• Innocent
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Tired
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
      Puppy

Trifexis for puppy?

Sorry in advance if I post this in the wrong section.

I just took my lab to the vet for his second set of shots and my vet gave me a one month sample of Trifexis. I haven't gave it to him yet but I heard a lot of things about Trefixes kill dog. Is it true? Should I givee it him or throw it away?

Senior Dog
      Other people who've done a lot of research on it can probably chime in. I haven't done much research, but my puppy has been on it since he was about 3 months old, he's 6 months now. He's had no problems. Once I finish up the pack I have I might start to do some more research.
      Hidden Content

Bubba's instagram: @thebubbinator

House Broken
      Amused

My vet gave us a sample of trifexis as well when my puppy was 2 month old. We fed her then and she was fine. One month later we fed her another pill but she threw up and we had to purchase another pill to feed her by cracking it to many small pieces to help her. Then I started doing some research and I did see some people mentioned trifexis killed some dogs. I talked to my vet but he thought that was just very rare case and it might be because of other reasons. But he also recommended sentinel to us saying if we really wanted to switch. Since then we started feeding my dog sentinel. It has been 6 months and my dog does fine on it and no throw up again. Comparing trifexis and sentinel, everything is the same except that sentinel cannot kill adult fleas but trifexis can. But sentinel can make adult flea not be able to lay eggs. So we do not need to worry about it.

Maybe you can do some research on sentinel to see if you want to switch to sentinel as well. By the way, sentinel is way cheaper than trifexis.

Senior Dog
      I am not a fan of the this or any flea med a dog has to ingest. They just have not been around long enough to make me comfortable.
      Hidden Content

Tammy
      Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Maxx&Emma For This Useful Post:

Annette47 (09-25-2015), Berna (09-25-2015), Charlotte K. (09-25-2015), SunDance (09-26-2015)

House Broken
      Amused

trifexis and sentinel are mainly for the prevention of heartworm and other worms. I guess dogs have to take in heart worm prevention medicine, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx&Emma View Post
      I am not a fan of the this or any flea med a dog has to ingest. They just have not been around long enough to make me comfortable.

Senior Dog
      Cool

I prefer to use topicals. A med that kills all types of intestinal parasites + HW + ticks + fleas + is ingested is just too much for me. Imagine how many chemicals are contained in just one pill.

Senior Dog
      Quote Originally Posted by Berna View Post
      I prefer to use topicals. A med that kills all types of intestinal parasites + HW + ticks + fleas + is ingested is just too much for me. Imagine how many chemicals are contained in just one pill.
      This kind of how I feel about it. We don’t have a flea problem and it varies with ticks, so they get Heartgard for the HW and intestinal parasites and then if I think I need something for ticks, I’ll use Frontline but that’s not year-round for us. In fact, for some reason Chloe hasn’t been picking up any ticks at all this summer (despite going to all the same places as usual) so we haven’t used it in over a year. As I said, we’ve NEVER seen fleas (knock on wood) but if it was an issue I would go with a topical.
      Annette

Cookie (Jamrah’s Legally Blonde, BN) 6/4/2015
      Sassy (Jamrah’s Blonde Ambition, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC Windsong’s Femme Fatale, UDX2, OM4) 6/7/2009

Remembering:
      Scully (Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, RN) 4/4/1996 - 6/30/2011
      Our foster Jolie (UCh Windsong’s Genuine Risk, CDX, WC) 5/26/1999 - 3/2/2014
      and Mulder (Coventry’s I Want to Believe, UD, VER, WC, RN) 5/26/1999 - 4/20/2015

Hidden Content

Senior Dog
      Quote Originally Posted by Annette47 View Post
      This kind of how I feel about it. We don’t have a flea problem and it varies with ticks, so they get Heartgard for the HW and intestinal parasites and then if I think I need something for ticks, I’ll use Frontline but that’s not year-round for us. In fact, for some reason Chloe hasn’t been picking up any ticks at all this summer (despite going to all the same places as usual) so we haven’t used it in over a year. As I said, we’ve NEVER seen fleas (knock on wood) but if it was an issue I would go with a topical.
      We're the same. I used....I can't even remember the name of it last year. We don't have a flea problem here and ticks aren't always an issue either. Neither of our dogs has gotten a tick this year so neither has been treated with anything. We do treat with Heartgard for HW and parasites as well.

Senior Dog
      We do have a flea problem where I live so unfortunately using a vet prescribed pill is the best course of action :/

Senior Dog
      Quote Originally Posted by greagre View Post
      trifexis and sentinel are mainly for the prevention of heartworm and other worms. I guess dogs have to take in heart worm prevention medicine, right?
      I use Heartgard for heartworms and a topical for fleas and ticks only as needed. A pill that covers all this plus intestinal worms is way too many chemicals for my dogs, no thanks.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
    Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos