• Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Drunk
  • Geeky
  • Grumpy
  • Happy
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Tired
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Results 1 to 10 of 20
    1. #1
      Real Retriever
      Alix B's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2014
      Location
      Vancouver B.C.
      Posts
      293
      Thanked: 176

      exactly how do I do this - beginner

      I was told when my dog brings be back the bumper I should put out my left arm, take the bumper from her then say heel then sit. Or do say heel, then sit then once she has sat she gives me the bumper?
      I'm trying to figure out what she was taught as I got her as a 6+1/2 year old.
      Sometimes she just drops it at my feet. Do I leave it & say fetch it up & have her put it in my hand.

    2. #2
      House Broken
      teej89's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2015
      Location
      United States
      Posts
      181
      Thanked: 50
      Always have the dog pick it up, whether they drop it or transitioning from them to your hand it gets dropped you have them pick it up. As for order of operations I have my dog heel then I take the bird. He's still a pup so he as a lot of juice in him, so to keep him from breaking on the next bird I'll have him hold the duck in his mouth while the next winger goes off, then I'll take the bird out and send him.

      What do you plan on doing with the dog? Running her in HT?

    3. #3
      Puppy
      michael m's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2014
      Location
      Clarence NY
      Posts
      37
      Thanked: 7
      To help prevent her dropping it at your feet, start to back up away from the dog as it gets close to you with the bumper. This makes the dog keep moving towards you and you can take the bumper before she drops it. Reward her for the return to hand. You can even put a treat in your hand and "switch" it for the bumper when the dog delivers to hand. If she does not deliver to hand, no treat is given. Dog will quickly learn to make sure to get to your hand.

      Agree with above advice that you have the dog pick up any dropped bumpers for delivery to hand. Good luck.
      Michael M.Hidden Content

    4. #4
      Real Retriever
      Alix B's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2014
      Location
      Vancouver B.C.
      Posts
      293
      Thanked: 176
      Quote Originally Posted by teej89 View Post
      Always have the dog pick it up, whether they drop it or transitioning from them to your hand it gets dropped you have them pick it up. As for order of operations I have my dog heel then I take the bird. He's still a pup so he as a lot of juice in him, so to keep him from breaking on the next bird I'll have him hold the duck in his mouth while the next winger goes off, then I'll take the bird out and send him.

      What do you plan on doing with the dog? Running her in HT?
      Maybe: right now I am doing obedience with her. I have only had her 7 months & there have been a lot of changes as she came from a breeder out in the country & I live in the city. she was very high strung & nervous when i got her but is getting better at everything, slowly.
      she has a Junior title already but I Would like to do something with her for fun. I did one day in field trials. It was great.

    5. #5
      Real Retriever
      Alix B's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2014
      Location
      Vancouver B.C.
      Posts
      293
      Thanked: 176
      Quote Originally Posted by michael m View Post
      To help prevent her dropping it at your feet, start to back up away from the dog as it gets close to you with the bumper. This makes the dog keep moving towards you and you can take the bumper before she drops it. Reward her for the return to hand. You can even put a treat in your hand and "switch" it for the bumper when the dog delivers to hand. If she does not deliver to hand, no treat is given. Dog will quickly learn to make sure to get to your hand.

      Agree with above advice that you have the dog pick up any dropped bumpers for delivery to hand. Good luck.
      Thank you. someone told me that is she drops it at my feet she is being disrespectful.

    6. #6
      Senior Dog
      Labradorks's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2014
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      3,368
      Thanked: 1900
      Quote Originally Posted by Alix B View Post
      Thank you. someone told me that is she drops it at my feet she is being disrespectful.
      Dogs don't know how to be disrespectful. They do what they are taught. So, if she drops it at your feet, she just doesn't know the rule.

      You can still get a WC or a JH on her. Just because she has one already, does not preclude you from doing it again. You get ribbons, certficates, etc. just like the first go round, you just don't get a second title from the AKC.

    7. #7
      Senior Dog
      TuMicks's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2015
      Location
      United States
      Posts
      2,045
      Thanked: 820
      Ideally, the polished retrieve would be the dog that returns to heel (without a word from you) sits at your side, turns her head slightly (with the dummy/bird)* toward your hand, waits until your fingers are on it and then lets it go... all without a word from you.

      But as Labradorks has pointed out elsewhere, you're talking about a long, long string of learned responses.

      Where is she in her obedience? What kind of recall does she do? Is it automatically to heel position or a front finish? What happens when you tell her to fetch it up (after dropping it)? Does she pick it up off the ground? Does she know "hold"?

      It would help you to know what what you are to do if you knew what she knew to do (if that makes sense.)

      *I put the asterix there because a dog that is coming in hot and wants the next bird in a multiple mark situation will be eye-balling where they saw the second bird go down, and not looking for your hand. But they will wait for you to take it out of their mouth (in fact, they will probably spit it out as soon as your fingers are in their peripheral vision) and then wait (barely) to be sent.

    8. #8
      Puppy
      michael m's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2014
      Location
      Clarence NY
      Posts
      37
      Thanked: 7
      Quote Originally Posted by TuMicks View Post
      Ideally, the polished retrieve would be the dog that returns to heel (without a word from you) sits at your side, turns her head slightly (with the dummy/bird)* toward your hand, waits until your fingers are on it and then lets it go... all without a word from you.

      As a hunter, I want my dogs to bring the bird straight in to me so that I can manage the bird, especially if it is live. This is very important with large Canada Geese. I don't bother with return to heel as my priority is to take any bird the dog retrieves, finish it if necessary and put it in my vest. If you watch the bird dog challenge videos, you will see all of the dogs deliver to hand in front of the hunter. 1 minute video below.

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ixh1WlMlQQo

    9. #9
      House Broken
      teej89's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2015
      Location
      United States
      Posts
      181
      Thanked: 50
      Quote Originally Posted by michael m View Post
      As a hunter, I want my dogs to bring the bird straight in to me so that I can manage the bird, especially if it is live. This is very important with large Canada Geese. I don't bother with return to heel as my priority is to take any bird the dog retrieves, finish it if necessary and put it in my vest. If you watch the bird dog challenge videos, you will see all of the dogs deliver to hand in front of the hunter. 1 minute video below.

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ixh1WlMlQQo

      I agree with you for hunting situations definitely but if she's looking to run HT then TU Micks is laying out the ideal return of the bumper.

    10. #10
      House Broken
      teej89's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2015
      Location
      United States
      Posts
      181
      Thanked: 50
      Quote Originally Posted by Alix B View Post
      I did one day in field trials. It was great.
      You did a field trial? or you watched a field trial?

    11. The Following User Says Thank You to teej89 For This Useful Post:

      windycanyon (11-20-2015)

    Quick Reply Quick Reply

     



    Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
    Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •