• Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Tired
      Puppy

Pro Plan Question for Friend's Golden

Not a lab question, but a very good friend of mine got a golden retriever puppy at 9 weeks old. The "breeder" fed Purina Puppy Chow, and that's what he's been feeding since he brought her home. The dog is 5 months old now. He'd like to move to a better food. He reports "gooey poops," and I don't think he's overfeeding. This guy isn't a dog-food hobbyist, so he doesn't care about boutique brands. Nor is he a cheapie when it comes to anything. He earns good money and is fine spending whatever on a dog food. I'm not going to recommend raw-feeding to him.

I think moving to Proplan is reasonable. My questions is, which formula exactly should he try? The geniuses in Purina's marketing dept. have devised a cryptic naming convention for their foods -- "Focus" and "Select" and "Savor," etc., which do nothing to describe what they are. I know the Savor line has soy, which most here frown upon. Any suggestions on which one is ideal? This is a regular family pet -- i.e., never likely to do any kind of rigorous exercise, farming, working, or anything. Also, the dog is 5 months old right now, so the puppy/adult-food distinction would also be helpful. I got Yogi at 7 months and never really fed puppy food.

Senior Dog
      I think the ProPlan Sport 26/16 is often recommended. It's an all life stages food so it can be fed to puppies as well as adults. It comes in 26/16, 28/18, and 30/20 (protein/fat) but for a family pet that's not a working or performance dog, the 26/16 is probably fine. I think some of the breeders who feed ProPlan use this, others say they use the 30/20 formula and never use puppy food. Both lab breeders that I got my dogs from said it was OK to switch from puppy to adult food between 4-6 months. Some say once the baby teeth have fallen out and adult teeth come in can be a good time to switch.

How are you and Yogi doing?

Real Retriever
      Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by smartrock View Post
      I think the ProPlan Sport 26/16 is often recommended. It's an all life stages food so it can be fed to puppies as well as adults. It comes in 26/16, 28/18, and 30/20 (protein/fat) but for a family pet that's not a working or performance dog, the 26/16 is probably fine. I think some of the breeders who feed ProPlan use this, others say they use the 30/20 formula and never use puppy food. Both lab breeders that I got my dogs from said it was OK to switch from puppy to adult food between 4-6 months. Some say once the baby teeth have fallen out and adult teeth come in can be a good time to switch.

How are you and Yogi doing?
      Well said. I fed Pro Plan 20/30 for months. They looked great. Now that the dogs and I are not walking as much 26 / 16 works good too.
      -- Ken, owned by:

Max - Black Lab mix gotcha 4/23/2012 Born 12/2011
      Scarlett - Yellow Lab gotcha 4/19/2013 Born 2008? 2007?
      Lizzy - Terrier mix gotcha 6/29/2014 Born 2006?
      Zeus - Papillon mix gotcha 1/30/2015 Born 3/26/2014

Avatar: Ziggy, my kitty who crossed the bridge a few years ago.
      He slept in the sink for years, silly boy.
      Hidden Content

House Broken
      Yep, I'd recommend the sport 26/16.

Puppy
      Thanks, all. Very helpful and straightforward.

Smartrock: Yogi is good! Thanks for asking. We've been loving agility. I also lost a great deal of weight recently and have taken up jogging again (for the first time in at least a decade), so Yogi is loving that too. Almost nothing feels better than off-leash jogging with no one around in an environment like this:

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yogi For This Useful Post:

Charlotte K. (08-29-2014), smartrock (08-25-2014)

Chief Pooper Scooper
      You could also recommend the Selects Turkey and Rice.
      Jen
      Jack, Jed, Tickle and Grizz
      Hidden Content

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JenC For This Useful Post:

Yogi (08-31-2014)

Senior Dog
      We fed the Pro Plan Focus puppy until this last bag and transitioned him to the Sport 30/20 (at 7 months old) since we're a pretty active family and Thor is outside with us a lot running around. Both are a chicken and rice based formula and he transitioned with no distress (normal poops, coat, energy, etc). We spent about a week mixing in a higher percentage of the new food each day until it was 100% changed. He's always done really well on the Pro Plan and we haven't tried anything else.
      Mighty Thor, "So Much Dog", born 1/6/2014

Hidden Content

Real Retriever
      My 4-month-old lab puppy eats Pro Plan Sport 30/20. At 5 months old, your friend's puppy is still growing rapidly, so I'd recommend that one over the 26/16, at least for a few more months.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 3ChocMom For This Useful Post:

Yogi (08-31-2014)

Puppy
      I switched my puppy from Focus chicken and rice to the Sensitive Skin and Stomach. Mostly because she didn't like the Sport 26/16.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
    Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos