisp BN RN (4mos)
      WindyCanyon's Pippin BN RI (18 mos)
      IntCH WindyCanyon's Envy CDX RE JH CC 9.5 yrs)
      IntCH HIT WindyCanyon's Kiku A Fuji Too CDX RE JH CC (9 yrs)

Senior Dog
      Quote Originally Posted by windycanyon View Post
      My girls would be all over faces. Kissing. Would be disgusting.
      Same here...only, with Dan, there'd also be a lot of excited whimpering and semi-zoomies. At least, that's what would happen if someone had been let into the house to do what they had to do. If people just waltzed in and the person on the floor was the only human home....not sure. I think once someone acknowledged the dogs, they'd be fine.

I used to know a woman in the park...about 15 - 20 years older than I am....who walked two Bichons. One morning, as I'm walking down the hill that leads to the lake, I see her lying on the path. Still. OMG. So I go rushing down the hill, calling her name. No response. As I get closer, she sits up and starts to laugh. She faked collapsing to see what her dogs would do. Well....she tested my reflexes, that's for sure. And the dogs were off sniffing on the ends of their retractable leashes.

Senior Dog
      Mine would alert bark, say hi, and as soon as they realized the responders had no food would run away in disgust.
      Annette

HIT Cookie (Jamrah’s Legally Blonde, CD, BN) 6/4/2015
      Sassy (Jamrah’s Blonde Ambition, CD, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (OTCH HIT HC Windsong’s Femme Fatale, UDX4, OM6, RN) 6/7/2009

Remembering:
      Scully (Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, RN) 4/4/1996 - 6/30/2011
      Our foster Jolie (UCh Windsong’s Genuine Risk, CDX, WC) 5/26/1999 - 3/2/2014
      and Mulder (Coventry’s I Want to Believe, UD, VER, WC, RN) 5/26/1999 - 4/20/2015

Hidden Content

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Annette47 For This Useful Post:

smartrock (05-22-2019)

Senior Dog
      Mine would hop around and bark and then be all over them looking for some loving with the exception of my yellow lab Aimee. She can be a bit snarky when someone comes near Mama. She grazed a mans arm with her teeth after I warmed him to stay back from her, she didnt bite down at all just gave a fair warning, back away from Mama right now. Otherwise she is just as friendly as the others when she gets the ok from me

Real Retriever
      Good girl, Bonnie!!!

This situation has happened to us several times when we cared for my ailing, disabled Mom and had to phone 911. We usually put the girls in the spare-room behind a gate, but when we couldn't, Zoe would lay on the sofa - out of harms way, and it was the paramedics and firemen who were all over her (after Mom was attended to), and Opal went downstairs and laid in her crate. Both were good girls!

Senior Dog
      Grumpy

So the paramedics knew they would encounter dogs, as I’m sure they do in many cases, why not carry dog treats? Toss a couple dog treats in the next room and when they go after the treats, shut the door. Once they get the victim out, release the dogs leaving them a couple more treats as they leave the house.

Hope your sister’s ok

Opie would be OK but Peanut Chihuahua does not like strangers interferring in her day at all. She may influence Opie to not appreciate their efforts too

Senior Dog
      Well, first, the dogs would be elated that I was lying on the floor and extra bonus that some new friends came to visit! If I was passed out, they'd probably be stepping on me in their eagerness to meet their new friends. Did your sister have her phone with her when she fell?

House Broken
      Over the years, with all the dogs and all the times paramedics have been to my house, I have never had a problem. Dogs mostly came to see who was there, why they were there, then went into another room and stayed there. Guess I am lucky?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
    Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos