• Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Drunk
  • Geeky
  • Grumpy
  • Happy
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Tired
  • Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Results 11 to 20 of 53
    1. #11
      Senior Dog
      Annette47's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Central NJ
      Posts
      2,184
      Thanked: 1927
      Quote Originally Posted by Berna View Post
      Cookie does get miserable about his food when there is a female in heat around, but two weeks sounds like a lot to me.

      I'd do a full blood panel.
      Yeah, Mulder lived with intact females and never went off his food (spent 3 days whining but still ate, LOL). Two weeks sounds excessive, especially if the girl isn’t right in the house with him. I’d do a full blood panel, checking for tick-borne stuff as well, and also have his mouth/teeth checked if they haven’t already been.
      Annette

      Cookie (Jamrah’s Legally Blonde, BN) 6/4/2015
      Sassy (Jamrah’s Blonde Ambition, BN) 6/4/2015

      Chloe (HIT HC Windsong’s Femme Fatale, UDX3, OM5) 6/7/2009


      Remembering:
      Scully (Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, RN) 4/4/1996 - 6/30/2011
      Our foster Jolie (UCh Windsong’s Genuine Risk, CDX, WC) 5/26/1999 - 3/2/2014
      and Mulder (Coventry’s I Want to Believe, UD, VER, WC, RN) 5/26/1999 - 4/20/2015

      Hidden Content

    2. #12
      Moderator
      barry581's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Dover
      Posts
      5,650
      Thanked: 5128
      One of Labs from the past had some issues like this. He would just go off his food periodically for no apparent reason. Turns out he did have Lyme. which probably had something to do with it. As Annette mentioned I agree it would be prudent for a full blood panel and check for the tick borne diseases.

    3. #13
      Senior Dog
      Snowshoe's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Canada
      Posts
      6,006
      Thanked: 3385
      Wanted to add, in two weeks of my adult intact male eating only 1/4 can of food a day, plus a few cooked eggs and stray Cheerios, I would see significant weight loss. You did not mention weight loss. If he is not noticeably losing weight surely he must be getting food somewhere else?

    4. #14
      Puppy
      CBlaker114's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2017
      Location
      South Florida
      Posts
      9
      Thanked: 14
      Our boys typically just get kibble. Since Toohey's been off food we've tried two type of kibble and two types of wet dog food. Hell eat cooked chicken (he'll eat around the rice) and he'll eat eggs. Really the only types of people food we've tried.

    5. #15
      Puppy
      CBlaker114's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2017
      Location
      South Florida
      Posts
      9
      Thanked: 14
      Quote Originally Posted by Snowshoe View Post
      Wanted to add, in two weeks of my adult intact male eating only 1/4 can of food a day, plus a few cooked eggs and stray Cheerios, I would see significant weight loss. You did not mention weight loss. If he is not noticeably losing weight surely he must be getting food somewhere else?
      So the 2nd Vet visit (at the 1st vet) he was 71 lbs... at the second vet he was at 69 lbs. So a small loss but not what I'd call significant.

    6. #16
      Puppy
      CBlaker114's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2017
      Location
      South Florida
      Posts
      9
      Thanked: 14
      Quote Originally Posted by Annette47 View Post
      Yeah, Mulder lived with intact females and never went off his food (spent 3 days whining but still ate, LOL). Two weeks sounds excessive, especially if the girl isn’t right in the house with him. I’d do a full blood panel, checking for tick-borne stuff as well, and also have his mouth/teeth checked if they haven’t already been.
      Yeah, I'm probably going to call the vet again tomorrow and check in with them again. The first vet did the blood test, so I'll check with the second to see if that was a full panel test. Also a good thought about tick borne illnesses... we use flee and tick prevention, but nothing is 100% so we'll see.

      He's driving me nuts.. still wants to play around, wrestle, run around outside, but JUST WON'T EAT... driving me nuts...

    7. #17
      Senior Dog
      Shelley's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      United States
      Posts
      1,000
      Thanked: 1376
      How old is Toohey? Puppy? Adult? Senior?

      I get really concerned when a Labrador goes off their feed, especially one of mine. Lack of appetite is one of the first signs we see that our stoic breed is sick, and by this time they have been not feeling well for a while.

      I would push for an abdominal ultrasound, if he doesn't start eating better today. My boy (not my breeding) had a crappy appetite and I took him in for an ultrasound, and we found a huge inoperable prostate tumor, he was 7 years old and we opted to let him go that day, since he wasn't going to improve. X rays are static, and are good for some things, but I feel you can get more information with an ultrasound.

      Good luck and keep us posted.

    8. #18
      Puppy
      CBlaker114's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2017
      Location
      South Florida
      Posts
      9
      Thanked: 14
      Quote Originally Posted by Shelley View Post
      How old is Toohey? Puppy? Adult? Senior?

      I get really concerned when a Labrador goes off their feed, especially one of mine. Lack of appetite is one of the first signs we see that our stoic breed is sick, and by this time they have been not feeling well for a while.

      I would push for an abdominal ultrasound, if he doesn't start eating better today. My boy (not my breeding) had a crappy appetite and I took him in for an ultrasound, and we found a huge inoperable prostate tumor, he was 7 years old and we opted to let him go that day, since he wasn't going to improve. X rays are static, and are good for some things, but I feel you can get more information with an ultrasound.

      Good luck and keep us posted.
      Thanks for the well wishes and the concern. Toohey will be 7 in February. Yeah, I talked with the second vet about an ultrasound... she was saying that's definitely one of the next things she'd try if he doesn't start eating in the next couple days but while we were there he scarfed a full can of food and was acting super happy. We're going to my folks place tomorrow so I'm wondering if a change of venue my kick start his appetite. Either way.. calling the vet to check in with her tomorrow. Thanks again.

    9. #19
      Senior Dog
      Snowshoe's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Canada
      Posts
      6,006
      Thanked: 3385
      Quote Originally Posted by CBlaker114 View Post
      Our boys typically just get kibble. Since Toohey's been off food we've tried two type of kibble and two types of wet dog food. Hell eat cooked chicken (he'll eat around the rice) and he'll eat eggs. Really the only types of people food we've tried.
      Quote Originally Posted by CBlaker114 View Post
      So the 2nd Vet visit (at the 1st vet) he was 71 lbs... at the second vet he was at 69 lbs. So a small loss but not what I'd call significant.
      I agree, not a worrisome weight loss. So he IS eating, just not his regular food. He's eating chicken and eggs? Have you tried the "yummy yummy" trick? Dogs do sometimes go off their food and the owner tries to get them to eat anything. But sometimes what works is mixing up the food on the counter, fake the mixing but stir it up, and make lip smacking yummy yummy sounds. Put the food down, if it's not eaten in 15 or 20 minutes pick it up, let him see you throwing it out (where he can't get it) no more food till next meal. Repeat the yummy yummies and the whole thing. Some people regularly fast one day (assuming you feed twice a day) and it won't hurt. And NO OTHER food. This often works after one mixed meal. If it was me I'd try this before more blood work but I'm sure not against blood work.

      ETA: There might not be Any weight loss. Since the weights were at different Vets the scales could differ. Time of day of weight taking could be the reason for the differences too.
      Last edited by Snowshoe; 12-21-2017 at 07:56 PM.

    10. #20
      Puppy
      CBlaker114's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2017
      Location
      South Florida
      Posts
      9
      Thanked: 14
      So I just wanted to say thank you to all the well wishes and advice from this forum. We took Toohey to an internal medicine vet today. It's lymphoma in his GI track. Nothing we're going to be able to do. They gave us steroids and anti-nausea medication so hopefully he can hold some food down. If he responds well to the medication, we may get another month or two with him. If not, I'll have to make the call sometime this week. I'm just hoping my little man gets to go on another duck hunt or two... it's just not fair.....

      Again... Thanks for the well wishes... Squeeze your labs a little tighter tonight.. maybe let em on the couch or have a piece of cheese

    Quick Reply Quick Reply

     



    Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
    Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •