• Secret
  • Shy
  • Tired
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Kibble vs. Wet

Senior Dog
      Quote Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
      o.k..
      Here’s what suppose to happen; pup transitions from mom’s milk to a mush (mashed kibble and warm water) for a week or so, then transitions to a hard kibble before going to his forever home.
      I see where one suggested you talk to your breeder, I agree……I’d ask if they know what they’re doing!
      Hoping this works out for you without pup getting too fussy on food.
      This is overly simplistic. :-)
      Puppies need soaked/softened gruel for at least a few weeks, (not just over a week) that gradually gets less water and soaking time as they grow. They are still getting water over their kibble at 8 weeks when they leave, (a 7 week old would definitely need their food soaked) it just isn't soaked for as long, and families are instructed to pour water over their food too. Most of the time everyone here gets water on their food when I feed them, no matter their age.

Best Friend Retriever
      Quote Originally Posted by Shelley View Post
      This is overly simplistic. :-)
      Puppies need soaked/softened gruel for at least a few weeks, (not just over a week) that gradually gets less water and soaking time as they grow. They are still getting water over their kibble at 8 weeks when they leave, (a 7 week old would definitely need their food soaked) it just isn't soaked for as long, and families are instructed to pour water over their food too. Most of the time everyone here gets water on their food when I feed them, no matter their age.
      Well, that's you. Not everyone though.
      I'm not soaking kibble, don't want the mess and wasted food that doesn't get eaten.

Real Retriever
      Well, that's you. Not everyone though.
      I'm not soaking kibble, don't want the mess and wasted food that doesn't get eaten.
      Yep, he sure slurps up the liquid and leaves the rest. I have had a lot of wasted food over the last week. Making progress with Asher though...just have to warm the water to get the food to absorb the liquid faster. I'm learning! :-)

Best Friend Retriever
      Quote Originally Posted by SamsonsMom View Post
      Yep, he sure slurps up the liquid and leaves the rest. I have had a lot of wasted food over the last week. Making progress with Asher though...just have to warm the water to get the food to absorb the liquid faster. I'm learning! :-)
      Sounds like you're doing great, at that young age making food softer is a good thing.
      The flip side of the coin is; once we use additives- water, can food, or in my case table scraps,
      it can be difficult to get them to eat plain kibble.
      That's for then, now's the time get some weight on him.

Senior Dog
      Quote Originally Posted by Shelley View Post
      Most of the time everyone here gets water on their food when I feed them, no matter their age.
      Here too. Not soaked really once they are older, just wet down with some water added right before serving. And I’m not sure why there would be mess and wasted food with soaked kibble - when my pups were young and had their kibble soaked they still licked up every last bit of it.
      Annette

Cookie (Jamrah’s Legally Blonde, BN) 6/4/2015
      Sassy (Jamrah’s Blonde Ambition, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC Windsong’s Femme Fatale, UDX2, OM4) 6/7/2009

Remembering:
      Scully (Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, RN) 4/4/1996 - 6/30/2011
      Our foster Jolie (UCh Windsong’s Genuine Risk, CDX, WC) 5/26/1999 - 3/2/2014
      and Mulder (Coventry’s I Want to Believe, UD, VER, WC, RN) 5/26/1999 - 4/20/2015

Hidden Content

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Annette47 For This Useful Post:

smartrock (01-25-2017)

Senior Dog
      Quote Originally Posted by Annette47 View Post
      Here too. Not soaked really once they are older, just wet down with some water added right before serving. And I’m not sure why there would be mess and wasted food with soaked kibble - when my pups were young and had their kibble soaked they still licked up every last bit of it.
      Yes, I meant to say, they just get a splash of water over their food right before I serve. I have Labradors, there is never anything left in the bowl LOL

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Shelley For This Useful Post:

dxboon (01-25-2017)

Best Friend Retriever
      Quote Originally Posted by Annette47 View Post
      Here too. Not soaked really once they are older, just wet down with some water added right before serving. And I’m not sure why there would be mess and wasted food with soaked kibble
      Oh that's easy; whatever food they walk away from dries in a lump, then you can scrape it out to the trash, same with can food, any dry kibble that Rocco leaves gets picked up for the next meal.

Senior Dog
      Mine clean their bowls every time, including the water I put on it. Nothing I give them goes in the trash around here.

House Broken
      I too add water to everyone's food, regardless of age. If someone doesn't finish their meal, I've got bigger issues than having to clean a bowl.... I'm probably going to a vet.

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to piccadilly For This Useful Post:

Annette47 (01-25-2017), barry581 (01-25-2017), dxboon (01-25-2017), Georgia (01-30-2017), Jeff (01-26-2017), JenC (01-26-2017), SamsonsMom (01-25-2017)

Senior Dog
      Oh that's easy; whatever food they walk away from dries in a lump, then you can scrape it out to the trash, same with can food, any dry kibble that Rocco leaves gets picked up for the next meal.
      None of mine have EVER walked away from food, LOL. As Nicole says, if that were to happen I’d be calling the vet as it would be a sign of something seriously wrong.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Annette47 For This Useful Post:

dxboon (01-25-2017)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
    Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos