• Innocent
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Tired
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
      Senior Dog
      Quote Originally Posted by smartrock View Post
      So, would this be like pernicious anemia in humans? What symptoms are you seeing? I don't know anything about it, just the B12 deficiency made me think pernicious anemia.
      Not quite. Usually there is an issue with the pancreas where the body's digestive enzymes don't work to digest food. Because there is now excess undigested food in the small intestine, this produces an overload of bad gut bacteria. The bad bacteria depletes the b-12 supply in the body. Because the b-12 supply is now depleted and because there is excess bacteria in the small intestine, the folate level is increased.

The symptoms are consistently loose stools, poor coat, gas, and trouble maintaining weight.

My guess is that if it is EPI it's a very mild case. Basically with EPI the body starves itself. He's definitely not starving.

I guess a lot of times the b-12 injections right the bad bacteria problems.

I really think he has a bacterial problem in his gut, but I chose to go this route to get a definitive diagnosis before treating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Dog
      Quote Originally Posted by Meeps83 View Post
      Not quite. Usually there is an issue with the pancreas where the body's digestive enzymes don't work to digest food. Because there is now excess undigested food in the small intestine, this produces an overload of bad gut bacteria. The bad bacteria depletes the b-12 supply in the body. Because the b-12 supply is now depleted and because there is excess bacteria in the small intestine, the folate level is increased.

The symptoms are consistently loose stools, poor coat, gas, and trouble maintaining weight.

Oban, acute, not chronic. Mild harsh coat most of his life, till now.

My guess is that if it is EPI it's a very mild case. Basically with EPI the body starves itself. He's definitely not starving.

Oban did not have EPI.

I guess a lot of times the b-12 injections right the bad bacteria problems.

I really think he has a bacterial problem in his gut, but I chose to go this route to get a definitive diagnosis before treating.

To replace good gut bacteria Oban had the faecal implant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Hmmm, this is sounding like Oban but with exceptions noted above.

Senior Dog
      For Heaven's Sake. My short term and long term memory are shot. I woke up in the middle of the night last night thinking, did I save that new album I created with Oban's health links in it? Nope, I didn't. I am busy for the next couple of days but will try again, sorry if you looked.

Senior Dog
      Anyone who has posted in this thread interested in helping out at this thread?

The Itchy Dog Project - University of Nottingham, UK

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
    Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos