House Broken

Old man no appetite

So my old man is 14. He has been through a few episodes in the past 1 1/2 years where he hasn't wanted to eat. Usually a little cheese, bacon bits, or gravy on top and he was good to go. He will still eat human food but doesn't want kibble. Want to feed him something healthy, but figure it is best if he eats. I feed Victors Beef and brown rice. Some have recommended a lower grade but tastier food. Give me some ideas. I don't have time for raw. In the past I have also fed Boiled chicken and cooked rice. I worry about feeding this very long as it isn't balanced. On a side note I have an appointment next Wednesday for a liver ultra sound as some of his blood work came back elevated. Thanks Vic

Glad you are taking him in for a check, that does need to be checked out first.

The old guys can be sly. He may just be "training" you to feed him what he wants. Wonder if his mouth/teeth are bothering him, a reason he wants a softer food.

Good luck with the vet visit. Please keep us updated.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

Chicken and rice can be modified for more nutrition. Meanwhile, just keeping him eating is more important than a perfectly balanced diet in each meal. Maybe he will eat yogurt or cottage cheese, mashed potaoes and mashed sweet potatoes, a cheeseburger in little pieces, etc. Do a search for Strombeck homemade diets for dogs with liver problems. (Home-Prepared Dog Cat Diets) Adding a little Prozyme (digestive enzymes) can help him get the most out of each bite. May things get easier for a while!

Alfalfa is a known appetite enhancer. I do a green mix w/ alfalfa, kelp, spirulina, pumpkin seed etc. NOt that mine need more excuse to eat but it's healthy.....
    Hidden Content
    The WindyCanyon Girls (taken Summer 2018)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Northern Spy CDX RA JH OA OAJ CC (14.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Ruby Pink BN CD RA CC (4.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Kanzi BN CDX RE JH (5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon ItsOnlyMoneyHoneycrisp BN RN CC (16mos)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Pippin BN RI CC (2.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Envy CDX RE JH CC (10.5 yrs)
    IntCH HIT WindyCanyon's Kiku A Fuji Too CDX RE JH CC (10 yrs)

House Broken
    Thanks I will keep at it

I agree at age 14 its more about getting him to eat than stressing over what he is eating.

I have never had a dog refuse Tripe, (the Tripett canned version is easy to get and store, and won't stink until you open the can), it is extra stinky, so if your old guy's sense of smell is going it may entice him to eat.
    Another thought, on the breeder boards we always talk about feeding picky mother dogs (mine are Labs they eat during labor and delivery! LOL) without an appetite, the Royal Canin Mother and Baby Dog Starter Mousse. I feed it to weaning puppies and it is like food crack for their moms too. There is always the Satin Balls, but I would wait until the liver ultrasound and blood work is done, It may just be time to give him whatever he wants.

Good thoughts and give him a gentle hug for me

Link to the mousse:
    Royal Canin® Starter Mousse Mother and Babydog Food - 3 Pack | dog Canned Food | PetSmart

Definitely check teeth first. My 11 y/o was being super picky. And despite nothing in her mouth, her face swelled up...turns out she had an abscess on a molar. Our old boy who passed a few years back preferred ANYTHING stinky and we ended up having to hand feed him before he passed.

Right now my spoiled 11 y/o is eating Fresh Pet Vital. She hasn't snubbed a meal since.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos