• Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Drunk
  • Geeky
  • Grumpy
  • Happy
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Tired
  • Results 1 to 7 of 7

    Thread: Holding Blinds

    1. #1
      Best Friend Retriever
      Anna Scott's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2014
      Location
      Canada
      Posts
      543
      Thanked: 213

      Holding Blinds

      Not sure what others do about training with holding blinds but we never train without setting one or two up. I guess the drill is to desensitize the dog to the holding blind which blocks the view of the noise and activity that is going on around them at a trial or test. I start in the front yard. The holding blind is set up and M is walked in behind it and given a good sit, nick, sit and then I leave her in the blind and walk away. If she moves out of the blind then the process of walk into the blind, sit nick, sit is repeated. It does not take long to get a reliable sit in the blind. Once this is proofed the next step is to leave M in the blind, walk away and fire the gun. Again if she leaves the blind the sit, nick, sit correction is given.
      M is now stable in the blind with gun fire so we move on to fire the gun and throw birds (bumpers) all around the blind, from in front to hit the blind, over the top so they land behind the dog, to both sides of the blind to land where she can see them. M is not allowed to move out of the blind while all this is going on, if she does then the correction is given. Once this is stable the next step is to set up two blinds and have a working dog. M stays in her blind while another dog works, usually a short double. Again she must not leave the blind while this is happening.
      Another thing we do to make sure the dog understands she must stay in the blind until you give the command to leave is we put two dogs in the same blind, the dog may not leave the blind until she hears her name called. Again correction for not obeying the stay in the blind rule.

      Not sure if this kind of training would help RD but she is much like M and Elle in drive so making the holding blind a place to sit and stay rather than an obstacle blocking her view might desensitize her.

    2. #2
      House Broken
      EvanG's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      United States
      Posts
      57
      Thanked: 8
      Well done Anna. That's what more trainers should do!

      EvanG

    3. The Following User Says Thank You to EvanG For This Useful Post:

      IRISHWISTLER (12-20-2018)

    4. #3
      Senior Dog
      IRISHWISTLER's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2014
      Location
      CT
      Posts
      2,043
      Thanked: 2652
      Quote Originally Posted by EvanG View Post
      Well done Anna. That's what more trainers should do!

      EvanG
      Evan,
      Always great to see ye weighing in here, your training knowledge has been an incredible resource for retriever trainers all over the globe, myself amongst them.👍

      Cheers Mate,
      Mike 🍀🇮🇪🇺🇸
      TEAM TRAD PRO STAFF
      DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY

      Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, Adrea Coor, and Nuala Kennedy, each an Irish whistle goddess in her own right.

    5. #4
      Senior Dog
      TuMicks's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2015
      Location
      United States
      Posts
      2,279
      Thanked: 1019
      Quote Originally Posted by Anna Scott View Post
      Not sure what others do about training with holding blinds but we never train without setting one or two up. I guess the drill is to desensitize the dog to the holding blind which blocks the view of the noise and activity that is going on around them at a trial or test. I start in the front yard. The holding blind is set up and M is walked in behind it and given a good sit, nick, sit and then I leave her in the blind and walk away. If she moves out of the blind then the process of walk into the blind, sit nick, sit is repeated. It does not take long to get a reliable sit in the blind. Once this is proofed the next step is to leave M in the blind, walk away and fire the gun. Again if she leaves the blind the sit, nick, sit correction is given.
      M is now stable in the blind with gun fire so we move on to fire the gun and throw birds (bumpers) all around the blind, from in front to hit the blind, over the top so they land behind the dog, to both sides of the blind to land where she can see them. M is not allowed to move out of the blind while all this is going on, if she does then the correction is given. Once this is stable the next step is to set up two blinds and have a working dog. M stays in her blind while another dog works, usually a short double. Again she must not leave the blind while this is happening.
      Another thing we do to make sure the dog understands she must stay in the blind until you give the command to leave is we put two dogs in the same blind, the dog may not leave the blind until she hears her name called. Again correction for not obeying the stay in the blind rule.

      Not sure if this kind of training would help RD but she is much like M and Elle in drive so making the holding blind a place to sit and stay rather than an obstacle blocking her view might desensitize her.
      It would absolutely help RD. My 2 holding blinds are stashed in my truck... getting out of bed has been tough, so getting blinds out of the truck and walking them to the backyard...

      BUT, I'm doing GREAT! Finished radiation. Jumped on a plane, flew to see my mom... then to GA to see my sister and brother, then drove to Phoenix (750 miles) to spend Christmas with the grandkids. I'll be home for most of the month in January then we're going to TX to start training in (hopefully) warmer weather. But I really like the holding blind drill and need to work on that as much as I can.

    6. The Following User Says Thank You to TuMicks For This Useful Post:

      IRISHWISTLER (12-27-2018)

    7. #5
      Best Friend Retriever
      Anna Scott's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2014
      Location
      Canada
      Posts
      543
      Thanked: 213
      I don't wonder getting out of bed was tough. If I had done all you have done in the last while I would be exhausted. Glad to hear you are through the radiation. Now take the time for yourself and you will be as good as gold soon. Good luck with the holding blind drill.
      It is cold here and the snow is starting to come. Elle is doing her fitness course and I hope to start advanced obedience with her in January. Either that or she can join the circus with her balancing act.
      Happy New Year.

    8. The Following User Says Thank You to Anna Scott For This Useful Post:

      barry581 (12-28-2018)

    9. #6
      Senior Dog
      IRISHWISTLER's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2014
      Location
      CT
      Posts
      2,043
      Thanked: 2652
      Quote Originally Posted by TuMicks View Post
      It would absolutely help RD. My 2 holding blinds are stashed in my truck... getting out of bed has been tough, so getting blinds out of the truck and walking them to the backyard...

      BUT, I'm doing GREAT! Finished radiation. Jumped on a plane, flew to see my mom... then to GA to see my sister and brother, then drove to Phoenix (750 miles) to spend Christmas with the grandkids. I'll be home for most of the month in January then we're going to TX to start training in (hopefully) warmer weather. But I really like the holding blind drill and need to work on that as much as I can.
      J,
      So grand to hear ye to be doing well. Ye have been through the ringer and will soon be all the more strong for having done so. God bless ye Lass.

      Slainte',
      Mikey 🍀🇮🇪🇺🇸

    10. #7
      Moderator
      barry581's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Dover
      Posts
      6,053
      Thanked: 5559
      Quote Originally Posted by TuMicks View Post
      It would absolutely help RD. My 2 holding blinds are stashed in my truck... getting out of bed has been tough, so getting blinds out of the truck and walking them to the backyard...

      BUT, I'm doing GREAT! Finished radiation. Jumped on a plane, flew to see my mom... then to GA to see my sister and brother, then drove to Phoenix (750 miles) to spend Christmas with the grandkids. I'll be home for most of the month in January then we're going to TX to start training in (hopefully) warmer weather. But I really like the holding blind drill and need to work on that as much as I can.
      Nice to see you back! Hope all continues to go well and have fun on your trip!

    Quick Reply Quick Reply

     



    Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
    Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •