• Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Tired
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
      Senior Dog
      Flat buckle collar for ID (nylon because I wash often). Nylon martingale for leash. Nothing on in the house.
      Hidden Content

Sunnie: gotcha day 03/08/09; birth unknown but given 07/01/02

Danny: The Sundance Kid....Sunnie's boy....birth 03/31/09 (in my living room)

Barb (ID formerly "Baffle")

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SunDance For This Useful Post:

Hammy (03-02-2016)

Real Retriever
      Cool

I echo the Martingale for leash and walking. My little Murphy slipped out of his flat collar on a walk when he was about 6 months old. Martingales ever since then!!!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Murphy030813 For This Useful Post:

Hammy (03-02-2016)

Senior Dog
      Martingale here, naked in the crate.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Doreen Davis For This Useful Post:

Hammy (03-02-2016)

Senior Dog
      I start baby puppies with a small adjustable nylon collar, then go to a med/large adjustable collar, since they grow so fast. Without an adjustable you would go through a lot of collars by the time your puppy is full grown! Like this 12 to 20 inch one would be the right one for now, since girls neck size rarely exceeds 20 inches. I also use a slip collar for walks, because they can slip out of this collar, and I echo others' comments on no collars in the crate, or when playing with other dogs, my ID/rabies tags are on the nylon collar.

Amazon.com : Lupine 1-Inch Sunny Days Adjustable Dog Collar, 12-Inch to 20-Inch : Pet Collars : Pet Supplies

Oh and edited to add, get yourself a good quality leather lead, the aren't inexpensive, but a well broken in leather leash is like butter in your hands, and wont burn your hands like a nylon lead.

I have a couple like this one
      Amazon.com : Signature K9 Braided Leather Leash, 6-Feet x 3/4-Inch, Burgundy : Pet Leashes : Pet Supplies

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Shelley For This Useful Post:

Hammy (03-02-2016)

Puppy
      We have a 12-20in adjustable flat collar already but it seems to be a split decision around here for what to use on leash and walking. I guess I will go pick up a nylon martingale and see what works best once we have her home. Regardless of what we stick with I know the no collar while in crate rule. Thanks again for all the great advice!

Senior Dog
      An idea for you, I used a martingale too. I HATED it, it was so fiddly to put on and off because to fit correctly it had to be re-adjusted each time. However you can get a quick release one, fit the size to where it's supposed to sit, then just squeeze to open, click to close.

Amazon.com : Chain Martingale w/ Quick Release - Medium - Black - Dog/Pet Collar : Pet Choke Collars : Pet Supplies

The link is only for the picture, which should come up in pink so you can see where the quick release is. I prefer the ones with a chain part as in the link but mine was all nylon, which you can get, your choice.
      Hidden Content

Closest I ever got to a half decent stack for Oban's 10th birthday, which was Oct. 15, 2017. Hidden Content

Senior Dog
      Quote Originally Posted by Snowshoe View Post
      An idea for you, I used a martingale too. I HATED it, it was so fiddly to put on and off because to fit correctly it had to be re-adjusted each time.
      Interesting ... I have a couple martingales and have never had that problem - I just slip them over their heads. It’s a snug fit, but doable. Used them on Mulder, Chloe, and the pups at one point or another.
      Annette

Cookie (Jamrah’s Legally Blonde, BN) 6/4/2015
      Sassy (Jamrah’s Blonde Ambition, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC Windsong’s Femme Fatale, UDX2, OM4) 6/7/2009

Remembering:
      Scully (Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, RN) 4/4/1996 - 6/30/2011
      Our foster Jolie (UCh Windsong’s Genuine Risk, CDX, WC) 5/26/1999 - 3/2/2014
      and Mulder (Coventry’s I Want to Believe, UD, VER, WC, RN) 5/26/1999 - 4/20/2015

Hidden Content

Senior Dog
      I LOVE Lupine too! If your dog chews it or destroys it, bring it back and they'll give you a new one
      Hidden Content
      Sarah, human
      Luna, born 6/14/13, gotcha 8/18/13 and TDI certified 5/12/2015
      Comet, born 4/3/15, gotcha 6/9/15
      Double Dip, 25 y/o Draft/Welsh pony
      Gracie, 17 y/o DSH cat
      Hidden Content
      Hidden Content

House Broken
      Quote Originally Posted by Hammy View Post
      We are definitely going to research trainers in the southern NH area to bring her to. I think I want to make training a regular thing and see where it brings us.
      Where in Southern NH are you located? If you are close to Manchester Gail Fischer is probably one of the best trainers in Northern New England. I would highly recommend her.

Puppy
      Is the flat nylon the one that has a flat plastic push in clip? I know most must know the different types and what they look like. Vs a belt buckle like fastener. I'm learning. I've used alot of them but not 100 % sure what all the names are.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
    Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos