Puppy

8 year old & odd behaviour

Hi
    I have looked through a lot of the forum to see if anyone else had asked about this but didn't see anything. If there is something I've missed my apologies.

Our girl is 8 years old. She's great! Lately - in the last couple of months - we have noticed some drastic changes in her behaviour. She has always been a pacer but it's worse now. She also seems to forget that she's eaten. It can be as soon as half an hour later and she's wanting more. I should pint out that we have not changed her food, schedule, nothing. She gets so ravenous she's jumps around and will cry and eventually bark at us. We try to fight it off with treats but will admit that we feed her again as the crying etc. is hard. She has always barked when we get home until she sees that it is us coming in the door but lately there has been a handful of times that she won't stop barking when we walk in and are removing our shoes. We have put that down to her eyesight going but also wonder if all these behaviours are part of a bigger picture. I should also add that through this excessive hunger she has not gained weight.

We have tossed the idea of diabetes. We will be taking her to the vet before the month is up but any thoughts in the meantime would be beneficial.

Anyone have any experience with this combination of symptoms?

Have the vet run a full blood panel and then see what shows up. There are some diseases where hunger is a symptoms. Any excessive thirst or excessive peeing?

Best Friend Retriever Snowco Labradors's Avatar
    Why do you suspect her eye site is off at age 8? Have you taken her to the vet for a full blood panel? That would be my first step. And if you think her eye site is off take her to a canine ophthalmologist to be sure.

I would suspect something internal, thyroid maybe. Do a full blood panel and if that is normal than do a full thyroid panel.

Full thyroid is T3, free T3, T4 and free T4. The one thyroid done in a full blood panel is T4 and that is not enough to diagnose a thyroid issue.

Hoping you get her in for testing, get answers and can resolve it.

Puppy
    There is no excessive peeing and there are periods of excessive thirst - just when we start to think it's excessive she backs off. There are other reasons more than coming in the door to lead us to believe that her eyes are poor - that was just the most apparent example I gave.

We will definitely be starting with full blood work.

I have no experience with these symptoms but would do a vision test on her. Sorry she is not herself lately.
    Hidden Content

Murphy at Carmel Beach

Born 5/1/05
    Found his forever home 1/21/12

Puppy
    I suggest to bring her in a veterinarian.

Definitely see a vet. Please keep us posted.
    Cookie Black Snowflake
    July 12th, 2006. - May 25th, 2023.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

Senior Dog
    Agree with the rest, definitely go to the vet. So sorry your girl is going through this.

KAZ

Dogs do get Dementia. Some of those behaviours sound familiar. She's only 8 but my neighbour's dog, the one I learned about this from, was only 10. He too ran the gamut of health considerations and was very happy to find a spit back molar as one of his dog's signs was no appetite. But the tooth was pulled and it made no difference. Good luck, hope it is something relatively easy to work with.

A regular vet can give the eyes a look before you invest in an ophthalmologist.

When Maddy got sick, we were able to see that there was a lack of connection from her eyes to her brain. Wasn't an eye issue, but a brain issue. The pacing concerns me too. Is it circling? Does the dog bump into walls and get stuck at all?

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos