My Tango (TT = Terrible Tango) ordeal

Some of you know me well enough to say I can rag on certain things from obedience to trimming/dremeling nails to yes, cleaning teeth.

So a few months ago, I spotted an odd lump (thought it was a boney outgrowth from the palate as I also have) above Tango's upper left canine. I took a photo and pretty much forgot... I hate to say it but w/ my dad dying, the memorial planning/ travel and all going on in my professional life too, I lost my normal "control" of things. So fast forward to October when I was doing teeth again (I did them in between that too, but didn't even think to look that far up on the gum line). It had doubled so off to the vet we we went. First was a needle aspirate which brought up spindle cells/ no overt malignancy, but it called for a more complete biospy. That was done via laser w/ my regular vet (in retrospect wish I'd done that first). Came back low grade malignant fibrosarcoma. (could definitely had been worse).

Tango had surgery the following Tues to more completely eradicate the growth which meant taking her upper canine and some of the underlying bone. The good news is it's not hereditary.... that was my real concern!!! The vet said this one "Just happens". The bad is we just wait and see the next 4 mos or so on whether they got it all.

Anyhow, if I can spew a bit... this is why we all really do need to examine our dogs' mouths etc regularly. I try to do tartar scrapes/ teeth brushing w/ enzymatic paste--- dental checks every 3 mos or so at the most. Full body checks should be even more regularly...

So we were back to the vet today 1 wk post op to check up since "TT" aka Terrible Tango had ripped out all her stitches on Sunday (most likely on a walnut or 2). All looks pretty good but on another 10 days of antibiotics just in case since that surgical site is wide open (and it was taken down into bone).

Pics attached are from early stage to Oct., then vet pics (stacked). Oops, guess the vet ones show first.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -img_9644-jpg   -tango42516-jpg   -tango100916mouth-jpg  
    Hidden Content
    The WindyCanyon Girls (taken Summer 2018)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Northern Spy CDX RA JH OA OAJ CC (14.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Ruby Pink BN CD RA CC (4.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Kanzi BN CDX RE JH (5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon ItsOnlyMoneyHoneycrisp BN RN CC (16mos)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Pippin BN RI CC (2.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Envy CDX RE JH CC (10.5 yrs)
    IntCH HIT WindyCanyon's Kiku A Fuji Too CDX RE JH CC (10 yrs)

Senior Dog
    Glad it wasn't worse...good thing you spotted the change when you did. I brush teeth every day but honestly don't give the entire mouth a good eyeballing each time...but I do feel along the outside of the gumline as I go along.

I agree on body checks. I've found lumps etc. while brushing but sometimes you actually need to be deliberately feeling for stuff. Nipples get checked (try to remember weekly but that usually guarantees that I'll remember "often" but not that often. Ears get smelled daily. Paws get examined while I'm filing nails (daily). You can find thorns, hidden ticks, etc., that could cause problems if they go unnoticed.

It feels a bit like overkill but then I remember my Thea...my little Maine Coon. Thea had so many skin cancers (of different types) that I lost count of surgeries. And three surgeries for breast cancers. I found all of those myself....while Thea was helping me do floor stretches/exercises. Little bugger always had either her head or her butt in my face. Some of those lumps were there one day but hadn't been at all the day before. That really hit home the need to carefully, frequently, check.

Glad it's good so far, fingers and paws crossed this is now over and done with.

Well that could Not have happened, thank you very much, but glad it isn't as bad as I bet you were trying to stop yourself from thinking of.

We play toofie games and check teeth. Oban likes it when I pull (fake) one out and take it and then put it back. Like you see people teasing little kids with their thumb fooling them into thinking their nose was taken. But it's a lot harder with cats and my old girl, 18, went in on Monday to have teeth out. We thought six would come out but only four.
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

Excellent information and reminder.

Poor Archie does not have all that many teeth left after his surgeries but I still keep an eye on them. Some of the ones he does have need to be closely watched as they are borderline OK.

With older dogs, lumps, bumps, skin tags, etc., live here and I keep a close eye on them. Shoot, what's better than doing a total body rub down on your pup.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

I've been really lucky about not having the lumps and bumps here. Mata (11.5) has one fatty tumor on her chest but doesn't bother her, and she's the only one who has ever required a dental and that was because she took a jump face on in agility once and broke an incisor, so I opted for a cleaning at the same time. I am pretty good about keeping the tartar cleaned and following up w/ enzymatic tooth paste. And of course brushing. They all like to gang pile on me if I try to take a midday nap, so I use that time for the rub down! Sonya (10) has a slab fracture on one her molars that I've been watching for a couple year-- not bothering her so far.

I am usually appalled to look in mouths of other peoples' dogs though. It's kind of surprising to me since dentals around here cost $350 on up for a big dog and I'd really rather not put my dogs under anesthesia w/o good reason.
    Hidden Content

7. The Following User Says Thank You to windycanyon For This Useful Post:

Georgia (11-03-2016)

Was really happy to see Tango snatch Russell's humongous chew bone just a bit ago and carry it to the couch... just to be a brat. Now mind you, she really is not supposed to be "chewing" but the fact she willingly picked that up (it's heavy) and carried it made me happy. I had wanted to take her back for her Open obed title and started to wonder if her mouth will be too sensitive for that. Time will tell I guess (I may have to buy a different dumbbell regardless).
    Hidden Content

9. The Following User Says Thank You to windycanyon For This Useful Post:

barry581 (11-03-2016)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos