• Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Drunk
  • Geeky
  • Grumpy
  • Happy
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Tired
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Results 11 to 17 of 17

    Thread: Leash Pulling

    1. #11
      Best Friend Retriever
      silverfz's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2016
      Location
      MASS
      Posts
      524
      Thanked: 155
      Also I have taught gigi a few commands
      Slow . Black ice or icey side walk. She will be very slow.
      Wait. A full halt.
      Stop Pulling. It reset for no pulling

      Even then she has pulling fit. I got a harness and let her pull me and my bicycle . Trying to teach her pulling is good on a chest harness. Remapping her brain.

      Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

    2. #12
      House Broken
      jertom's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2015
      Location
      northern ohio
      Posts
      149
      Thanked: 53
      Quote Originally Posted by silverfz View Post

      even then she has pulling fit. I got a harness and let her pull me and my bicycle . Trying to teach her pulling is good on a chest harness. Remapping her brain.

      Sent from my xt1650 using tapatalk
      lol

    3. #13
      Senior Dog
      Snowshoe's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Canada
      Posts
      6,093
      Thanked: 3441
      Quote Originally Posted by silverfz View Post
      Also I have taught gigi a few commands
      Slow . Black ice or icey side walk. She will be very slow.
      Wait. A full halt.
      Stop Pulling. It reset for no pulling

      Even then she has pulling fit. I got a harness and let her pull me and my bicycle . Trying to teach her pulling is good on a chest harness. Remapping her brain.

      Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
      Assigning a command word, and rewarding, for doing something you may not really want them to do IS a way to gain some control over a behaviour. For instance, jumping up for us is HUG; wild crazy running around is ZOOM. Other uses I have heard are for shaking water off and barking. I haven't heard of using it for pulling, maybe you will discover a new training method.

    4. #14
      Best Friend Retriever
      silverfz's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2016
      Location
      MASS
      Posts
      524
      Thanked: 155
      Quote Originally Posted by Snowshoe View Post
      Assigning a command word, and rewarding, for doing something you may not really want them to do IS a way to gain some control over a behaviour. For instance, jumping up for us is HUG; wild crazy running around is ZOOM. Other uses I have heard are for shaking water off and barking. I haven't heard of using it for pulling, maybe you will discover a new training method.
      I read here to wait till she is over 18 months to forced running. My kids want to take here bike riding. Also when camping this will be great to tell my kids take gigi for a run .
      So she pulls me for a Mile and a half before she calms down and starts to trot next to me letting me ride for a couple miles . She gets so excited when I put the harness. My wife thinks it is funny to watch a 6 foot 2 man on a bike holding on to leash on his bicycle yelling slow for a mile.


      Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

    5. #15
      Puppy
      Grumpy
       
      MysticFallout's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2018
      Location
      Iowa
      Posts
      14
      Thanked: 1
      Doesn't "pinch" collars hurt them? I got a halter to help with pulling, it helped some but not nearly as much as I'd like. I got a static collar not a shock collar (I wasn't misinformed was I? I've never liked the idea of shock collars) to help with some of the things that aversive free training is NOT working for (I still give treats when he listens), it helps great until sometimes when it comes off lol.

      But back to the pinch collars. So many have told me it hurts them and can actually dissuade some dogs from even wanting to go for walks and can hurt their throats worse then pulling on traditional collars.

      Any info really appreciated cause his big ass is starting to hurt my shoulders when he bolts for leaves or decides I'm not moving fast enough.

    6. #16
      Senior Dog
      Labradorks's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2014
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      3,505
      Thanked: 1993
      Quote Originally Posted by MysticFallout View Post
      Doesn't "pinch" collars hurt them? I got a halter to help with pulling, it helped some but not nearly as much as I'd like. I got a static collar not a shock collar (I wasn't misinformed was I? I've never liked the idea of shock collars) to help with some of the things that aversive free training is NOT working for (I still give treats when he listens), it helps great until sometimes when it comes off lol.

      But back to the pinch collars. So many have told me it hurts them and can actually dissuade some dogs from even wanting to go for walks and can hurt their throats worse then pulling on traditional collars.

      Any info really appreciated cause his big ass is starting to hurt my shoulders when he bolts for leaves or decides I'm not moving fast enough.
      Every dog is different, so there is no one right answer here. While some dogs on prongs seem fine or are fine, there are also dogs that worry or stress or move like they are unsure or fearful, which some people think of as obedience. Either way, it sounds like you should work with a trainer, and certainly before using an e-collar or other potentially harmful collar or training method.

    7. #17
      Senior Dog
      Tanya's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Eastern Ontario Canada
      Posts
      3,043
      Thanked: 1815
      regardless of the collar you use, you need to train. Collars and harnesses give you better control of the dog so they don't pull and hurt your shoulder - but none tell the dog WHAT you want. so I agree with labradorks about finding a trainer that will help you train your dog VS rely on a collar alone.

    Quick Reply Quick Reply

     



    Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
    Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •