• Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Drunk
  • Geeky
  • Grumpy
  • Happy
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Tired
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Results 41 to 48 of 48

    Thread: Sam is Sick

    1. #41
      Senior Dog
      Labradorks's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2014
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      3,509
      Thanked: 1996
      Quote Originally Posted by Blackboy98 View Post
      Sounds like things are improving. Hoping for continued success and a final resolution.

      Did the vet talk to you about pre and probiotics to be given either at the same time as the Tylan or after the course is done? Just thinking to myself that is a very strong antibiotic(I think) and Sam will need to replenish the "GOOD" bacteria as soon as possible.

      Sending more MOJO and prayers.
      I need to talk to her about that but wanted to do some research first. I'm a little hesitant especially since pre- and pro-biotics are often not as helpful as we think they are. Studies show that very few of them do anything at all. You have to find the perfect brand/amount/type and it only helps in certain situations. There is a lot of hype and I don't want to throw something at him that can do more harm than good.

    2. #42
      Senior Dog
      Bemused
       
      Blackboy98's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      St. Louis, Mo.
      Posts
      2,040
      Thanked: 1302
      So good to hear that Sam is improving and that Embrace is doing a good job of helping with the expenses.

      I prefer "pilling' a dog vs hiding the med in food because when you 'pill' him, you know that all of it goes down the throat-and it is very easy and quick.
      Hidden Content

      CRACKER-My Heart Dog FOREVER 6/10/2005-7/9/2011

      Mike and Gabe--GOTCHA 7/25/2011

    3. #43
      Senior Dog
      Labradorks's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2014
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      3,509
      Thanked: 1996
      Quote Originally Posted by Blackboy98 View Post
      So good to hear that Sam is improving and that Embrace is doing a good job of helping with the expenses.

      I prefer "pilling' a dog vs hiding the med in food because when you 'pill' him, you know that all of it goes down the throat-and it is very easy and quick.
      LOL, these pills are huge! Over an inch in length. I would know for sure whether or not he swallowed it. I've never had an issue with hiding my dogs' pills in their food. I prefer not to pill a dog because it's generally unpleasant and unnecessary. If I had to, I would, but I don't. If you mean by using powder in their food, I agree. I like the capsule vs. the powder because I know he's getting all of it in him and it's not sticking to the sides of the bowl or getting washed away when he drinks water. And in this case, I would not wish the taste of this stuff on my worst enemy! YUCK!

    4. #44
      Best Friend Retriever
      Anna Scott's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2014
      Location
      Canada
      Posts
      502
      Thanked: 179
      Glad to hear that Sam is responding and starting to show some signs of being on the mend. When the pill taking became a problem with Elle I started to hide them in meatballs . She like the raw beef burger and I baked the ground chicken and turkey with cooked rice. I would split the cooked ones and put the pill in then stick them back together with butter. She had no problem with this and the butter hid the bitterness of the antibiotic.
      Good luck and get well wishes for Sam.

    5. #45
      Senior Dog
      windycanyon's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2014
      Location
      C. WA
      Posts
      1,428
      Thanked: 1067
      Quote Originally Posted by Labradorks View Post
      I need to talk to her about that but wanted to do some research first. I'm a little hesitant especially since pre- and pro-biotics are often not as helpful as we think they are. Studies show that very few of them do anything at all. You have to find the perfect brand/amount/type and it only helps in certain situations. There is a lot of hype and I don't want to throw something at him that can do more harm than good.
      Someone needs to tell all my vets that news. I have sold 2 pups to holistic vets who in addition to my other 2 main vets (and ER vet just 2 weeks ago), say you cannot over do the probiotics. I've been using a good product here for 15 yrs or so and it's always the first thing that comes up on breeders' sites when pups have upsets.
      Hidden Content
      The WindyCanyon Girls, Fall 2016
      IntCh WindyCanyon's Ruby Pink BN CD RA CC (2.5 yrs)
      IntCH WindyCanyon's Envy CDX RE JH CC (8.5 yrs)
      IntCH WindyCanyon Patent Nfringement CDX RA JH CC (11 yrs)
      IntCH WindyCanyon's Northern Spy CDX RA JH OA OAJ CC (12.5 yrs)
      IntCH WindyCanyon's Kanzi BN CDX RE JH (3 yrs)
      IntCH HIT WindyCanyon's Kiku A Fuji Too CDX RE JH CC (8 yrs)
      IntCH WindyCanyon's SweeTango CD RA JH CC (7 yrs)






    6. #46
      Senior Dog
      windycanyon's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2014
      Location
      C. WA
      Posts
      1,428
      Thanked: 1067
      Quote Originally Posted by smartrock View Post
      Interesting about the Tylan powder. Lark got it when she was a youngster but the vet gave it to us already in capsules. While it comes in powder form, if it tastes so bad, I'm not sure why it's not put into capsules like any other medication. Maybe because it's off label use for dogs.

      The changes you've seen already sound promising. I hope things go well and this is a curable condition.
      I have used Tylosin for my baby puppies. They've eaten it just fine as a powder (and quite frankly I've had to use it before they can chew, so powder is the way to go w/ them). It is great stuff to have on hand. Sadly, just went prescription thru my source so next time I order, it has to go thru a vet.

    7. #47
      Senior Dog
      Tanya's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Eastern Ontario Canada
      Posts
      3,045
      Thanked: 1816
      Quote Originally Posted by windycanyon View Post
      Someone needs to tell all my vets that news. I have sold 2 pups to holistic vets who in addition to my other 2 main vets (and ER vet just 2 weeks ago), say you cannot over do the probiotics. I've been using a good product here for 15 yrs or so and it's always the first thing that comes up on breeders' sites when pups have upsets.
      interesting. i was talking to rocky's physio about probiotics (and honestly don't know he level of education in supplements so take this for what it's worth). She said it's not ideal to keep a dog on probiotics on an ongoing basis. As the body stops working to balance itself/provide it's own compounds (or something like that). Good to help with specific issues for set period of time though.

      I just put rocky on probiotics recently but he's old haha. And I know my friend said her holistic vet (same vet Rocky sees actually) recommended a specific probiotic for her puppy. So - seems to fit with what you say the holistic vets did with the pups you sold.

    8. #48
      Senior Dog
      Labradorks's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2014
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      3,509
      Thanked: 1996
      I never made a blanket statement and said that none of them work. Is it the right one? Is it needed? Is it enough? How do we determine this? Where is the scientific evidence? Does the same one work for everyone? I've tried them in many forms and they did not work for this situation, not even early on before it got out of hand. Lots of studies being done right now to determine effectiveness and in Europe it is currently illegal to make claims for probiotics because there is no evidence to back them up.

    Quick Reply Quick Reply

     



    Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
    Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •