• Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Drunk
  • Geeky
  • Grumpy
  • Happy
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Tired
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Results 1 to 10 of 15
    1. #1
      Senior Dog
      Amused
       
      beth101509's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2014
      Location
      Southeast USA
      Posts
      701
      Thanked: 280

      Post Must Force Out More Piles!!

      Every time I am in the backyard cleaning up Oliver's land mines, he will run around like a maniac and then force out poop in several different piles. You can tell he is straining, it isn't solid ever, and it is super stinky. I'm not sure if he is like "oh my God! She is getting rid of all my piles! I won't know where to poop if she cleans them up, must make more!!" or if he thinks I am waiting for him to poop so he forces some out like, "see mom, I am doing what you want"?

      My husband says he never seen Oliver do that when he cleans up his poop. Very odd.
      “Don't allow your happiness to be interrupted by overly judgmental people. The problem is not you, because even if you do good all the time, they would still find a way to judge you wrongly.”
      Hidden Content

      Hidden Content



      Hidden Content

    2. #2
      Senior Dog
      CraftHer's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Ohio
      Posts
      1,193
      Thanked: 629
      This is funny. There are so many times I wish I knew what Mocha was thinking.

    3. The Following User Says Thank You to CraftHer For This Useful Post:

      beth101509 (02-07-2015)

    4. #3
      Best Friend Retriever
      Sue's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      New England
      Posts
      502
      Thanked: 515
      Quote Originally Posted by beth101509 View Post
      Every time I am in the backyard cleaning up Oliver's land mines, he will run around like a maniac and then force out poop in several different piles. You can tell he is straining, it isn't solid ever, and it is super stinky. I'm not sure if he is like "oh my God! She is getting rid of all my piles! I won't know where to poop if she cleans them up, must make more!!" or if he thinks I am waiting for him to poop so he forces some out like, "see mom, I am doing what you want"?
      I would get him to a vet (or at least the stool sample) and have him checked for giardia. Immediately. When you said never solid and super stinky, those are red flags. Also request the sample be sent out for testing, and not the inhouse SNAP test. The SNAP (quick one) misses cases a lot of times.

      By the way, your dog is not thinking those things. Please don't ascribe to him human type thoughts.

    5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sue For This Useful Post:

      Georgie (02-07-2015), Snowshoe (02-07-2015)

    6. #4
      Senior Dog
      Snowshoe's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Canada
      Posts
      5,712
      Thanked: 3233
      Well I'm positive the cats do that. Two minutes after we clean litter boxes they go and poop in them. We clean them about the same time every day though and I'm sure they wait because they want to use a clean box.

      I don't think dogs do that and it does sound like peculiar behaviour. All my dog like to use a fresh spot and we have a good sized yard that makes it easy for them to do so maybe I'm not in a position to know but I tend to agree with Sue. Maybe your husband just isn't as observant as you and he doesn't see it happening?

    7. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

      beth101509 (02-07-2015)

    8. #5
      Senior Dog
      SunDance's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Ellicott City, MD
      Posts
      3,732
      Thanked: 1934
      Quote Originally Posted by Snowshoe View Post
      Well I'm positive the cats do that. Two minutes after we clean litter boxes they go and poop in them. We clean them about the same time every day though and I'm sure they wait because they want to use a clean box.
      My little Maine Coon would walk right past me to use the box while I was still scooping. I always figured Thea just liked company because I cleaned multiple times a day (on schedule as well as when I noticed someone in a box).

      I've never had a dog seem to notice when I was cleaning.
      Hidden Content

      Sunnie: gotcha day 03/08/09; birth unknown but given 07/01/02

      Danny: The Sundance Kid....Sunnie's boy....birth 03/31/09 (in my living room)

      Barb (ID formerly "Baffle")

    9. The Following User Says Thank You to SunDance For This Useful Post:

      beth101509 (02-07-2015)

    10. #6
      Senior Dog
      Amused
       
      beth101509's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2014
      Location
      Southeast USA
      Posts
      701
      Thanked: 280
      Quote Originally Posted by Sue View Post
      I would get him to a vet (or at least the stool sample) and have him checked for giardia. Immediately. When you said never solid and super stinky, those are red flags. Also request the sample be sent out for testing, and not the inhouse SNAP test. The SNAP (quick one) misses cases a lot of times.

      By the way, your dog is not thinking those things. Please don't ascribe to him human type thoughts.
      It is only when I clean up his poo, not a daily issue.

    11. #7
      Senior Dog
      doubledip1's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Upstate New York
      Posts
      1,943
      Thanked: 1700
      Luna used to poop everything that was in her body every time she was outside when she was a wee pup. She went 5-6 times a day. Now that she is older, she only poops when she needs to.

      I think it's so funny how he only poops it all out for you and not your hubby.
      Hidden Content
      Sarah, human
      Luna, born 6/14/13, gotcha 8/18/13 and TDI certified 5/12/2015
      Comet, born 4/3/15, gotcha 6/9/15
      Double Dip, 25 y/o Draft/Welsh pony
      Gracie, 17 y/o DSH cat
      Hidden Content
      Hidden Content

    12. The Following User Says Thank You to doubledip1 For This Useful Post:

      beth101509 (02-08-2015)

    13. #8
      Best Friend Retriever
      Gibbysmom's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2014
      Location
      Arizona
      Posts
      541
      Thanked: 211
      Hope you get this figured out. Our 4 month old Golden pup likes to eat poop sometimes.....yuck!!! We have never had such a cleaned up poop free yard. We've been cleaning it as soon as it hits the ground......annoying but necessary.

    14. #9
      House Broken
      happy_blackbird's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2014
      Location
      Berkeley, CA
      Posts
      159
      Thanked: 96
      I'm curious, do you and your husband pick up Oliver's poop at different times of the day? Ellie, who is 5.5 months old, has gone through periods of diarrhea which include a lot of straining, and it's always in the second half of the day (morning poops are perfect). Walk, poop, strain, poop, walk, repeat. My understanding is they still have the signal that they need to poop, but there is no material left in their colon, so they start to force out material from higher up in the large intestine that has not yet had all of its fluid absorbed (hence the consistency and odor). It may just be a puppy thing, like doubledip mentioned, or could be giardia (which has a really distinctive, sulfuric odor). It could be a food thing (which has been our experience, as Ellie can not seem to digest legumes). Lab babies really are little poop machines with teeth, aren't they?

    15. #10
      Senior Dog
      Amused
       
      beth101509's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2014
      Location
      Southeast USA
      Posts
      701
      Thanked: 280
      Quote Originally Posted by happy_blackbird View Post
      I'm curious, do you and your husband pick up Oliver's poop at different times of the day? Ellie, who is 5.5 months old, has gone through periods of diarrhea which include a lot of straining, and it's always in the second half of the day (morning poops are perfect). Walk, poop, strain, poop, walk, repeat. My understanding is they still have the signal that they need to poop, but there is no material left in their colon, so they start to force out material from higher up in the large intestine that has not yet had all of its fluid absorbed (hence the consistency and odor). It may just be a puppy thing, like doubledip mentioned, or could be giardia (which has a really distinctive, sulfuric odor). It could be a food thing (which has been our experience, as Ellie can not seem to digest legumes). Lab babies really are little poop machines with teeth, aren't they?
      I generally scoop early afternoon. Can't tell you when my husband does but I would guess late afternoon since that is the only time he is alone with the dog. Oliver didn't do his normal "push more out" behavior when we scooped just recently but my husband was with me at the time. Maybe that was the difference? I usually ask Oliver to find me his poop and I think he thinks I am telling him to poop so he forces it out.

      I didn't know any of the information about the signal to poop. Very interesting and makes a ton of sense. Thanks!

    Quick Reply Quick Reply

     



    Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
    Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •