Sitting on an ice pack.

I get the world's stupidest injuries. For the second time, I pulled a muscle in my butt. This thing radiates in the nerves all the way down my leg and it's really painful. I can barely walk now. So now I'm sitting on an ice pack watching TV wondering where my evening went. I keep thinking I need a professional massage but I doubt anyone would do that for me.

Are you sure it's your butt? Pain radiating down the leg (even when the pain seems to originate in the buttock) is emblematic of a disk bulge. Just a thought.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TuMicks For This Useful Post:

janedoe (11-04-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by TuMicks View Post
    Are you sure it's your butt? Pain radiating down the leg (even when the pain seems to originate in the buttock) is emblematic of a disk bulge. Just a thought.
    Wouldn't I feel that in my back?

Edited to say: The ice worked very well. I'm stiff now but the pain is pretty much gone.

You question is something patients would bring up all the time. Their back did not hurt but leg/legs did. Could also be a sciatic nerve injury.

Then again, if the ice worked it may be your butt. I've had massages and with all the muscles involved in the butt, it's not unusual to have it worked on.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

6. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

janedoe (11-05-2016)

One thing that may cloud the issue is... you were uncomfortable with pain in your butt and down your leg, and you had to take it easy. So a back issue, just like a muscle strain will improve with rest.

But here's my 45 years of nursing practice philosophy: It might be something. It might not. (Profound! I know.) If it's something... it'll show itself (i.e., become worse or more chronic) and remove all doubt. If it's not, it'll just (1) continue to be episodic (2) never rise to serious pain or disability or (3) go away and never really bother you again.

If it just keeps coming back... then you can look into it further. The main thing is you're feeling better.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to TuMicks For This Useful Post:

janedoe (11-05-2016)

Senior Dog
    The pain that radiated down to my ankle sometimes is actually from a dysfunctional sacroiliac causing sciatic nerve pain. I'm in a bout of that right now and besides the sciatic pain on the left side (where the sacral joint has also dislocated recently, hence the lingering pain), I have just plain sacral joint pain on the right. I also had pain where the thigh meets the butt for a while. This area distributes the pain in many different ways. The exacerbation initially was from too much walking but the recent re-exacerbation was from too much standing. The weird injuries seem to come easy.

I've pulled a muscle in my back/butt before and ended up with Flexeril from the emergency room (had no clue what the problem was but the pain was excruciating in any position). There's no way that sitting on an icepack would have affected that area.

If you're actually sitting upright on the pack, the problem may be other than your butt (see my first paragraph).

Good thoughts for a happy butt!
    Last edited by SunDance; 11-05-2016 at 06:08 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SunDance For This Useful Post:

janedoe (11-05-2016)

What were you doing that might have caused that? You weren't twerking again, were you?

I learned that word here, on this board, and I think it was in a post of yours.
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

janedoe (11-05-2016)

Ram Jet Rocket Dog twerks. She's spayed. So I don't think it's sexual. Pretty sure she just thinks it's cute to back into us, flag, wiggle around and expect us to scratch her where her tail meets her back.

Senior Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by TuMicks View Post
    Ram Jet Rocket Dog twerks. She's spayed. So I don't think it's sexual. Pretty sure she just thinks it's cute to back into us, flag, wiggle around and expect us to scratch her where her tail meets her back.
    Our Honey (spayed) used to do that and jump up and down on her hind legs when she was being skritched there. This was pre-twerking. Since she was so excited, I always thought of it as foreplay.

Honey was also a dominance humper....she'd hump Hershey's head when he was sleeping on the couch.

Sorry, Lisa, this train seems to have jumped the track.

If I had been twerking, it would definitely would be my back. That ship sailed a while ago.

I started noticing this on a much lower level years ago when I was driving long distances consistently. It was localized then and didn't go down my leg. I just couldn't get comfortable after a few hours of driving. It seems to be the exact same spot. So much better today though. It was like it just seized up and pinched a nerve.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos