• Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Drunk
  • Geeky
  • Grumpy
  • Happy
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Tired
  • Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Results 11 to 20 of 51

    Thread: Kibble vs. Wet

    1. #11
      Real Retriever
      SamsonsMom's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2016
      Location
      NE Ohio
      Posts
      434
      Thanked: 322
      Quote Originally Posted by smartrock View Post
      How much food is he getting per day? I ask because 1/3 to 1/2 cup per meal seems low.
      He is eating 1 can (15 oz) of Wellness puppy per day with the kibble he does get down.. Once I get him off the wet, he will eat the recommended based on his weight. He looks really good right now, not rolly polly and not skinny. He looks very healthy. Vet advised the same. How often and when do you feel the pup can be fed more than the recommended?

    2. #12
      Real Retriever
      SamsonsMom's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2016
      Location
      NE Ohio
      Posts
      434
      Thanked: 322
      Quote Originally Posted by dxboon View Post
      If your puppy has been checked out with a clean bill of health, I personally would not be trying to satisfy his food whims. That's a good way to set yourself up for a dog that is a picky eater. You can mix wet food in with his kibble (so it's well incorporated) and some warm water and if he doesn't eat it in 10-15 minutes I'd take it up. A healthy puppy isn't going to starve himself to death. Sometimes during teething they can also go off their food a little. My puppy is not a good eater on the road and sometimes he is too much of a busy body to eat. I take his food up and he gets a chance to eat (or not) at another meal. It is annoying when he does this, but I don't coddle him because I need him to get with the program and eat when it's meal time.

      Also, you might want to check in with your breeder about how much they are feeding their keeper puppy(ies) and get feedback on how the puppy looks if you can send a photo or video. They might be a good resource for feedback on whether your puppy looks in line with what they would expect from one of their dogs at his age.
      I came home to an empty bowl- not a piece of kibble left. I was happy. She left just dry kibble, not watered down. I took some of the tips above for his dinner. I put 1/2 cup of Kibble in warm water and then mixed in 2 tablespoons of wet. It was a little soupy so I thought for sure he would not eat it the kibble. He ate every single bit.

      Vet gave him a clean bill of health last week at check-up and I have been in touch with the breeder. At 7 weeks, he was 3 lbs behind her keeper pup but there was a very chubby pup that weight 12 lbs at 7 weeks. He was huge! I'll find out his weight this coming Monday and plan to check in again with the breeder. Since he's been eating the wet, his size hasn't concerned me. I was more concerned that I'd never get him off wet or that something may be going wrong. I'll still mention it to the vet so he can give him a good lookover. I have no kids of the human variety so my fur kids are my babies. I get overly concerned at times. I appreciate the feedback. Asher is my 2nd pup as an adult and it's been four years since I got Samson. I'm a little rusty....but certainly not short on love!

    3. #13
      Senior Dog
      dxboon's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2014
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      779
      Thanked: 752
      Quote Originally Posted by SamsonsMom View Post
      I came home to an empty bowl- not a piece of kibble left. I was happy. She left just dry kibble, not watered down. I took some of the tips above for his dinner. I put 1/2 cup of Kibble in warm water and then mixed in 2 tablespoons of wet. It was a little soupy so I thought for sure he would not eat it the kibble. He ate every single bit.

      Vet gave him a clean bill of health last week at check-up and I have been in touch with the breeder. At 7 weeks, he was 3 lbs behind her keeper pup but there was a very chubby pup that weight 12 lbs at 7 weeks. He was huge! I'll find out his weight this coming Monday and plan to check in again with the breeder. Since he's been eating the wet, his size hasn't concerned me. I was more concerned that I'd never get him off wet or that something may be going wrong. I'll still mention it to the vet so he can give him a good lookover. I have no kids of the human variety so my fur kids are my babies. I get overly concerned at times. I appreciate the feedback. Asher is my 2nd pup as an adult and it's been four years since I got Samson. I'm a little rusty....but certainly not short on love!
      Sounds like progress and I'm sure your breeder will help you out. I personally like a young puppy with some extra reserves. Puppies often go off food during teething or get bugs due to their immature immune systems, so I keep my puppies plush. My dogs were all around 20 lbs. at 8 weeks (plus or minus 1 or 2 lbs.).

    4. The Following User Says Thank You to dxboon For This Useful Post:

      SamsonsMom (01-24-2017)

    5. #14
      Senior Dog
      smartrock's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Carolina in my mind..
      Posts
      3,858
      Thanked: 2353
      I just started with the food brand and amount the breeders were feeding when I got them which may not have been what was on the bag. At 9 weeks, Chase was at 3 cups per day and topped out at 4 cups per day, kind of based on how hungry/chunky/skinny he was. Larky was on 2 3/4 cups when I got her at 12 weeks but quickly went up to 3 cups because she acted starving all day long and it improved with a little more food. She never got higher than that. So, I didn't go so much by the recommendations on the food bags but started where the breeders had them and went from there. As puppies, our vet never really commented on how fat or skinny he thought they were. Now, as adults, mine eat much less than the recommendation on their food bags.

    6. The Following User Says Thank You to smartrock For This Useful Post:

      Annette47 (01-24-2017)

    7. #15
      Real Retriever
      SamsonsMom's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2016
      Location
      NE Ohio
      Posts
      434
      Thanked: 322
      Quote Originally Posted by smartrock View Post
      I just started with the food brand and amount the breeders were feeding when I got them which may not have been what was on the bag. At 9 weeks, Chase was at 3 cups per day and topped out at 4 cups per day, kind of based on how hungry/chunky/skinny he was. Larky was on 2 3/4 cups when I got her at 12 weeks but quickly went up to 3 cups because she acted starving all day long and it improved with a little more food. She never got higher than that. So, I didn't go so much by the recommendations on the food bags but started where the breeders had them and went from there. As puppies, our vet never really commented on how fat or skinny he thought they were. Now, as adults, mine eat much less than the recommendation on their food bags.
      I got Asher at 7 weeks and he was 7.5lbs (I checked Samson's papers and he was 12.8 lbs at 8 week). I took him to the vet a day after I got him for his well check. We were discussing Samson (vet asked how he was doing on his leg - had TTA in July). We began talking about his weight and I told the vet he was still at 100 lbs. That sparked the conversation on little Asher and how he looked. I doubt he would have brought it up had I not asked.

      We had success again this morning. I put in a cup of dry w/no wet. Soaked it in water a bit and he gobbled it up. I'll have my pet sitter give him 1/2 cup with a little water and then I'll give him a cup when I get home. I think we are on a forward path!

      Thanks again for all the feedback.

    8. The Following User Says Thank You to SamsonsMom For This Useful Post:

      smartrock (01-24-2017)

    9. #16
      Real Retriever
      silverfz's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2016
      Location
      MASS
      Posts
      442
      Thanked: 124
      If healthy I would refrain from developing a picky eater. I even tell my to stop my kids when they get too picky and we need to make extra meals.

      Once he is hungry he will eat .

      Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

    10. #17
      Best Friend Retriever
      Bernie's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2016
      Location
      Ohio
      Posts
      517
      Thanked: 103
      Quote Originally Posted by SamsonsMom View Post
      My breeder was feeding Asher Taste of the Wild. He is refusing to eat it now. I tried a different flavor and he will not eat it. I have been adding Wellness wet to the kibble (from day one-when he refused the kibble I ran out to get him some wet). He is now just licking all the wet and leaving the kibble. I thought I would try a different kibble so I picked up some Orijen puppy yesterday. I put 1/3 cup kibble down mid day and he ate it up. Thought I had a winner. Come dinner, I put out 1/2 cup of kibble. He wouldn't eat one piece. I waited for about an hour and then put wet on it and he licked all the wet out. I didn't want to force his hand and just not feed him dinner. Oddly enough, when he smells the kitties Evo kibble, he goes nuts and tries to get it. I keep their food on an island and sat him down on it one day and he ran immediately over and tried to eat it. He got a few pieces.

      Any tips on how I can get him back on Kibble? At 7 weeks, he weighed in at 7.5 lbs and the vet said he looked great. He's put on weight since and is filling out more. I just don't want him skipping meals because he refuses to eat kibble.
      How old was this pup when you got him?
      My breeder would not release any before 8 weeks. Just wondering.

    11. #18
      Real Retriever
      SamsonsMom's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2016
      Location
      NE Ohio
      Posts
      434
      Thanked: 322
      Quote Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
      How old was this pup when you got him?
      My breeder would not release any before 8 weeks. Just wondering.
      Asher was 7 weeks. I was unable to get this week off. I did not feel CComfortable bringing tthe llittle guy hhome and leaving him
      . So, she let me ttake him at 7 weeks.

    12. #19
      Best Friend Retriever
      Bernie's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2016
      Location
      Ohio
      Posts
      517
      Thanked: 103
      Quote Originally Posted by SamsonsMom View Post
      Asher was 7 weeks. I was unable to get this week off. I did not feel CComfortable bringing tthe llittle guy hhome and leaving him
      . So, she let me ttake him at 7 weeks.
      o.k..
      Here’s what suppose to happen; pup transitions from mom’s milk to a mush (mashed kibble and warm water) for a week or so, then transitions to a hard kibble before going to his forever home.
      I see where one suggested you talk to your breeder, I agree……I’d ask if they know what they’re doing!
      Hoping this works out for you without pup getting too fussy on food.

    13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bernie For This Useful Post:

      SamsonsMom (01-24-2017)

    14. #20
      Real Retriever
      SamsonsMom's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2016
      Location
      NE Ohio
      Posts
      434
      Thanked: 322
      Quote Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
      o.k..
      Here’s what suppose to happen; pup transitions from mom’s milk to a mush (mashed kibble and warm water) for a week or so, then transitions to a hard kibble before going to his forever home.
      I see where one suggested you talk to your breeder, I agree……I’d ask if they know what they’re doing!
      Hoping this works out for you without pup getting too fussy on food.
      Thanks I bbelieveI hhavehhim on ttrack nnow. I'll have some ppictures this weekend and will post.

    Quick Reply Quick Reply

     



    Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
    Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •