• Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Drunk
  • Geeky
  • Grumpy
  • Happy
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Tired
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Results 21 to 24 of 24
    1. #21
      Senior Dog
      Berna's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Belgrade, Serbia
      Thanked: 2742
      Conservative management can work sometimes. It worked for Cookie's right leg (he blew both). It happened back in 2011 and took us a few months with conservative management. The issue hasn't reoccurred since.

    2. The Following User Says Thank You to Berna For This Useful Post:

      SunDance (05-18-2017)

    3. #22
      MomtoMolly's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2017
      Toronto, Canada
      Thanked: 4
      Quote Originally Posted by Dalila View Post
      Gah, this is all so overwhelming. We haven't taken him to the vet yet, because DH has to do it (He doesn't get along with other dogs, much less cats, and he's a leash puller). So I'm praying that it is not that because I posted on Nextdoor to get an idea about pricing and it's around $3000-4000, which is just not something we can afford. We live on a second floor and have to take some really treacherous outdoor stair (the metal kind attached to the side of the building). He might be on board with pooping in the empty rooms in the building were we live (like the one in the video) but I don't think he's going to want to pee upstairs. The only thing he has going for him is that he is very sedentary, so maybe conservative management will help him some. We will probably go with a brace.
      I just want my baby to be healthy and happy.
      Has anyone here gone with CM? How has the dog fared?
      First, I'm so sorry you've gone through this and I know how hard it can be. We did conservative management with Molly (our six year old lab, back right knee was lame for about 8 months) and a holistic vet had been the one to discourage us from surgery. We ended up doing CM for as long as we thought it held potential, but given her size (70 lbs) we were told in a surgical consult that she needed the help and surgery. We were discouraged as well from a brace, b/c that can actually do more harm than good because it could diminish the muscle that your dog has or could develop.

      Best bet is vet appointment and (my two cents) know that surgery isn't so scary. I was terrified originally. And I would have done anything back then to avoid TPLO surgery because the idea seemed really expensive and really challenging to arrange and manage and really scary for her. But we moved ahead with it, and recovery was better than I could have ever imagined. Sure, it was tough, but they toe-touch the next day often, and now - only 3 months after the surgery, she is back to good as new!

      When you talk to the vet about options (I had done the same because there seemed to be SO MANY) ask what gives your pup the best long term outcome based on what they see. We were told TPLO because TTA wouldn't work for her size and was more so for smaller dogs.

      Good luck and I'm rooting for you guys!!!

    4. #23
      Dalila's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2017
      Thanked: 0
      Another update on the brace. It's not working too well on him. He basically can not get down with the brace on so he will follow me around all day, even when I know he would be lying down in my kids room napping (the AC is colder in that room). And it's not a perfect fit so it keeps on sliding down. So no more brace for now. Either way he's doing much better so hopefully when we go to our cabin this summer I will be able to keep him on a leash most times. We have a huge yard there and of course he loves to run around.

    5. #24
      Senior Dog
      Doreen Davis's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      New York
      Thanked: 579
      So I have 2 experiences. One with a 9 yo collie and we opted for CM, it had probably happened years ago and we couldn't see doing it at that age. She was extremely arthritic as she aged but they stabilized as the doctor who posted described.

      We now have a 3 yo yellow lab, extremely active (with a 3 yo companion chocolate) who ruptured both and we are on week 7-8 of bilateral TTA. You could hear her bones rubbing together and we just couldn't envision a dog this active hobbled.

      We checked out our surgeon carefully, listened to his recommendation and also had a full conversation with our primary vet. Everyone agreed on surgery for Stella and everyone had agreed on CM for Ruthie.

      We are incredibly fortunate that this time we had pet insurance which has covered 80% of the procedure. The recovery is lengthy and you've got to be watchful. Recognizing the issue of cost and other impediments, age was the driving factor for us. We are comfortable with our decision and if you can I'd have your pup evaluated on both options and go from there.

      I don't actually feel or agree that surgeons are surgery happy, they just have a perspective/filter regarding what surgery can do. I hope that provides a perspective from both sides.

    Quick Reply Quick Reply


    Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
    Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts