Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dog Friendly East Coast Beaches?

We are in search of some ideas for dog friendly east coast beaches. We traveled to the Outer Banks, Tybee Island in GA, and Stone Harbor/Avalon, NJ many times with our dog Boomer, but we would like to try something new. I visited Hilton Head and Kiawah Islands in SC as a kid, but never with a dog. Any recommendations? My hope is to plan something for next summer, and if Maggie goes into heat soon, we would like to schedule something for the off season (so far, this summer is planned- or not planned, I should say around my dogs impending first heat cycle). We like to be able to walk the dog on the beach in the AM and PM and possibly take her to a town area/ outdoor restaurants, etc. Thank you!

St Augustine (NE Florida) is very dog friendly! Many hotel/motels accept dogs and most restaurants with an outdoor seating area allow dogs. Dogs are allowed on the beaches -leashes are required during certain times but you can almost always find a quiet area where no one will care if dogs aren't leashed. You can also drive a vehicle onto the beach (i know, it sounds odd, but it is very cool) so you can bring all your stuff and unload in a secluded spot.
    Hidden Content

Cornerstone's Lady Cassandra , CGC (Cassie)
    Cornerstone's Lady Rebecca, CGC (Reba)
    Born to love and be loved on July 31, 2010

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kelsyg For This Useful Post:

Maggie's Mom (06-18-2014)

Thanks for the recommendation! I just googled St. Augustine- looks like a great off season trip for us this fall or winter. Hopefully Maggie's hormones will cooperate!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Maggie's Mom For This Useful Post:

kelsyg (06-17-2014)

St Augustine is a really nice place to visit. Been there many times.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

kelsyg (06-17-2014), Maggie's Mom (06-18-2014)

Senior Dog
    Did a search, here's Dog Friendly beaches in New Jersey

Dog Parks Beaches in New Jersey | eHow

KAZ

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ZRabbits For This Useful Post:

Hilton head beaches have rules, Memorial Day weekend thru Labour Day weekend, no dogs on the beach 10am - 5pm, all other hours on leash or under positive voice control. April 1- Memorial day weekend and after Labour Day weekend till Sept 30 they have to be on a leash from 10am - 5pm, outside those hours on leash or under positive voice control. When I go for my evening walk on the beach there are always dogs running and playing in and out of the water. BUT I havent seen lots of "dog-friendly" restaurants, i suppose i havent been looking, and don't often eat out there.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Scoutpout For This Useful Post:

If you want to venture a little farther to the west of St Augustine, you might want to check out Cape San Blas/Port St Joe, FL. All Gulf county beaches are dog friendly 24x7x365. Most rentals are dog friendly as are most places to eat that have patios. Check it out: Gulf County Florida. The Official Site for Gulf County Tourism.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to csblabmom For This Useful Post:

Thank you for all the ideas- I really appreciate it!

House Broken
    I agree with csblabmom. St. George Island on the gulf side is very dog friendly. We are going to surfside beach, near Myrtle beach, this summer. We thought it was dog friendly per the s.c. website but the realtor is telling us it's not. Has anyone ever been there? Is Tybee Island dog friendly? I was told it wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by lovealab2 View Post
    I agree with csblabmom. St. George Island on the gulf side is very dog friendly. We are going to surfside beach, near Myrtle beach, this summer. We thought it was dog friendly per the s.c. website but the realtor is telling us it's not. Has anyone ever been there? Is Tybee Island dog friendly? I was told it wasn't.
    I love Tybee, but it is not the best dog beach. It had two fenced dog areas, but you cannot walk a dog on the beach. They also have a very large feral cat population. Which could be a problem depending on your dog because they are everywhere. My preference is to be able to walk my dog along the shore, so we are going to try another location this/ next year.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos