• Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Drunk
  • Geeky
  • Grumpy
  • Happy
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Tired
  • Results 1 to 9 of 9
    1. #1
      House Broken
      Happy
       
      bmathers's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2017
      Location
      Boston
      Posts
      181
      Thanked: 119

      parvo / distemper vaccines

      I am confused about required puppy vaccines. My breeder gave Diggity his first parvo / distemper vaccine at 6 weeks. My vet gave him a second one at 11 weeks, then a third one at 15 weeks. They are now saying he needs a fourth one because his first one was when he was so young. Anyone else have to do four vaccines?
      Last edited by bmathers; 10-12-2018 at 05:21 PM.

    2. #2
      Senior Dog
      ZoeysMommy's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Las Vegas
      Posts
      1,296
      Thanked: 699
      It always been my understanding that if the first shots were given before 8 weeks then 4 sets are needed

    3. The Following User Says Thank You to ZoeysMommy For This Useful Post:

      bmathers (10-12-2018)

    4. #3
      House Broken
      Happy
       
      bmathers's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2017
      Location
      Boston
      Posts
      181
      Thanked: 119
      Quote Originally Posted by ZoeysMommy View Post
      It always been my understanding that if the first shots were given before 8 weeks then 4 sets are needed
      Ok thanks for the confirmation!


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    5. #4
      Chief Pooper Scooper
      JenC's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Colorado
      Posts
      2,441
      Thanked: 2450
      Quote Originally Posted by ZoeysMommy View Post
      It always been my understanding that if the first shots were given before 8 weeks then 4 sets are needed
      That is correct. Giving shots at 6 week is the old way of thinking. They are finding that few, better timed shots are healthier for the dog and may even last for almost the lifetime of the dog.

      I find that if they get them at 6 weeks, the vets pretend it never happened. 7 weeks and later, the vet usually works with it.

    6. The Following User Says Thank You to JenC For This Useful Post:

      bmathers (10-12-2018)

    7. #5
      House Broken
      Happy
       
      bmathers's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2017
      Location
      Boston
      Posts
      181
      Thanked: 119
      Quote Originally Posted by JenC View Post
      That is correct. Giving shots at 6 week is the old way of thinking. They are finding that few, better timed shots are healthier for the dog and may even last for almost the lifetime of the dog.

      I find that if they get them at 6 weeks, the vets pretend it never happened. 7 weeks and later, the vet usually works with it.
      Its frustrating. Im a believer in vaccines, but not over vaccinating. Thats why Ive always done titers.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    8. #6
      Senior Dog
      windycanyon's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2014
      Location
      C. WA
      Posts
      1,483
      Thanked: 1099
      Do you know the brand used? Mine (Nobivac DHPPv) has been tested 100% protective at 12 weeks. I usually give mine the last combo at ~14-15 wks and have been fine (and I live in a rather high parvo area). However, I start w Neopar (high titer, parvo only) at 5 wks w/ my litters. Most in my area use it and ever since we have, we've not had parvo.
      Hidden Content
      The WindyCanyon Girls, Summer 2018
      IntCH WindyCanyon's Northern Spy CDX RA JH OA OAJ CC (13.5 yrs)
      IntCh WindyCanyon's Ruby Pink BN CD RA CC (3.5 yrs)
      IntCH WindyCanyon's Kanzi BN CDX RE JH (4 yrs)
      WindyCanyon ItsOnlyMoneyHoneycrisp (4mos)
      WindyCanyon's Pippin RN (18 mos)
      IntCH WindyCanyon's Envy CDX RE JH CC 9.5 yrs)
      IntCH HIT WindyCanyon's Kiku A Fuji Too CDX RE JH CC (9 yrs)







    9. #7
      Senior Dog
      Shelley's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      United States
      Posts
      1,124
      Thanked: 1603
      Since I had a few good breeder friends break through with Parvo in a 6 or 7 month old fully vaccinated puppy.... I have been doing 8 weeks, 12 weeks, and 16 + weeks. There is a lot of literature that supports the last vaccination at or after 16 weeks, sometimes I wait until they are around 18-20 weeks old, and jab them then.

      My puppy Monday is 18 weeks old today, and I was going to vaccinate her this week, but another of my gurls needed a Rabies vaccine for her dog license last week, so I took Money in for hers the same day since the vet has to give it. So I delayed her last Parvo/combo vaccination until she is 20 weeks old, since I don't want to vaccinate her too close to her Rabies. I usually wait as late as I can for Rabies too, like 6 or 7 or even 8 months, but Monday has a show soon for the 4-6 classes, she needed to be done for the show.

    10. #8
      House Broken
      Happy
       
      bmathers's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2017
      Location
      Boston
      Posts
      181
      Thanked: 119
      Quote Originally Posted by windycanyon View Post
      Do you know the brand used? Mine (Nobivac DHPPv) has been tested 100% protective at 12 weeks. I usually give mine the last combo at ~14-15 wks and have been fine (and I live in a rather high parvo area). However, I start w Neopar (high titer, parvo only) at 5 wks w/ my litters. Most in my area use it and ever since we have, we've not had parvo.
      I only have a copy of the one the breeder gave at 6 weeks, which says Boehringer Ingelheim Vetmedica. Not sure if that is the brand or the company though. I am sure I can find out what my vet used on Monday when they re-open.

      Since his third one was at 15 weeks, do you think one week will make a difference? If it had been at 16 weeks, I am pretty sure they would have said he was all set.

      Or, is there a way I can do a titer test on him in a few months to see if he need another booster?

      Or, am I being overly picky / paranoid? :-)

    11. #9
      House Broken
      Happy
       
      bmathers's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2017
      Location
      Boston
      Posts
      181
      Thanked: 119
      Quote Originally Posted by Shelley View Post
      Since I had a few good breeder friends break through with Parvo in a 6 or 7 month old fully vaccinated puppy.... I have been doing 8 weeks, 12 weeks, and 16 + weeks. There is a lot of literature that supports the last vaccination at or after 16 weeks, sometimes I wait until they are around 18-20 weeks old, and jab them then.

      My puppy Monday is 18 weeks old today, and I was going to vaccinate her this week, but another of my gurls needed a Rabies vaccine for her dog license last week, so I took Money in for hers the same day since the vet has to give it. So I delayed her last Parvo/combo vaccination until she is 20 weeks old, since I don't want to vaccinate her too close to her Rabies. I usually wait as late as I can for Rabies too, like 6 or 7 or even 8 months, but Monday has a show soon for the 4-6 classes, she needed to be done for the show.
      I am planning to wait until he is 6 months to do rabies.

      Now I am debating about lyme. It is horrible out here where I live, but I have heard controversial things about the lyme vaccine not being very effective, sort of like the kennel cough vaccine.

    Quick Reply Quick Reply

     



    Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
    Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •