Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tell me what you can about Mast Cell tumors

A few months ago I posted about a pimple like thing on Dakota's back leg. It seemed to get better than appeared worse again. Tonight was her check up and it's a Mast Cell tumor. The vet says she will need to remove it for biopsy to see if it's benign or not. Otherwise she seems great for 12 but....I've been feeling things lately...like she seems more tired but I attributed that to her being 12. Also the vet says her weight is down a bit however her appetite is up.
    So please tell me your experiences with MCT s.

My yellow girl Fannie had a MAST cell tumor. We found a big lump under her left armpit just before she turned 15. My vet said to keep an eye on it, and in less than two weeks it had grown a bit, and turned a very ugly purple color. We did blood tests to make sure she could deal with anesthisia, and had the lump removed. My vet felt her got all the margins. He told me it may never come back, it may come back, or it may come back with a vengeance. 6 months later it came back with a vengeance, and within 3 days we made the decision to let her pass with dignity.

Senior Dog
    Mast cell tumor are very variable. Grade 1 tumors can often be removed completely and never present another problem. There can also be incredibly aggressive ones that can metastasize throughout the body quickly (as in Barry’s experience). Jolie had a grade 2 mast cell tumor removed when she was 12. The vet said it would probably eventually come back but that the odds were something else would get her first, which is what happened when she was almost 15.

Did they do a needle aspiration on it? How do they know for sure it’s a mast cell? Scully had what we thought might be one when she was 9, but it turned out to be a histiocytoma. I wouldn’t jump ahead and worry too much until it’s been removed and sent for biopsy.
    Annette

Cookie (HIT HC Jamrah's Legally Blonde, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015
    Sassy (HIT Jamrah's Blonde Ambition, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC OTCH Windsong's Femme Fatale, UDX4, OM6, RE) 6/7/2009

And remembering:

Scully (HC Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, TD, RN) 4/14/1996 - 6/30/2011
    Mulder (Coventry's I Want To Believe, UD, RN, WC) 5/26/1999 - 4/22/2015

And our foster Jolie (Windsong's Genuine Risk, CDX) 5/26/1999 - 3/16/2014

Hidden Content

Yes the vet did a needle aspiration and next week I will schedule the surgery. It is going to cost $700-$1000 and I still need to get China spayed. I know I know maybe it was not the smartest thing to do-getting another dog before I had the credit card paid off from Montana's journey, but Dakota seemed in excellent shape....but it is what it is. So I will take care of that surgery and then I will need a bit more time to have the $ to do China's spay. She is still bleeding anyway...so they want to hold off until it is done ( for goodness sake how much longer??)
    So I guess I wont have any more details on the severity of this until Dakota's biopsy results after the surgery.

What can I give her to boost her immunity?? How will we know if it has already spread or not?
    Jeez...this is what I get for having gotten 2 puppies at the same time. I just feel like I'm recovering from the initial trauma of losing Montana and now the thought of losing Dakota...she stayed by my side when I was sick, never leaving even for a drink.

So, I did a lot of research when one of my girls had a Mast Cell tumor on her flank removed a year ago. I have pictures of the tumor before and after it was excised, and the scar and how it healed. If you are interested in seeing them, PM me your email address and I will email them to you.

Both of these articles have a lot of good information, as well as the discussions I had with my vet. The Cliff Notes version is, you have to act fast, and be aggressive with MCTs, you only have the first time to completely excise it, with wide margins. They are Histamine producing/reactive and once they are stimulated, or 'wake up' via excision, biopsy or needle aspiration, you need to act quickly and aggressively. If you don't get it all the first time you excise it, it will have spread by the time it recurs, and it is all over. We did Huge margins, and unfortunately my girl has a recurrence, (adjacent to the anterior edge of her scar), and even though her mitotic index was low, as well as her grade, (it wasn't even graded as a grade one) and no other treatment was recommended at the time (oral chemotherapy, etc...). We know that her time is limited now, but her chest x rays are clear, and her stools and abdomen are still fine, and she is comfortable. When that status changes we will make decisions as they come.

These articles will answer a lot of your questions, and maybe generate a few questions of your own for the vet:

https://wearethecure.org/learn-more-about-canince-cancer/canine-cancer-library/mast-cell-tumors/

https://fightcaninecancer.wordpress.com/2012/04/01/mast-cell-tumors-in-dogs/

How much and for how long has China been bleeding? They shouldn't really bleed for more than 2 weeks or maybe a little longer, does it have a bad odor? Abdomen extended? Does she pee a lot? For timing when to do her spay, you want to make sure she is completely done with her season and all the blood vessels have gone back to normal, which for most girls is 2-3 months after her season started, and before she starts coming back into heat.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Shelley For This Useful Post:

MontananDakota (10-28-2016)

omg. Now Im really upset. I cant even imagine.....This really sucks. Why cant it just be old age?? I have to keep my head clear and just do what we need to do. I will make the appt. tomorrow for her to get this surgery done. Goodness I hope they can get clear margins. We can use a bit of mojo guys. Please.

As far as China-she started bleeding the day I brought her home October 1 and it was only a little bit. It still is a small amount, in fact I don't see it every day like before so I feel like it is way less...it still is rusty reddish, not pink or light pink or clear...and there is no odor. She pees every time I take her out, 1st time is 5 ish then again at 7 ish then again at 8:30. Maybe not much but she will a bit. Dakota though will go only once at 7 am then not again until I get home form work at 4:15 pm. I do not see anything out of the ordinary with China. She was examined the week before last and the vet said it can take weeks....Im confused.

I didn't mean to upset you, I am so sorry, I wish I had seen this post before I sent the pictures via email.

You have a plan, stay the course, and hope for the best, a good majority of MCT's do not spread, and are cured by wide excision.

My girls bleed for about 2.5 weeks, with maybe a little discharge after that, but not much. I am sure China is fine. Hang in there.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Shelley For This Useful Post:

no no don't be sorry. I'm just feeling a bit overwhelmed. I'll be under control though lol

With China in heat--what color is the discharge supposed to be? Is this rusty color normal?? What color would I be on the look out for if there were infection?? And if I saw this blood on October 1...it is now 10/28-what would you do?
    Last edited by MontananDakota; 10-28-2016 at 02:37 PM.

Senior Dog
    Ask your vet about giving Benadryl prior to the surgery. Mine didn’t suggest it with Jolie, but I have heard that sometimes it can help prevent the MCT from getting “agitated” and perhaps keep it smaller and easier to remove. Not sure how/if it works, but it’s at least worth asking about.
    Annette

Cookie (HIT HC Jamrah's Legally Blonde, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015
    Sassy (HIT Jamrah's Blonde Ambition, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC OTCH Windsong's Femme Fatale, UDX4, OM6, RE) 6/7/2009

And remembering:

Scully (HC Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, TD, RN) 4/14/1996 - 6/30/2011
    Mulder (Coventry's I Want To Believe, UD, RN, WC) 5/26/1999 - 4/22/2015

And our foster Jolie (Windsong's Genuine Risk, CDX) 5/26/1999 - 3/16/2014

Hidden Content

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Annette47 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Annette47 View Post
    Ask your vet about giving Benadryl prior to the surgery. Mine didn’t suggest it with Jolie, but I have heard that sometimes it can help prevent the MCT from getting “agitated” and perhaps keep it smaller and easier to remove. Not sure how/if it works, but it’s at least worth asking about.
    I will for sure, thanks for the information.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos