• Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Tired
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
      I’m so sorry to hear this.

My sweet Maggie had a lesion removed from her mouth in 2012 (she was 8) and was diagnosed with epitheliotropic lymphoma, a rare cancer with average survival rate measured in months without treatment. We worked with a veterinary oncologist and started chemotherapy (CCNU, or lomustine) soon after her diagnosis. She tolerated the chemo—which was supplied orally every couple of weeks—very well, though her bloodwork was closely monitored and occasionally we had to delay treatment until her counts rebounded. I don’t think the oral chemo bothered her much, and she did very well for about 2 years. (We also started seeing a second vet who specialized in traditional Chinese medicine—TCM—and other alternative treatments, which I think contributed to the positive outcome.)

Unfortunately we discovered another lesion in her mouth in 2014, and at that time our only option was radiation therapy. Of course, it targeted her face and mouth, and it was very hard. It burned and itched, she lost hair, one side of her face was raw. Because it was her face, it was impossible to ignore her discomfort. We lost her a couple months later.
      I’ve known others who treated their dogs with radiation therapy with varying results. For us—and hopefully for Maggie—the chemo (and TCM) gave her about 2 years of good-quality life and I don’t regret trying it. Knowing what I know now, I’m not sure I would do radiation again. But every case is different, and your options for anal gland cancer are surely very different than ours. Learn as much as you can about the treatments and side effects involved and ask questions. And hopefully you have a vet you can trust.

It’s not easy having to make these decisions for our pets. Sending you all good thoughts.

Best Friend Retriever
      Moses Lake
      I just want to add that I'm sorry you are facing this, and I will be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.......

House Broken
      Sorry to read about Yogi's cancer .

Some dogs do well with chemo/radiation treatments, others don't. Our experience with chemo in a family member's dog, didn't go so well.

We've treated/managed cancers with our own dogs with natural treatments with the guidance of our dogs' holistic/homeopathic vet.
      Here's some info to consider for Yogi:
      Holistic Options For Canine Anal Gland Issues - Dogs Naturally Magazine
      Holistic approach to anal gland problems in dogs I Dr. Peter Dobias
      There are also medicinal mushrooms that have worked wonders.

Wishing Yogi and you all the very best.

House Broken
      Spokane, WA
      This seems to be a pretty common cancer in Labs. These are usually anal gland carcinomas and even though they are malignant, they are classified as a low-grade malignancy. The problem with them is usually rapid recurrence. Your surgeon said that the margins were not clean, meaning that there were likely cancer cells remaining in the surrounding tissue. This is common because the surgeon has to be aggressive to remove the tumor but gentle not to enter the colon or cut the pudendal nerve that allow anal sphincter control. The problem I have with radiation and chemo for these tumors is that historically, carcinomas do not respond favorably as a cancer type. As you likely know, not all cancers are alike. Some of them respond to chemo/radiation better than others. I am currently treating two dogs that have this cancer, both have had the tumor surgically removed and neither opted for chemo or radiation. Both dogs are on wholesome food, supplements, acupuncture and Chinese herbs. Both have been coming in for several months and neither has had the tumor return at this time. You might do your own research as to the effectiveness with chemo and radiation for his particular type of tumor and alternative therapies as you consider your options. Good luck.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dennis Thomas, DVM For This Useful Post:

SunDance (Today)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
    Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos