• Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Drunk
  • Geeky
  • Grumpy
  • Happy
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Tired
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Results 11 to 20 of 31
    1. #11
      Senior Dog
      windycanyon's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2014
      Location
      C. WA
      Posts
      1,360
      Thanked: 1007
      Quote Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
      Don't you have in your contract that buyers should have puppy checked by a vet ASAP after pickup? I thought that was the norm, perhaps not.
      If so, why are you buying supplies and apparently doing veterinarian work; dewormers, microchips, vaccinations?
      No Bernie, have no idea where you get your info from. I and many other breeders pay for all microchipping, Vet Well checks, Eye checks (yes, w/ the Ophthalmologist 90 miles away) and give dewormers (these start at 2 wks old btw!)plus a couple vaccinations prior to release. We do this because we want our puppies leaving 100% healthy, w/o questions. If we didn't do vet well checks etc, do you think we could really feel comfortable? Afterall , most of us who are serious, are really breeding our litters for ourselves first and foremost. The last thing we'd want to do is cut corners on vet checks and such.

      PS, if anyone were to p/u a pup and fly it home, that pup needs a USDA Health cert in many cases too. You aren't going to get that w/o doing a vet well check.
      Last edited by windycanyon; 11-28-2016 at 02:34 PM.
      Hidden Content
      The WindyCanyon Girls, Fall 2016
      IntCh WindyCanyon's Ruby Pink BN CD RA CC (2.5 yrs)
      IntCH WindyCanyon's Envy CDX RE JH CC (8.5 yrs)
      IntCH WindyCanyon Patent Nfringement CDX RA JH CC (11 yrs)
      IntCH WindyCanyon's Northern Spy CDX RA JH OA OAJ CC (12.5 yrs)
      IntCH WindyCanyon's Kanzi BN CDX RE JH (3 yrs)
      IntCH HIT WindyCanyon's Kiku A Fuji Too CDX RE JH CC (8 yrs)
      IntCH WindyCanyon's SweeTango CD RA JH CC (7 yrs)






    2. The Following User Says Thank You to windycanyon For This Useful Post:

      Tanya (11-28-2016)

    3. #12
      Chief Pooper Scooper
      JenC's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Colorado
      Posts
      2,167
      Thanked: 2125
      Quote Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
      Don't you have in your contract that buyers should have puppy checked by a vet ASAP after pickup? I thought that was the norm, perhaps not.
      If so, why are you buying supplies and apparently doing veterinarian work; dewormers, microchips, vaccinations?
      Because puppies are wormed several times before they are old enough to go home. Puppies also get their first vaccinations before they go home. Also, most breeders microchip their pups before they are sold and leave the house because this can properly identify the pups in the breeder's paperwork and also puts the breeder on record with the microchip company. I have my name listed as the "2nd contact" on the pups I bred with their microchips. If the dogs get lost and the owners can't be found, they can contact me and I'll do what's necessary to save the dog. Pups even get a first Vet Check up by a vet BEFORE they go home too. The "Vet check" after you buy a pup is so that YOUR vet can meet the dog, get them in the system, see the medical records, set up the shots scheduled and put a baseline of general health in their system. All NORMAL.
      Jen & Tickle!
      Hidden Content

    4. The Following User Says Thank You to JenC For This Useful Post:

      windycanyon (11-28-2016)

    5. #13
      Best Friend Retriever
      Bernie's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2016
      Location
      Ohio
      Posts
      517
      Thanked: 103
      Quote Originally Posted by JenC View Post
      Because puppies are wormed several times before they are old enough to go home. Puppies also get their first vaccinations before they go home. Also, most breeders microchip their pups before they are sold and leave the house because this can properly identify the pups in the breeder's paperwork and also puts the breeder on record with the microchip company. I have my name listed as the "2nd contact" on the pups I bred with their microchips. If the dogs get lost and the owners can't be found, they can contact me and I'll do what's necessary to save the dog. Pups even get a first Vet Check up by a vet BEFORE they go home too. The "Vet check" after you buy a pup is so that YOUR vet can meet the dog, get them in the system, see the medical records, set up the shots scheduled and put a baseline of general health in their system. All NORMAL.
      Oh, I understand that the breeder takes pups to vet for first shots, it was also my understanding that breeder requests new owner to take puppy to their vet for a checkup to protect both parties, breeder doesn't want one to come back 2 months later claiming something is wrong with pup. I suppose it's nice to socialize also.
      IMHO, microchips are overrated, there's a few assumptions along the way, but if I was to do it, wouldn't I want my name and address versus the breeder?

    6. #14
      Senior Dog
      smartrock's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Carolina in my mind..
      Posts
      3,858
      Thanked: 2349
      Quote Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
      but if I was to do it, wouldn't I want my name and address versus the breeder?
      Both of mine have microchips. I am listed as the first contact, the breeders listed as the second contacts. Mine also wear collars with ID information on them at all times when they are outside of the house. Should they somehow escape and either get their collars caught on something and pull free of them and keep running, or if someone were to steal either dog and remove their collars, having a microchip might help identify them by animal control, an animal shelter, or a vet when no other visible identification is available. I'm fortunate not to have had that happen but I would hope that anyone finding them running loose would get them scanned for a microchip.

      Both of mine had their first vaccines, had been wormed and examined by the breeders' vets prior to me getting them. I then took them within a few days.

    7. #15
      Real Retriever
      silverfz's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2016
      Location
      MASS
      Posts
      442
      Thanked: 124
      Got to ask, i see AKC papered puppies for 250$ in OH . My friend got one, it was a working farm. the parents and puppies looked great as per him and his wife. The pup came with shots paper work , a refund policy of if any thing is wrong on the first vet visit and 60 day warranty . I cannot tell why it is so cheap other than backyard breeder but does AKC paper even worth a penny . just curious what people think.

      When i picked by gigi who was a lab/gsd mix the lady had 10 puppies and took 3 females out and helped us pick from them with some input. but gigi was was not a pure breed and was a mix so we did not care.But we did pay 400$ [pure labs are expensive as far i know] which i thought was okay . she came with all her vet check up and some 60 day warranty and some sort of vet certification.

      He has had the pup for 2 months and thinks he is great. very mellow and not very high drive but just chills and cuddles unlike gigi who is naughty as hell and ate a pecan pie and raw chicken in a blink of an eye and caused trouble this weekend and had a good thankgiviing.

    8. #16
      Best Friend Retriever
      Bernie's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2016
      Location
      Ohio
      Posts
      517
      Thanked: 103
      Quote Originally Posted by smartrock View Post
      Both of mine have microchips. or if someone were to steal either dog and remove their collars, having a microchip might help identify them by animal control, an animal shelter, or a vet when no other visible identification is available.I agree on the need for ID, Rocco has address and phone number sewn in his flat collar, neighbors have called me when he went to visit and play, but I don't believe if someone steals your dog they'll be dumb enough to ask the vet to scan for a microchip. Running free and picked up by animal control; perhaps, but you can and likely will locate him there with the telephone. Now, talk to me about a long range GPS chip, I might be interested. That way if someone steals my dog I can go and visit them in person.
      Both of mine had their first vaccines, had been wormed and examined by the breeders' vets prior to me getting them. I then took them within a few days.
      Exactly. Took them where? To your vet? That's the question I was asking, why or what is being done twice? I need a vet, don't need a breeder to play vet.

    9. #17
      Best Friend Retriever
      Bernie's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2016
      Location
      Ohio
      Posts
      517
      Thanked: 103
      Quote Originally Posted by smartrock View Post
      Both of mine have microchips. I am listed as the first contact, the breeders listed as the second contacts. Mine also wear collars with ID information on them at all times when they are outside of the house. Should they somehow escape and either get their collars caught on something and pull free of them and keep running, or if someone were to steal either dog and remove their collars, having a microchip might help identify them by animal control, an animal shelter, or a vet when no other visible identification is available. I'm fortunate not to have had that happen but I would hope that anyone finding them running loose would get them scanned for a microchip
      If someone steals your dog do you think they'll ask the vet to scan for a microchip?
      Picked up by animal control, o.k., but you can locate them by calling there also.
      Talk to me about a long range GPS chip, I'll be interested. That way if someone steals my dog I can and will visit them in person!

    10. #18
      Senior Dog
      Shelley's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      United States
      Posts
      906
      Thanked: 1265
      Microchips are necessary for permanent identification for doing breeding clearances for VPI (Verified Permanent Identification) Verified by the vet prior to the testing being performed (be it x-rays or echocardiogram etc...) they scan and record the microchip number. I microchip my puppies before 8 weeks, because that number goes onto their eye exam paperwork, and their health exams.

      I worm my own puppies starting at 2 weeks old, (There is no reason to take the whole litter to the vets office to be wormed every 2 weeks, so I do it myself), I microchip my puppies with chips I purchased and I am listed as the implanter, My Veterinary ACVO ophthalmologist scans each puppy before the eye exam, and marks their chip number on the form as VPI. I vaccinate my puppies a few days before going home. When I take my puppies for a well puppy health check before they go home, my vet verifies the microchips, checks stool samples, and examines them, she also supports me vaccinating my puppies at home.

      My vet supports me, we work together, it's not like either/or, or me playing vet. I am not sure what point you are trying to make Bernie?
      Last edited by Shelley; 11-28-2016 at 02:14 PM.

    11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shelley For This Useful Post:

      Tanya (11-28-2016), windycanyon (11-28-2016)

    12. #19
      Senior Dog
      Shelley's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      United States
      Posts
      906
      Thanked: 1265
      Quote Originally Posted by silverfz View Post
      Got to ask, i see AKC papered puppies for 250$ in OH . My friend got one, it was a working farm. the parents and puppies looked great as per him and his wife. The pup came with shots paper work , a refund policy of if any thing is wrong on the first vet visit and 60 day warranty . I cannot tell why it is so cheap other than backyard breeder but does AKC paper even worth a penny . just curious what people think.
      AKC is a registering body, not an indicator of quality in any way, shape, or form. You can put two of the sickest, worst examples of a breed together, breed them, and if both parents are AKC registered, the offspring is eligible for registration as well.

      This is why it is wise to shop carefully, when looking for a purebred dog.

    13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shelley For This Useful Post:

      Tanya (11-28-2016), windycanyon (11-28-2016)

    14. #20
      Senior Dog
      Tanya's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Eastern Ontario Canada
      Posts
      2,737
      Thanked: 1560
      Quote Originally Posted by silverfz View Post
      Got to ask, i see AKC papered puppies for 250$ in OH . My friend got one, it was a working farm. the parents and puppies looked great as per him and his wife. The pup came with shots paper work , a refund policy of if any thing is wrong on the first vet visit and 60 day warranty . I cannot tell why it is so cheap other than backyard breeder but does AKC paper even worth a penny . just curious what people think.

      When i picked by gigi who was a lab/gsd mix the lady had 10 puppies and took 3 females out and helped us pick from them with some input. but gigi was was not a pure breed and was a mix so we did not care.But we did pay 400$ [pure labs are expensive as far i know] which i thought was okay . she came with all her vet check up and some 60 day warranty and some sort of vet certification.

      He has had the pup for 2 months and thinks he is great. very mellow and not very high drive but just chills and cuddles unlike gigi who is naughty as hell and ate a pecan pie and raw chicken in a blink of an eye and caused trouble this weekend and had a good thankgiviing.
      As mentionned - AKC is strictly a registry. it's not worthLESS but it's not worth a lot. It says zero about health and temperament of the dogs or quality of the breeder. Breeder doesn't have to "do" anything other than ensure he buys a labrador wtih papers (full) and that he breeds to another lab with papers (full breeding rights) and then send the info to AKC about the litter so they are registered as pure bred. Remember a lab isn't a "lab" no matter what. Sometimes people buy cheap dogs and are lucky. dogs have good temperment and no health issues. but it's a gamble with the odds not on your side as parents didn't have any clearances (to know if they were carrier of anything, had good hips/elbows/eyes/heart).

      Now a breeder is NOT good only by the fact they charge "a lot". a breeder is good based on what they do as a breeder in choosing dogs to breed, does clearances, proves their dogs and raise litter with the best care.

      Quote Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
      If someone steals your dog do you think they'll ask the vet to scan for a microchip?
      Picked up by animal control, o.k., but you can locate them by calling there also.
      Talk to me about a long range GPS chip, I'll be interested. That way if someone steals my dog I can and will visit them in person!
      No a microchip won't help if the dog is STOLEN (unless you track them down and then you have a case against them if the dog is chipped to you). It DOES help if the dog escapes or gets lost. Shelters and pounds almost all have scanners and can call the owners right away. Finders of the dog can bring it to any vet to be scanned and you are contacted right away. VS without a chip the dog ends up at the pound or shelter or finder's house until you "track them down". I don't think that many dogs get stolen though. Many do get lost.

    15. The Following User Says Thank You to Tanya For This Useful Post:

      windycanyon (11-28-2016)

    Quick Reply Quick Reply

     



    Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
    Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •