• Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Tired
      Puppy

Puppy Eating Concern

Our new pup well 7 months old now has not been eating much the last few days. She is not a Lab and we have only had Labs before and they always ate like it was their last meal from the time they were puppies . My question is should I be concerned that she is not eating very much? She seems fine other wise and still wants her treats and all that. I think sometimes she forgets to eat which coming from only Lab owners before is unheard as you all know. Our Lab looks at her like she is crazy when she leaves food in her bowl and walks away. I know you guys are always great with information and advice and I know a lot on here own dogs or have own dogs other than Labs, so I thought I would ask here first before calling the vet to ask and them thinking I am asking a stupid question.

Senior Dog
      Any kind of change from the pup's norm warrants investigation. However, as you say she is still eating treats, me, I would cut them out all together. See if that restores her appetite. Also, by any chance, is it a new bag of food? Even if it's the same food as always but a new bag there could be something wrong, or changed, in the food. Sometimes manufacturers make changes and don't say so on the bag. Another idea, maybe her growth is slowing and she needs less food now? For my Labs that happened at a later age (well they didn't stop eating, LOL, they gained weight) maybe your girl or her breed in general slows down sooner?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

Stephveda (05-03-2018)

Senior Dog
      how long have you had the dog? what breed? When did the behaviour change?

Puppy
      Quote Originally Posted by Snowshoe View Post
      Any kind of change from the pup's norm warrants investigation. However, as you say she is still eating treats, me, I would cut them out all together. See if that restores her appetite. Also, by any chance, is it a new bag of food? Even if it's the same food as always but a new bag there could be something wrong, or changed, in the food. Sometimes manufacturers make changes and don't say so on the bag. Another idea, maybe her growth is slowing and she needs less food now? For my Labs that happened at a later age (well they didn't stop eating, LOL, they gained weight) maybe your girl or her breed in general slows down sooner?
      The only changes that I can think of is the weather finally got really warm here and we had a friend stay the night Tuesday (first time a guest has stayed the night since we got her). I was thinking that too about her growth she usually eats about 1 1/2 cups to 2 cups a day. But the last few days she is barely eating a cup.

Puppy
      Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
      how long have you had the dog? what breed? When did the behaviour change?
      We have had her since she was a little over 8 weeks and she is a Shar-pei/Pug mix. I would say around 3 or 4 days ago.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
    Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos