• Innocent
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Tired
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is this a Lab?

Puppy
      Thank you all for the comments. I brought the little guy home on Saturday, I've had him on deposit since November. After sharing with a professor of mine who is into labs, she was adamant that the mother (pictured) was not a lab. This started a debate and I came to this forum seeking the opinion of fellow Lab enthusiasts.

I can see two sides to the debate (each with their own pros and cons), with having a background in genetics but not with the inheritance pattern of Lab coat color. Some resources I have found say that the dilution gene is on the same chromosome but acts as a "switch" to turn off the expression of the coat color gene either completely (silver), or partially (charcoal). Regardless of how the gene got there, it is obvious that the genetic alteration would have some affect on expression of surrounding genes.

I'm not certain, but I would imagine that this genetic alteration would have some affect on the proteins coded on adjacent genes. Depending on the length of the genetic alteration, this may have minimal effect due to the Wobble Effect or may cause devastating effects (missing or voided proteins).

If the gene is inherent to the breed, I consider myself fortunate to have a “purebred;” however, if this gene was added to the breed and not in place already, the resulting dog would theoretically be more "Fit" due to genetic diversity. Regardless, I am in love with the little fella. And to answer your question regarding his name, yes he is named after the chainsaw company, hoping he won’t eat up the furniture!

Senior Dog
      Cool

however, if this gene was added to the breed and not in place already, the resulting dog would theoretically be more "Fit" due to genetic diversity.
      Unfortunately, that is not the case. Dilutes have a plethora of genetic problems due to irresponsible breeding.

Senior Dog
      Regardless of the above comments...we do welcome you and Stihl to the board. (clever name)

We've had silver owners here before...usually because of skin problems. (think all of those posts were before the board crashed a couple of years ago and lost all of the posts)

Chief Pooper Scooper
      Enjoy the pup for what it is, a dog....a companion.

But make no mistake, the gene is NOT inherent to the breed. And the myth of hybrid vigor is just that...a Myth....you'll run the risk of getting the problems labs get and the problems weims get. Just be on the look-out for coat issues since alopecia is a very common ailment in these dogs.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JenC For This Useful Post:

Annette47 (03-07-2016), Maxx&Emma (03-08-2016)

Senior Dog
      We look forward to seeing pictures of Stihl. There aren't many things cuter than a puppy.

Senior Dog
      Quote Originally Posted by JenC View Post
      Enjoy the pup for what it is, a dog....a companion.

But make no mistake, the gene is NOT inherent to the breed. And the myth of hybrid vigor is just that...a Myth....you'll run the risk of getting the problems labs get and the problems weims get. Just be on the look-out for coat issues since alopecia is a very common ailment in these dogs.
      Yes, for some reason the gene that codes for dilution seems to travel with genes that code for alopecia. I have a friend with blue dobermans (same color as a silver Lab) and all of hers have had skin problems and balding on their flanks.

Hopefully your little guy will be lucky and have minimal issues.

House Broken
      As someone who is also a professor, I agree with your professor that the dog pictured in the OP is not a lab. However, your understanding of the dilute allele is flawed. It disrupts transport of melanosomes due to a mutation in the MLPH gene. "silver" and "charcoal" are not caused by complete or partial expression of this allele but are epistatic effects based on the genotype at the B locus. Furthermore, the allele was introduced in to the population enough generations ago that linkage to the founder dogs' neighboring loci is no longer apparent.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sam I Am For This Useful Post:

Berna (03-07-2016), Maxx&Emma (03-08-2016), Stihl'sDad (03-07-2016), TuMicks (03-07-2016)

Senior Dog
      Welcome to the board and congrats on your new family member!

Regarding genetic diversity, I'm assuming you mean that "mixes" don't have the same issue as purebreds? If that is the case, it has been proven untrue. I actually just had someone sent me an article about it for the newsletter I write for the Lab club and can copy and paste it here when I have my other computer.

I have yet to meet a silver Lab without issues -- both in health and temperament -- due to poor breeding practices since silver breeders are prone to be unethical and irresponsible. I hope this is not the case with your guy.

Senior Dog
      Quote Originally Posted by barry581 View Post
      Run while you can.
      Bwaahhhhhaha! Yes, this.

Senior Dog
      How do you pronounce Stihl? I thought it was "stihl waters run deep", that's how the OH calls his chainsaw. But I found a place on the internet about the company that says it is said as "steal". LOL, when he steals your TV remote and his sharp little puppy teeth saw it into shreds both will be correct.

Yes, photo please.

P.S. try to put stuff like the TV remote out of reach, could be serious if he swallows part of it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
    Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos