• Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Tired
      Senior Dog

Puppy Biting Crate

Bubba's preferred chow toy (aside from humans and furniture and everything else...), is his crate. He constantly gnaws on the door whether he's inside or out. Is this something I should try to correct or be worried about? I keep him tethered to me at my desk during the day, but his crate is also right next to my desk so it is difficult to constantly be redirecting to other toys. Thanks for the help!

Real Retriever
      I would do your best at redirecting that behavior. My sister has a dog that has broken multiple teeth due to biting at the crate wires. Hopefully this is just an 'I'm a puppy and I have to put my mouth on everything it passes' type of situation. Theo (at 9 months) still does some of that mouthing on anything that he passes, but it has gotten much less frequent over time. Maybe you could put a yummy Kong on each side of the crate to distract him from the door. I've never had a real need to use Bitter Apple Spray or something of the like, but maybe that would help as well.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Laura For This Useful Post:

zd262 (06-04-2015)

Senior Dog
      Thanks Laura! I'm going to try some of the bitter apple spray and see how it works. If it's great maybe I'll end up bathing in it to stop him from biting me!

House Broken
      Quote Originally Posted by zd262 View Post
      Thanks Laura! I'm going to try some of the bitter apple spray and see how it works. If it's great maybe I'll end up bathing in it to stop him from biting me!
      haha oh that'll do the trick and I've put it on my boots and pants before. We had a yellow once that loved it and you'd spray it on the rocker, she'd lick it off then go back to chewing the wooden leg lol eventually we switched to Tabasco sauce and that did the trick

Senior Dog
      Bitter Apple spray is saving our lives and furniture! Plus the look of confusion and disgust on Bubba's face is priceless

Real Retriever
      So glad it's working for you!
      Hidden Content Theo 8/14/14

Senior Dog
      Mocha didn't like the bitter apple, but he didn't hate it either. It was moderately successful. Although it does wear off and you need to re-spray (cabinets in Mocha's case).

I did try putting in on my hand and it did curb Mocha's biting. However, remember to thoroughly wash you hands before having a snack. Yuk!

Best Friend Retriever
      Quote Originally Posted by teej89 View Post
      haha oh that'll do the trick and I've put it on my boots and pants before. We had a yellow once that loved it and you'd spray it on the rocker, she'd lick it off then go back to chewing the wooden leg lol eventually we switched to Tabasco sauce and that did the trick
      Good heavens. Did you have my first Lab's sister???? That's exactly what mine was like. And we, too, switched to Tabasco sauce after I got tired of him eating my newly planted rose bushes. Funny!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
    Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos