• Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Drunk
  • Geeky
  • Grumpy
  • Happy
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Tired
  • Results 1 to 8 of 8
    1. #1
      House Broken
      TooLabs's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Ohio
      Posts
      60
      Thanked: 27

      Grape Fright and Treatment

      Spent the weekend at 24 hour emergency vet clinic/hospital with Murphey ( 9.5 months/71 lbs) who got in to trash and inhaled about 2 lbs of grapes! I got him to vomit with peroxide and it appeared he expelled most of what he would have consumed intact (thankful for a dog who inhales and does not chew food!!) Anyway I took him at 10 pm and they kept him overnight for 24 hours running blood screens, gave him iv fluids, toxiban and activated charcoal. Of course after talking with them I have been a nervous wreck! Years and years ago before I even knew about grape toxicity I used to feed them to my current 10 yr old lab when she was a pup! she loved them and gobbled them up! it was only after doing that for awhile that I learned how bad they were and stopped giving them to her.. she was and is fine at the ripe old age of 10! So now I am supposed to take him in for follow up labs and such.. I am nervous and of course he has never even acted sick this entire time.. eating, drinking, very active peeing and pooping normally. Has anyone had experience with this or anyway to calm me down!>\!?!?!?!

    2. #2
      Senior Dog
      Labradorks's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2014
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      3,826
      Thanked: 2311
      I used to feed all my dogs grapes, too. Frozen grapes used to be the recommended hot weather treat. None of my dogs ever experienced any issues.

      If he vomited most everything up, I am sure your vet is just being cautious. I would not worry too much. The difference in what you fed your dog (and mine) and your pup is that your pup got into two lbs not just a grape or two.

      Also, I would either get a dog-proof garbage can or put the garbage can in another room where he can't get to it. He learned there's good stuff in there, so it'll be really hard to get him to stay out of it now.

    3. #3
      Senior Dog
      Happy
       
      POPTOP's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Illinois
      Posts
      10,572
      Thanked: 6420
      Me too. Before I knew about grapes, would feed a few to my Dalmatian.

      I would recommend a Simple Human garbage can. The top lip goes over the can itself and kinda suctions shut. It's hard to open even for me without using the step pedal. Archie is always nosing into the recycle can but he cannot get into the garbage can.

    4. #4
      House Broken
      Murphy's Mommy's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      California
      Posts
      179
      Thanked: 48
      The second week after rescuing Murphy (must be something with that name) we too were at the vet's. Murphy ate or rather inhaled a whole loaf of raisin bread when I stepped out for five minutes. We rushed him to the vet where he did the same as your vet. He said his kidneys could have shut down if we waited longer. He stayed there for four hours. He peed constantly for 24 hours and his poop was black for two days due to the charcoal. We did return for a follow up check up and all was fine. The key is finding out almost immediately that grapes or raisins were ingested. I was a wreck too because he's our first dog and I was so worried that he would have long term issues bc of this. I now know that labs can counter surf really deep counters. I'm still paranoid to buy raisin bread to this day. LOL
      Hope your Murphey is doing well.
      Hidden Content

      Murphy at Carmel Beach

      Born 5/1/05
      Found his forever home 1/21/12

    5. #5
      Senior Dog
      Snowshoe's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Canada
      Posts
      6,712
      Thanked: 3876
      Gosh, two pounds is a lot of grapes. If that much was in the trash it must mean they were past edible for humans and had gone mushy? Or mouldy? I hope that doesn't compound the problem but it does sound like you were very quick in reacting. Hope you get a good report on the follow up visit.

      We fed grapes too. Just as treats so never a lot at once. The residents at my Aunt's nursing home used to get a big kick out of seeing a dog eat grapes. Grapes were even recommended as a food in the first edition of Dr. Pitcairn's book on preparing home made dog food.

    6. #6
      Best Friend Retriever
      Snowco Labradors's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Franklin Lakes, NJ
      Posts
      576
      Thanked: 273
      How scary. The vomiting most likely helped and I too think the vet is being cautious about follow up.

    7. #7
      House Broken
      TooLabs's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Ohio
      Posts
      60
      Thanked: 27
      WE go in for follow up blood work tomorrow morning!

    8. #8
      Best Friend Retriever
      Snowco Labradors's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Franklin Lakes, NJ
      Posts
      576
      Thanked: 273
      Prayers all will be ok. please let us know.

    Quick Reply Quick Reply

     



    Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
    Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •