• Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Drunk
  • Geeky
  • Grumpy
  • Happy
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Tired
  • Results 1 to 8 of 8

    Thread: Bumpy Boomer

    1. #1
      Real Retriever
      Java's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2015
      Location
      Canada
      Posts
      428
      Thanked: 237

      Bumpy Boomer

      So far, I've had about five bumps aspirated. Pretty routine. Last week, found a tiny, hairless bump about 1 cm below the hairless edge of his lower jaw. It was hard & had a bit of a peak at the time. Now it looks like a simple bump. Saw the vet today. It's probably nothing to worry about - a sebaceous something that's about oil, glands... something like that.

      A tiny chance it could be a mast cell tumour (which I thought happened on the body, not the jaw).

      Too small to aspirate. Can't be sure unless surgically removed. This means, of course, blood work as prep for the surgery, the surgery, and another cone of shame during recovery. Pet insurance won't cover the blood work and surgery because the cost will equal the deductible but if (I sure hope not and the odds are against it) he needs more medical treatments, insurance should kick in then.

      Advantages of Surgery:
      • I'll know for sure it's not mast cell
      • if it turns out to be mast cell, probably low grade so high odds of clean margins
      • I won't have to monitor the bump for changes

      Disadvantages of Surgery:
      • it's surgery and Boomer's older than the last time
      • it's probably not mast cell and money will be spent that doesn't need to be

      In the two and a half years I've had Boomer, he's had to wear the cone of shame four times. He's had three surgeries. I was SO happy to have a cone-of-shame-free summer with Boomer. The blood work we'll do because it might indicate something that might be related to his recent bouts of nausea and buy me time to make a decision.

      This is me thinking this whole thing out.

    2. #2
      Senior Dog
      Happy
       
      POPTOP's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Illinois
      Posts
      9,668
      Thanked: 5647
      Oh, the dilemma! Have had these discussions with myself on several occasions.

      Whatever you decide, you know Boomer the best and will do what is best.
      Hidden Content
      Kissing Bandit

    3. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

      Java (10-30-2017)

    4. #3
      Senior Dog
      Tanya's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Eastern Ontario Canada
      Posts
      2,734
      Thanked: 1551
      Hard choice. If I knew I'd be at peace with not doing the surgery - i'd probably not do it. But if I was going to just stress big time and I could swing it I may consider the surgery for peace of mind (hopefully). I don't think there is a wrong answer either way.

      Fingers crossed bloodwork is good and it doesn't grow or get "weirder".

    5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tanya For This Useful Post:

      Java (10-30-2017)

    6. #4
      Senior Dog
      Annette47's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Central NJ
      Posts
      2,088
      Thanked: 1856
      I think for me it would depend on what I would do if the lump came back malignant. If I would pursue treatment, then I’d do the surgery to have it biopsied. If I would just keep him comfortable and not be at all aggressive with treatment, then I wouldn’t. Not an easy call by any stretch. Personally, I don’t let money come into my decision making, but I know not everyone has that luxury.
      Annette

      Cookie (Jamrah’s Legally Blonde, BN) 6/4/2015
      Sassy (Jamrah’s Blonde Ambition, BN) 6/4/2015

      Chloe (HIT HC Windsong’s Femme Fatale, UDX2, OM4) 6/7/2009


      Remembering:
      Scully (Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, RN) 4/4/1996 - 6/30/2011
      Our foster Jolie (UCh Windsong’s Genuine Risk, CDX, WC) 5/26/1999 - 3/2/2014
      and Mulder (Coventry’s I Want to Believe, UD, VER, WC, RN) 5/26/1999 - 4/20/2015

      Hidden Content

    7. The Following User Says Thank You to Annette47 For This Useful Post:

      Java (10-30-2017)

    8. #5
      Senior Dog
      shellbell's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      St. Louis area
      Posts
      830
      Thanked: 492
      Tux is nine, he has one fatty tumor I found a few years ago that was super simple to aspirate, and came back fine. About a year and a half ago I noticed a small hard bump on his right ear flap. I showed the vet, and she said b/c of where it is at, it is impossible to aspirate b/c the needle would go right through his ear and it would be a “big bloody mess”. She said if it ever grew in size to where she could get a needle in there she certainly would for my peace of mind. She did not seem concerned at all, but of course I sat and obsessed over it. We had a couple of other visits for to her for various reasons, and I would always mention the bump, she would look at it and say it was still not possible to aspirate it. The fact that she didn’t act concerned would always put my mind at ease. At a visit we had earlier this year I actually asked her point blank if it could possibly be a mast cell tumor. She did not think so, she said MCT’s usually rear their ugly head in some form to make it obvious pretty quickly that is what is going on. It’s now been a year and a half since I first noticed this bump. Tux had senior bloodwork done last month and everything came back perfect. I can always feel the bump when I pet his ear but at this point I don’t worry about it at all. I’m another one who doesn’t make decisions based on cost, but if it were me I think I’d opt not to do the surgery at this point for the sake of not putting Boomer through it. Continue to monitor, do yearly bloodwork, pay attention to any behavior changes, etc.

    9. The Following User Says Thank You to shellbell For This Useful Post:

      Java (10-30-2017)

    10. #6
      Real Retriever
      Java's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2015
      Location
      Canada
      Posts
      428
      Thanked: 237
      Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
      Fingers crossed bloodwork is good and it doesn't grow or get "weirder".
      Heartfelt agreement from me.

    11. #7
      Real Retriever
      Java's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2015
      Location
      Canada
      Posts
      428
      Thanked: 237
      All valid points (I've read them all several times). I'll have to wait for the blood work.

    12. #8
      Real Retriever
      Java's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2015
      Location
      Canada
      Posts
      428
      Thanked: 237
      Blood work indicates liver enzymes higher than back in February. No surgery because liver metabolizes anaesthetic and we need to test it first. Since he's had two bad episodes of nausea this past month and low key episodes for the past few months that I thought was anxiety (but in retrospect must've been nausea), we're going to start down the testing path.

      1. how liver responds after eating (bile acid response test?)
      2. test for Cushings disease
      3. x-ray & ultrasound imaging of liver
      4. removal of a bit of liver for pathologist

      None of this will be covered by insurance as they excluded the liver due to a test result from before adoption.

      One step at a time, I guess.

    Quick Reply Quick Reply

     



    Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
    Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •