• Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Tired
      Puppy

Looking for a Lab Rescue Organization

I am looking for a rescue that could possible take my 1.5 Yr old black lab.

She's the 2nd lab I've had, but do to a work relocation and the fact that she constantly attacks my other dog, I would like to find her another home.

Most of the people I talk to inform me that I should surrender her to my local ASPCA or Humane Society.

However, my fear is that whomever adopts her might not have any experience with labs and will end up mistreating her.

Any lab rescue or contact information would be appreciated. I reside in Texas.

Senior Dog
      This is the only one I know of but they might be able to direct you to others if this place isn't convenient.

heart of texas lab rescue

and they have this on their page, links to other lab rescues in TX:

Heart of Texas Lab Rescue

Senior Dog
      have you contacted the breeder?

Also consider all breed rescues not just breed rescues. Links above are a good start
      Last edited by Tanya; 08-02-2017 at 07:33 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Tanya For This Useful Post:

windycanyon (08-02-2017)

Chief Pooper Scooper
      Contact the breeder first. FYI, if the breeder does not welcome the dog back with open arms, then that type of breeder should never be supported.
      Jen & Tickle!
      Hidden Content

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JenC For This Useful Post:

windycanyon (08-02-2017)

Senior Dog
      Quote Originally Posted by JenC View Post
      Contact the breeder first. FYI, if the breeder does not welcome the dog back with open arms, then that type of breeder should never be supported.
      EXACTLY!!!! I've been involved in rescue for 20+ yrs, and the past 10 or more have been w/ the LRC, Inc Rescue task force. Our mantra is exactly this. Most reputable breeders are more than happy to take back their pups, regardless of reason, and may have even stated as such in contract form to ensure their pups stay out of the shelter system.
      If the breeder is not willing or able to take charge (shame on them), the LRC maintains a national directory to our local rescue groups. Click on this link to access those:

http://www.thelabradorclub.com/subpages/searchrescue.php. Just select a state from the list and leave all other fields blank. You will then get a list of all groups in that state. You may have to check the states surrounding yours as our local rescue groups are spread pretty thin, unfortunately.

Also, if you must go the route of placing your dog in rescue, please be honest about the other dog aggression. We are all volunteers, and many take dogs into their own personal homes w/ packs to foster (which is why I no longer foster....). Good luck. Anne
      Hidden Content
      The WindyCanyon Girls, Fall 2016
      IntCh WindyCanyon's Ruby Pink BN CD RA CC (2.5 yrs)
      IntCH WindyCanyon's Envy CDX RE JH CC (8.5 yrs)
      IntCH WindyCanyon Patent Nfringement CDX RA JH CC (11 yrs)
      IntCH WindyCanyon's Northern Spy CDX RA JH OA OAJ CC (12.5 yrs)
      IntCH WindyCanyon's Kanzi BN CDX RE JH (3 yrs)
      IntCH HIT WindyCanyon's Kiku A Fuji Too CDX RE JH CC (8 yrs)
      IntCH WindyCanyon's SweeTango CD RA JH CC (7 yrs)

Chief Pooper Scooper
      I've let a few small breeders use my boys in the past, and I've also stated to their puppy buyers that I'll take their dog back should life get in the way. You bring these dogs into the world, you have to be responsible for them.

Real Retriever
      I am surprised you cannot find one. In new england labs get rehomed in like a day. I just got an email about a 11 yr old lab and he was adopted so fast.

Seems like he has to be a one pet dog .

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Senior Dog
      Quote Originally Posted by brilewis View Post
      I am looking for a rescue that could possible take my 1.5 Yr old black lab.

She's the 2nd lab I've had, but do to a work relocation and the fact that she constantly attacks my other dog, I would like to find her another home.

Most of the people I talk to inform me that I should surrender her to my local ASPCA or Humane Society.

However, my fear is that whomever adopts her might not have any experience with labs and will end up mistreating her.

Any lab rescue or contact information would be appreciated. I reside in Texas.

I love how the Original Poster comes here, asks this question, then never logs back in with news or an update. I also love how people think that rescues and the ASPCA or local Humane society (Not HSUS they just take your money and kill dogs, run no shelters etc...) has endless resources to rehabilitate a dog aggressive dog. Uhm, no they don't and they won't take the liability of it either, why pass this poor dog around until he hurts someone? Did you purchase him from a breeder?

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shelley For This Useful Post:

barry581 (08-06-2017), ZEKESMAN (11-02-2017)

Puppy
      Wags Pet Adoption is a good choice for your concern. They do specialize in their line of work. They will surely help you with your labrador.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
    Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos