Puppy

Ten Month Old Fun Loving Intact Male x CGC Test = Poor Timing LOL?

So Marlin is going to be 10 months old next week and up until recently, he has always been one of the better behaved dogs in his training class. We have made it through kindergarten, beginner one, and now just finishing up beginner two. Once training sessions begin, he generally tunes everyone out and does what he is asked. Until two weeks ago. He has decided to take on the role of class clown . Adding to that is a touch of ocd, and this has become a recipe for disaster! This particular class ends with the CGC test, and the way its looking now, my boy is set on giving everyone a few laughs! For example, when we are practicing the leave it command, the room is scattered with stuffed toys. Obviously Marlin needs to walk past each obstacle without lunging for the toy. This was never a problem until two weeks ago when he decided to look at me, then grab the toy, then look back at me with a crazed look in his eye. Now, when I practice at home, he thinks its a game to just go for the toys. Another example is meeting a stranger who is walking a dog. Marlin should not bother with the dog. Again, he has nailed this in the past but not so anymore. Now, he starts acting like a love sick puppy. Oh, and that leads to the last problem... her name is Mia. As one of the trainers said, Marlin is in lust for her! So, just for the record, I'm writing this so that I can better prepare myself for Thursday! All kidding aside, I do know Marlin is at a stubborn stage and so the timing isn't the best. Also, I need to not take it so seriously and know that we can always retake the test at a later date! Still love my big clown!

LOL Oban got his CGN at 9 months but we had a couple of exasperating class sessions too. I always found a break in training helped, a short holiday. A couple of days to a week where we continued basic manners but otherwise just went out and had fun together.

Will Mia be in the same test? Will the test be in the same place you train? I always thought that would be an advantage but now I'm not so sure. Ours was outside at an all breed dog show and I was just like you, already mentally thinking it would be nothing more than another training class for the real test, a test run if you will. But Oban was overwhelmed by the new sights and sounds and smells and was good. Well, good enough to pass.

Good luck, just do your best.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

Marlin&Me (06-18-2014)

The good news is that your trainer has been training you for distractions suitable for the ADVANCED CGC or Community Canine, or a Therapy Dog test, such as the "leave it" command. People and dogs, noise like a book, pan, or chair dropping, not toys or food, are the only distractions I have seen in a CGC test. If class is hard, the test will seem easy in comparison. I would only practice with the toys if you can set it up that he can NOT succeed at getting the toys.

As for Mia, as long as she is not the dog you are greeting with its handler, you should be okay with training. I've read that 10 months of age is the peak of testosterone in a male dog. They are a challenged at that age, just being adolescents, and neutering doesn't seem to change that at that age. This, too, shall pass, especially with your commitment to training.

See how things go. CGC is pass or fail, but you would be amazed at how well dogs do. You can talk to the dog throughout the test, although one doesn't want to use a leash or voice correction unless you know you failed and you just need to control your dog.

The good news is that he is a typical Lab who loves toys and other dogs! Class clown is part of the charm. Swallow hard, smile inside, and keep on training. You can do it!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Charlotte K. For This Useful Post:

Marlin&Me (06-18-2014)

I was nervous taking my Linus in to get his at 7 months. It might help to read the AKC scoring rules so you can truly understand what they can and cannot do. For example, if your dog stands while being brushed, wiggles, or lays down, it's fine. They don't have to be obedience show perfect. The dog they use is usually a very well-trained dog that ignores others completely. My test dog was an 8 year old male GSD that could not have cared less about my pup so my pup was completely uninterested. They did throw kids into the crowd mix, which could have been difficult. The item they used for noise was a set of keys. There is not "leave it" in CGC and if your dog retrieves the keys, it's probably fine since it shows he wasn't startled or scared. I'm sure you'll do just fine. You can talk, praise, and encourage all you want, and I suggest you go a bit crazy with that in order to be the most interesting thing in the room. Have fun and good luck.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Labradorks For This Useful Post:

Charlotte K. (06-18-2014), Marlin&Me (06-18-2014)

Puppy
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlotte K. View Post
    The good news is that he is a typical Lab who loves toys and other dogs! Class clown is part of the charm. Swallow hard, smile inside, and keep on training. You can do it!
    Thanks all for such great advice! I am going to pay particular attention to what Charlotte K. said above. I've decided not to be so hard on myself, or Marlin for that matter. He is a wonderful dog; couldn't ask for better. The important thing for us should be to have fun.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Marlin&Me For This Useful Post:

Charlotte K. (06-18-2014)

Senior Dog
    Our CGC test was the last day of classes, which were in the evenings. A bunch of us deliberately brought our dogs to Doggie Day Care that day. Wearing her out beforehand was the key to Kimber passing her test.
    Stormageddon, Princess of Darkness, aka "Stormy"
    Birthday 9-13-18, Gotcha Day 11-11-18
    Hidden Content

Miss Kimber, CGC, 6/15/2005-1/27/2018 forever in our hearts

11. The Following User Says Thank You to kimbersmom For This Useful Post:

POPTOP (06-18-2014)

Have fun, he'll do great!

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos