• Innocent
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Tired

Thread: Misty Method

Puppy

Misty Method

I am curious how many other breeders are using the misty method for early potty training of their pups. Do you advertise that fact to your customers?

Jon Reid
      Sierra Valley Labs

Senior Dog
      You probably won't get a lot of feedback on this subject because there are just a few breeders on this site, as this is primarily a pet forum.

I hadn't heard of the Misty Method, (I had to google it) but I do something very similar with my litters, as soon as they can eliminate on their own, and move purposefully, around 10 days to 2 weeks old. I designate a potty box (start with pee pads and introduce compressed paper cat litter pellets over a few days) as an area to pee and poop in, and the rest, where they eat, drink, sleep and play is kept very clean.

In fact, I wrote a potty box training article for a Facebook Reproduction group that was also published in a magazine a few years ago, my keeper puppies and pet puppies housebreak very quickly when they go home. I do use it as a positive selling point, because it is a lot more work to do it this way, than to put the puppies in a pen filled with shavings and they eliminate wherever/whenever, and are notoriously difficult to housebreak because they didn't learn to differentiate between clean and dirty.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Shelley For This Useful Post:

windycanyon (10-16-2017)

Senior Dog
      Quote Originally Posted by Shelley View Post
      You probably won't get a lot of feedback on this subject because there are just a few breeders on this site, as this is primarily a pet forum.

I hadn't heard of the Misty Method, (I had to google it) but I do something very similar with my litters, as soon as they can eliminate on their own, and move purposefully, around 10 days to 2 weeks old. I designate a potty box (start with pee pads and introduce compressed paper cat litter pellets over a few days) as an area to pee and poop in, and the rest, where they eat, drink, sleep and play is kept very clean.

In fact, I wrote a potty box training article for a Facebook Reproduction group that was also published in a magazine a few years ago, my keeper puppies and pet puppies housebreak very quickly when they go home. I do use it as a positive selling point, because it is a lot more work to do it this way, than to put the puppies in a pen filled with shavings and they eliminate wherever/whenever, and are notoriously difficult to housebreak because they didn't learn to differentiate between clean and dirty.
      This is what we did with our (only) litter. Worked great, although Cookie had a habit of falling asleep in the potty box!
      Annette

Cookie (Jamrah’s Legally Blonde, BN) 6/4/2015
      Sassy (Jamrah’s Blonde Ambition, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC Windsong’s Femme Fatale, UDX2, OM4) 6/7/2009

Remembering:
      Scully (Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, RN) 4/4/1996 - 6/30/2011
      Our foster Jolie (UCh Windsong’s Genuine Risk, CDX, WC) 5/26/1999 - 3/2/2014
      and Mulder (Coventry’s I Want to Believe, UD, VER, WC, RN) 5/26/1999 - 4/20/2015

Hidden Content

Puppy

misty method

Quote Originally Posted by Shelley View Post

That really is the misty method, you just came up with it on your own. That's what we did, we just used newspaper which was really difficult to get until we found out our local newspaper bound up old copies and gave them away. worked great at keeping their main area clean. I hope the new parents were helped in their potty training by the jump start.

Jon Reid
      Sierra Valley Labs

Senior Dog
      I've never heard of it being called the Misty method... I've actually been doing the potty pool thing w/ shavings starting in 2003, but changed to pellets a couple years later. I think it's pretty much the norm now w/ reputable breeders.
      Hidden Content
      The WindyCanyon Girls, Fall 2016
      IntCh WindyCanyon's Ruby Pink BN CD RA CC (2.5 yrs)
      IntCH WindyCanyon's Envy CDX RE JH CC (8.5 yrs)
      IntCH WindyCanyon Patent Nfringement CDX RA JH CC (11 yrs)
      IntCH WindyCanyon's Northern Spy CDX RA JH OA OAJ CC (12.5 yrs)
      IntCH WindyCanyon's Kanzi BN CDX RE JH (3 yrs)
      IntCH HIT WindyCanyon's Kiku A Fuji Too CDX RE JH CC (8 yrs)
      IntCH WindyCanyon's SweeTango CD RA JH CC (7 yrs)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to windycanyon For This Useful Post:

barry581 (10-16-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by windycanyon View Post
      I've never heard of it being called the Misty method... I've actually been doing the potty pool thing w/ shavings starting in 2003, but changed to pellets a couple years later. I think it's pretty much the norm now w/ reputable breeders.

I don't care what you call it, but I can attest to the fact that what Anne did/does work. Brooks never had a poo accident in the house, and he didn't have more than 3 or 4 pee accidents. He no accidents in the crate either. I would say he was fully house trained within a week or so of his arrival. Easiest puppy I've ever housetrained by a good measure.
      Last edited by barry581; 10-16-2017 at 07:41 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to barry581 For This Useful Post:

windycanyon (10-17-2017)

Chief Pooper Scooper
      Never knew it had a name. Lot's of folks use the potty box method. Works great.
      Jen & Tickle!
      Hidden Content

11. The Following User Says Thank You to JenC For This Useful Post:

windycanyon (10-17-2017)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
    Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos