• Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Tired
      House Broken

Stuffing Kongs for puppies

Once the blizzard clears, DH and I will start back to work and DD to school. The dog walker will come midday to give Stella a potty and play break. As we've been training her to get used to her crate we've been giving her a stuffed kong for each stretch of time, using some kibble from her day's rations.

At what point did you start introducing other things into the kong - thinking like peanut butter, banana, apple, or a touch of yogurt to add interest when you freeze it?

Senior Dog
      I never used much peanut butter but a little plain yogurt with apple and banana slices or cottage cheese with sliced carrots and green beans were/are favorites here. (I always freeze them.) I will usually start kongs with any "extras" once I know they do not have to potty immediately after eating. Prior to that I just used a small, yummy treat.
      Hidden Content

Tammy
      Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

Senior Dog
      I have a 16 week old and for now i just mix banana with her puppy food, there has been no tummy upset. I wont use yogurt until shes older, puppies do not need the added calcium. Peanut butter is rich so ill wait on that too.

In the meantime ive started introducing her to different things, shes had bits of apples, pears, chicken, steak, pizza crust, string cheese, eggs, mashed potatoes. When im confident that nothing will cause diarrhea ill start adding more to her kongs

House Broken
      Max is 7.5 months. I usually take a handful of kibble or break up a few of his dog bone treats. I will put that in the Kong, then I take 1 tblsp of peanut butter and basically just plug the hole in the Kong and place it in the freezer. Almost like plastering a hole in a wall. It is a treat he only gets in his crate and it is just a little bit of peanut butter, but takes a while for him to get through it to his treats.

House Broken
      Hi SCLAB, what size Kong do you use? thanks!

House Broken
      I use the large one. Not the super large one

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
    Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos