• Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Drunk
  • Geeky
  • Grumpy
  • Happy
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Tired
  • Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Results 1 to 10 of 71
    1. #1
      Puppy
      michellemabelle's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2015
      Location
      Oxfordshire
      Posts
      32
      Thanked: 1

      Exclamation Not Sure If Puppy Ate Rat Poison!?!

      Yesterday it was incredibly cold outside with snow, ice, and winds of up to 30 mph. I brought my just-turned-1 year old Labrador Retriever inside my garage and left him there all night tied up. Apparently he freed himself and I saw black plastic chewed up. I didn't think much of it until I saw the clear plastic cover that said Tomcat Rat Poison. I am NOT sure if he ate rat poison or not. That rat poison had been hiding somewhere in my garage for about a month now so I'm not sure how much was left (if the rats ate it). I didn't look for the pellet as I am terrified of mice and there have been some in my garage. If my dog doesn't poop green by tomorrow is it safe to say he didn't ingest it? I am hoping that when he picked up the box the rat poison fell out but I couldn't say. I have absolutely no money to take him to the vet and I don't know what to do. I literally have about $50 in my bank account right now and don't know what to do! Can I go to Walmart and just give him some human Vitamin K pills or something? Help please!

    2. #2
      Senior Dog
      Labradorks's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2014
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      3,388
      Thanked: 1914
      If you call the emergency vet, they sometimes give advice over the phone, though it may be limited due to liability. It may vary depending on the situation and the vet on duty. You can also google what to do if the dog eats the poison and may find a DIY remedy, but your best bet by far is the vet. You'll need to know your dog's weight, what the poison was made out of -- there are two or three different types -- and when he may have eaten it. If the dog ate enough rat poison to kill him it should take 3-5 days for him to die.

      Some emergency vets can set up a payment plan or give credit. The treatment for poisoning may not be as much as you think. You could also determine how far you are willing to go based on finances, among other things. Does your dog have a regular vet, someone you have known for a long time that might be able to provide a payment plan? Could you borrow money from a friend or relative?

      If the dog does survive, you should consider finding him a new home through a reputable rescue, preferably a Lab rescue. A dog should not live outside or be tied up in a garage and it sounds like you're not in a position to adequately care for the dog at this time.

      I hope things turn out OK.

    3. #3
      Puppy
      michellemabelle's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2015
      Location
      Oxfordshire
      Posts
      32
      Thanked: 1
      I know, you are right. I cannot take care of my lovely Lab and it breaks my heart. So, if he did eat it, the bromethalin it contains is 0.01% and he either ate one pellet or just half a pellet. I'm guessing he is around 100 pounds, maybe less. Do you think this is enough to kill him? I just want my Coconut to live! I'm so upset. It's been about 19 hours and so far he seems fine. No bleeding or weird moods or loss of appetite. I'm so scared though.

    4. #4
      Senior Dog
      Abulafia's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2015
      Location
      Pacific Northwest
      Posts
      1,111
      Thanked: 685
      Is this a serious post?
      Hidden Content Hokule'a ("Hoku") / b. 06.08.15

    5. The Following User Says Thank You to Abulafia For This Useful Post:

      Tanya (12-29-2015)

    6. #5
      Senior Dog
      Labradorks's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2014
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      3,388
      Thanked: 1914
      Quote Originally Posted by michellemabelle View Post
      Do you think this is enough to kill him?
      I don't know, I'm not a vet. Call one, they should be able to help you. Good luck!

    7. The Following User Says Thank You to Labradorks For This Useful Post:

      Abulafia (12-29-2015)

    8. #6
      Senior Dog
      Labradorks's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2014
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      3,388
      Thanked: 1914
      Quote Originally Posted by Abulafia View Post
      Is this a serious post?
      *shrug*

    9. The Following User Says Thank You to Labradorks For This Useful Post:

      barry581 (12-29-2015)

    10. #7
      Chief Pooper Scooper
      JenC's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Colorado
      Posts
      2,162
      Thanked: 2120
      Too late now, but I would have called poison control to find out if it would be OK to induce vomiting with hydrogen peroxide.

      A yard or a garage is no place for a lab. I would do the right thing and see if you can get the lab placed.
      Jen & Tickle!
      Hidden Content

    11. #8
      Puppy
      michellemabelle's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2015
      Location
      Oxfordshire
      Posts
      32
      Thanked: 1
      Yes this is a serious post! I was hoping someone would help me (if their Labs had ever gotten ahold of rat poison).

    12. #9
      Puppy
      michellemabelle's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2015
      Location
      Oxfordshire
      Posts
      32
      Thanked: 1
      Quote Originally Posted by JenC View Post
      Too late now, but I would have called poison control to find out if it would be OK to induce vomiting with hydrogen peroxide.

      A yard or a garage is no place for a lab. I would do the right thing and see if you can get the lab placed.
      I've never liked that Coconut is an outdoor dog. He's not my pet, he's my sister's pet and she's always been so irresponsible with him and I have told her, multiple times, to take him to a nearby Lab rescue center and she refuses. She's currently out of the country and I don't want to tell her of my suspicion that he might have eaten a rat poison block!

    13. #10
      Senior Dog
      smartrock's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Carolina in my mind..
      Posts
      3,852
      Thanked: 2346
      When my sister's dog ate rat poison left behind by the builders, she took him to an emergency vet where they pumped his stomach and he probably got Vitamin K. I wouldn't know how much Vitamin K to even recommend- that would be a decision for a vet. If you haven't spoken to an emergency vet, your regular vet, or to poison control, I'd do so as soon as possible. The last time I called an emergency vet they would not give me advice over the phone although my regular vet usually will. If you haven't called, please do.

    Quick Reply Quick Reply

     



    Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
    Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos

    Tags for this Thread

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •