• Innocent
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Tired
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
      Puppy

11 week old lab weighs 12 pounds

I know every lab is different, but I feel this is very small. He isn't thin and looks healthy, but isn't just so small! He eats 2.5 cups of food a day. Is there anything I should change?

Senior Dog
      It really depends on genetics. If the pup isn't thin at all, is eating, drinking, pooping, peeing, playing, etc. OK and your vet has given him a clean bill of health, he's probably fine.

That is on the small side, but again, what about the parents?

Mine were both in the 25 lb range by that age, but they are very large boned and hefty, as are their parents.

Senior Dog
      Hello and welcome to you and your pup!

You are correct that every lab is different. Tell us a little more about your puppy. Are you certain he's a purebred lab? Do you know anything about his parents or siblings, like what they weigh? Did you get him from a breeder? If so, the breeder could tell you what's normal for their labs. If not, it's a bit harder to judge. Have you taken him to a vet and what opinion did the vet offer? Can you post a photo? We love puppy photos!
      Hidden Content

Sue

Chase 9/29/2006- 6/30/2017 Always in our hearts
      Lark 12/25/2012

4. The Following User Says Thank You to smartrock For This Useful Post:

Abulafia (12-14-2015)

Senior Dog
      Ditto the questions above, but if he is healthy and happy and isn't skinny and is eating well, it sounds like you are doing everything right. Welcome!
      Hidden Content Hokule'a ("Hoku") / b. 06.08.15

Real Retriever
      Piper was very little like that, as well. The vet checked her out and said she was fine, just small. Now, at a little over 2 she is still small ( 52 lbs last week) but very, very healthy. As much as people comment on the "bigger, bench" labs, people comment on the small labs, too. As long as she is healthy, I don't care. I just tell her she is my poorly bred, pure bred and I couldn't love her more.

Puppy
      Thanks for the replies everyone! I figure he is fine since he eats, plays, sleeps, and does everything really well. He is SUPER hungry at every meal though which worries me if I am feeding him enough. Right now he is on a bland diet of chicken and rice because he had stress colitus and had diarrhea for 3 days straight. We feed him 1 1/4 cup twice a day of that (what the vet recommended), but he scarfs it up like he hasn't eaten for days every single time! We bought him a slow feeder bowl to slow things down but that doesnt seem to lessen his voracious appetite!

Also, here are some pictures of the little bugger!

-20151211_131920-jpg
      -20151207_110911-jpg

Best Friend Retriever
      Happy

You are not feeding him enough food! An 11 week old Lab puppy should be eating no less than 3 cups per day...maybe a little more.

He seems a little thin to me.

What brand of puppy food are you feeding?

Senior Dog
      Feed the pup in front of you. Hopefully the breeder and your vet are helping but please, don't just go by "standards". Do consider probiotics to help him digest better but work w/ your vet.
      Hidden Content
      The WindyCanyon Girls, Fall 2016
      IntCh WindyCanyon's Ruby Pink BN CD RA CC (2.5 yrs)
      IntCH WindyCanyon's Envy CDX RE JH CC (8.5 yrs)
      IntCH WindyCanyon Patent Nfringement CDX RA JH CC (11 yrs)
      IntCH WindyCanyon's Northern Spy CDX RA JH OA OAJ CC (12.5 yrs)
      IntCH WindyCanyon's Kanzi BN CDX RE JH (3 yrs)
      IntCH HIT WindyCanyon's Kiku A Fuji Too CDX RE JH CC (8 yrs)
      IntCH WindyCanyon's SweeTango CD RA JH CC (7 yrs)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to windycanyon For This Useful Post:

Charlotte K. (12-17-2015)

Puppy
      Quote Originally Posted by windycanyon View Post
      Feed the pup in front of you. Hopefully the breeder and your vet are helping but please, don't just go by "standards". Do consider probiotics to help him digest better but work w/ your vet.
      Well, the vet we took him to told us 1-1.5 cups per meal. 3 cups a day tops, which is strange to me because I heard when they go bland, they should eat more than kibble since kibble expands a bit in their stomach. They gave us some probiotics to take alongside his antibiotics, so that's taken care of at least. I guess I'll up his food to maybe 2 cups per meal. The vet said while he is on the bland diet, to feed only twice a day instead of 3 times a day like he was when he was doing kibble!

Thanks for all your input everyone!

Senior Dog
      Quote Originally Posted by blackice5674 View Post
      Well, the vet we took him to told us 1-1.5 cups per meal. 3 cups a day tops, which is strange to me because I heard when they go bland, they should eat more than kibble since kibble expands a bit in their stomach. They gave us some probiotics to take alongside his antibiotics, so that's taken care of at least. I guess I'll up his food to maybe 2 cups per meal. The vet said while he is on the bland diet, to feed only twice a day instead of 3 times a day like he was when he was doing kibble!

Thanks for all your input everyone!
      Most bland diets are lower in calories so that makes no sense to me. Maybe it's time for a 2nd opinion?

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to windycanyon For This Useful Post:

Annette47 (12-15-2015), Charlotte K. (12-17-2015), Maxx&Emma (12-15-2015), Tanya (12-15-2015)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
    Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos