• Secret
  • Shy
  • Tired
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's so Quiet!

Senior Dog

It's so Quiet!

How is everyone's senior doing?

Rocky is hanging in there. he has been better after a lull just before Christmas. he is overall getting weaker in the back-end. I am overly cautious about how he eats (standing VS sitting) and how long. He handles the cold weather like a champ but we've done a complete change in weather which I hope is what has him weaker this week. He was quite low yesterday and this morning Low: his back legs bend and his tail is touching the ground - i gage how much tail is touching to evaluate how bad). Now, he doesn't seem to be in any pain but it cannot stand seeing it when he gets really low. It really affects me I may yell at him to lay down :P I know I know, bad momma.

We are trying home cooked again, 1/4 of each meal is home cooked. Finding my routine in that. So far no issues with his tummy so this is seeming better than the "home cooked on weekends" plan I had tried.

His progression isn't what I expected. I figured he'd not be able to get up or not be able to walk. But instead his just gets lower and lower. Which, honestly, might make it all the harder. If this is how it happens we may just keep going until I can't stand to see him so low so much of the time (he is not always low, but the "periods of being low" are more regular).

Otherwise no real issues. I hate to jinx it but no real poop-cidents since before my parents were here for the holidays (mid-december)

Senior Dog
      Sounds like he's doing well, all things considered. Jolie did that getting lower and lower thing too but since she didn't seem to be in any pain, we didn't worry about it too much. What we eventually lost her to (splenic tumor) was unrelated so I don't know what would have happened in regards to the hind-end stuff had that not happened.
      Annette

Cookie (Jamrah’s Legally Blonde, BN) 6/4/2015
      Sassy (Jamrah’s Blonde Ambition, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC Windsong’s Femme Fatale, UDX3, OM5) 6/7/2009

Remembering:
      Scully (Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, RN) 4/4/1996 - 6/30/2011
      Our foster Jolie (UCh Windsong’s Genuine Risk, CDX, WC) 5/26/1999 - 3/2/2014
      and Mulder (Coventry’s I Want to Believe, UD, VER, WC, RN) 5/26/1999 - 4/20/2015

Hidden Content

Senior Dog
      Bemused

Tanya, my heart aches for you and your boy. It's SO hard to watch them go down slowly.

Sending prayers and MOJO and good thoughts and MANY HUGS.
      Hidden Content

CRACKER-My Heart Dog FOREVER 6/10/2005-7/9/2011

Mike and Gabe--GOTCHA 7/25/2011

Senior Dog
      Cool

Rocky is a champ! Just try to relax. If he is not in any pain, don't worry about it. From my understanding he moves around okay?

Cookie had a flare-up in his arthritic elbow when we had a significant temperature drop. He was on NSAIDs for 10 days, and had 15 sessions of PT. He seems better now, I hope it lasts.

Senior Dog
      Good old Rocky, hanging in there. Do you think with his breathing issues using one of those doggy wheelchairs to support his back end would work or would it be too hard on him? You've mentioned that using one of those slings is hard for you (didn't you or did I dream that?) The one I'll post a link to says the dogs can still use their back legs for walking, if they can, or their legs can be supported off the ground. I'm guessing they're not inexpensive. I see some on eBay but not our local craigslist. I don't know what other used pet equipment sites you might have access to.

Walkin Wheels Dog Wheelchair | Wheelchairs for Dogs of all Sizes

Senior Dog
      Happy

Rocky is giving the energizer bunny a run for his money. So good to hear. Sending gentle hugs and pats.
      Hidden Content
      Kissing Bandit

Senior Dog
      Thanks everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Berna View Post
      Rocky is a champ! Just try to relax. If he is not in any pain, don't worry about it. From my understanding he moves around okay?

Cookie had a flare-up in his arthritic elbow when we had a significant temperature drop. He was on NSAIDs for 10 days, and had 15 sessions of PT. He seems better now, I hope it lasts.
      Hope he's good for a long while after that! The cold is hard on most older pups

Quote Originally Posted by Annette47 View Post
      Sounds like he's doing well, all things considered. Jolie did that getting lower and lower thing too but since she didn't seem to be in any pain, we didn't worry about it too much. What we eventually lost her to (splenic tumor) was unrelated so I don't know what would have happened in regards to the hind-end stuff had that not happened.
      so you've seen it! it's just weird to see.

I won't do the wheelchair thing. If it gets to that it means it is Rocky's time. He's still doing his around the blocks (more than we got this summer really).

Senior Dog
      Kimber is struggling. She almost always needs help getting up now. Before the holidays, she could still get up if she was laying down next to a wall or sofa, something she could lean against. Now she can't get her legs under so we have to pick her up. Right now, we rarely leave her alone so one of us is almost always around to help her, but I'm really concerned when DH goes back to work in a few weeks and she's in the house by herself. She's going to lay down somewhere, and not be able to get up.

Like Tanya, we are not going to do the wheelchair thing.

She still enjoys her twice a day strolls around the yard (which is 4 acres, so it's a decent stroll), and of course her appetite is still healthy. We are doing a long-distance move in a few weeks, so this is just another big stressor, sigh.
      Miss Kimber, CGC, 6/15/2005-1/26/18

Hidden Content

Senior Dog
      Ram is doing alright. We have adjusted to him not being able to do the stairs anymore. I probably yell at him too much to be careful. I plan to start the hydrotherapy again with him in April which we will continue to do all summer since the heat bothers him. Hugs for Rocky, Cookie and Miss Kimber.
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -sany0345-custom-jpg  

Senior Dog
      Cool

Guys, what are your reasons for not trying the wheelchair? With Cookie, what's troubling me is the arthritis in his front leg, so when his back end weakens I don't know if it would be of any help to get a wheelchair.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
    Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos