• Innocent
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Tired
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
      House Broken

Unhappy Leeloo my 12 yr old lab has been stinking

My husband took her to the vet last month for her check up and they said she needed her anal glands cleaned. She didn't seem to have any problems prior to this, she didn't smell. But this week she has been smelling. My husband took her back to the vet, and they said her glands were full, and recommend that we have them cleaned every 2 weeks. They said she was in a bit of pain when they were cleaning her.

Any suggestions, something we might have missed? Her food hasn't changed. We feed her blue buffalo for Seniors.

It's so sad to see her aging. She doesn't go up or down the stairs, my husband built her a ramp, and she will go down the ramp, but then barks for us to help her up the ramp.

-Feeling sad,
      Mimi
      Hidden Content
      Leeloo Born April 12, 2004
      Happy Adopted December 8, 2013 (at 6/7 years old)
      Max. 4/12/04 - 9/25/17

Senior Dog
      Our first Lab Brutus already had a tendency to have filled anal glands when we got him at the age of three. His poop was always firm.

My husband got very proficient at emptying anal glands every so often. (vet showed him how)

[My joke was that my husband...a dentist...wouldn't tackle mouth issues with the dogs but had no problem sticking his finger......]
      Hidden Content

Sunnie: gotcha day 03/08/09; birth unknown but given 07/01/02

Danny: The Sundance Kid....Sunnie's boy....birth 03/31/09 (in my living room)

Barb (ID formerly "Baffle")

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SunDance For This Useful Post:

luvleeloo (12-08-2016)

Senior Dog
      Sometimes added fiber can help with that problem as it bulks up the stools a bit which helps the glands express naturally as they poop.
      Annette

Cookie (Jamrah’s Legally Blonde, BN) 6/4/2015
      Sassy (Jamrah’s Blonde Ambition, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC Windsong’s Femme Fatale, UDX2, OM4) 6/7/2009

Remembering:
      Scully (Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, RN) 4/4/1996 - 6/30/2011
      Our foster Jolie (UCh Windsong’s Genuine Risk, CDX, WC) 5/26/1999 - 3/2/2014
      and Mulder (Coventry’s I Want to Believe, UD, VER, WC, RN) 5/26/1999 - 4/20/2015

Hidden Content

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Annette47 For This Useful Post:

luvleeloo (12-08-2016)

House Broken
      thank you, I will try adding fiber to her diet.

Senior Dog
      Were they sure her glands were the source of the aroma?

I wonder if they were a little too enthusiastic about cleaning her glands the first time, the glands got inflamed or irritated, and are therefore producing more of whatever they produce causing the glands to fill more quickly. I haven't had issues with my pups having anal gland issues so I'm just speculating whether this is even a possibility. Sometimes people suggest a bit more fiber in the diet to increase the bulk of the stools, hoping to increase the pressure on the glands to empty themselves. However, the Blue Buffalo senior formulas appear to have 7% fiber, which seems like a good amount already. The (adult) food I feed has 3.5% fiber and ProPlan senior formulas seem to have about 5% fiber. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try, though. If they thought they were infected, might trying a round of antibiotics help settle things back down?

It always makes me suspicious when a problem starts up after an intervention that results in the suggestion that you come back every 2 weeks so that she (and your wallet) can be squeezed. Is there another way to handle this, in other words.

Anal Sacs Problems in Dogs (and Cats) | petMD

Senior Dog
      Happy

Handling the needs of an aging pet can seem overwhelming at times. You have been given good information regarding the anal glands. Kudos to your husband for building the ramp. We home seniors so ramps and rugs for traction are part of our life. Stylish, nope, but what needs to be done to make their life more comfortable.
      Hidden Content
      Kissing Bandit

9. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

luvleeloo (02-03-2017)

Real Retriever
      Boomer (he's nine) had an issue with his anal glands recently. In his case, he was on a food trial at the time. The hypoallergenic kibble had less fibre and was designed to have less waste/smaller stool. My vet recommended more fibre (I switched kibble) and more water. He suggested I add water to meals to improve hydration. Apparently, for healthy dogs who've had no prior issues with their anal glands, this can help. My vet looked a bit dubious as he said this so I suspect there might not be as strong a link between stool quality and keeping the anal sacs empty as I once thought. Whatever was the issue seemed to clear up though.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Java For This Useful Post:

luvleeloo (02-03-2017)

House Broken
      I have taken all the comments to heart. Switched back to her original dog food, had her on antibiotics and ointments. Nothing has helped. She also has a bloody discharge (she leaves blood spots where she sits). At one point she even dripped blood. The problem is only one side. The Vet couldn't feel any tumors. At this point, I think all that is left is for her to have them removed.

My only hesitation is that she will be 13 in April, but I hate seeing her so uncomfortable.

She is scheduled to go into Surgery on Monday.

Senior Dog
      Mr. Kleb, aka Andrew. Having no experience or good knowledge I can't offer good advice.

All I can offer is best thoughts and a hug. Please keep us posted.
      Andrew, Faye, Achilles, and Fitzi

Not gone, only gone on ahead - Bruno, Rex, BoJo, Kendal, Kingsley, Moonpie, Avis, Corndog, and now Stella

I invite you to visit my blog, Hidden Content .

Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law. -Douglas Hofstadter, professor of cognitive science (b. 15 Feb 1945)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Kleb For This Useful Post:

luvleeloo (02-03-2017)

Senior Dog
      Poor girl. Sounds like you've tried everything short of surgery. I hope the procedure goes uneventfully and the results are successful.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to smartrock For This Useful Post:

luvleeloo (02-03-2017)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
    Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos